Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Fulfilling visa requirements for immigration - place holder

Fulfilling visa requirements for immigration - place holder

Old Feb 26th 2023, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fulfilling visa requirements for immigration - place holder

I expect to be rejected for the Parent Category visa application, but if accepted I would have to spend more than 6 months in NZ to activate and start qualifying (I think).

Three (two?) years for permanent residency.

Five years for citizenship.

Reminder for me to check if all this has to be continuous or if we can take a break during this time and be UK resident for a year.
This has major implications for our State Pension especially if there is raging inflation, because the UK State Pension isn't Index Linked for people in NZ.
Old Feb 27th 2023, 2:39 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Fulfilling visa requirements for immigration - place holder

Quick reply re UK state pension: You could choose to uplift the NZ superannuation ( state pension) and your UK state pension would be paid to the NZ government.

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 27th 2023 at 2:44 am.
Old Feb 27th 2023, 2:41 am
`

To gain permanent residency which means the lifting of travel restrictions on how long and how often you remain outside of NZ

You need to have spent at least 184 days in New Zealand on a resident visa in each of the 2 years immediately before you apply for permanent residence. This 2 year period is the time immediately before you apply for permanent residence, not the 2 years since your resident visa was issued.
Once you would have gained PR then you could leave for a year and spend that in the UK HOWEVER if you had uplifted the NZ superannuation in lieu of your UK state pension then that stops after 6 months of absence.
Old Feb 27th 2023, 2:44 am
`

Citizenship: For you there may be no real benefit to becoming a citizen. A permanent resident status may well be enough.

As far as I understand it the requirement to apply for citizenship is 5 years and one needs to remain mindful that the majority of that time is spent in NZ.
Old Feb 27th 2023, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reminders.

So 2 years in NZ for more than 6 months, then apply for permanent residence which may be all we require.

I'm not sure about uplifting the State Pension - we would need professional advice on pros and cons if we decide NZ is not for us long term.

Everything is belt and braces at the moment.