British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Frustrated and in need of advice please! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/frustrated-need-advice-please-767401/)

Behay6 Aug 6th 2012 1:03 pm

Frustrated and in need of advice please!

Hello all! I would be so, so grateful for any words of advice that you can offer as I am getting frustrated and fearful that my dreams will never come true.

OK, so here is our situation:- neither I nor my partner have a university degree, we have no family in New Zealand and neither of our occupations is on the shortage lists. Therefore, our only hope of moving to New Zealand is for one of us to secure a job offer. On the list of skilled occupations I qualify as an office manager with several years experience and my partner as a bricklayer. We have both applied for jobs in New Zealand from here in the UK and have received some very positive feedback about our CV's. However, ultimately, we have not yet been successful. I have wondered whether we would have more success if one or both of us actually went over to New Zealand and applied for jobs whilst there. However, my worry is that there must be thousands of Kiwi office managers and bricklayers for employers to choose from and if we were unsuccessful we would have to return to the UK with no job to come back to and several thousands of pounds worse off.

Can anyone offer any words of wisdom?

Thank you so much!

Jeanette

GoingIn2011 Aug 6th 2012 1:29 pm

Re: Frustrated and in need of advice please!

Originally Posted by Behay6 (Post 10212837)
Hello all! I would be so, so grateful for any words of advice that you can offer as I am getting frustrated and fearful that my dreams will never come true.

OK, so here is our situation:- neither I nor my partner have a university degree, we have no family in New Zealand and neither of our occupations is on the shortage lists. Therefore, our only hope of moving to New Zealand is for one of us to secure a job offer. On the list of skilled occupations I qualify as an office manager with several years experience and my partner as a bricklayer. We have both applied for jobs in New Zealand from here in the UK and have received some very positive feedback about our CV's. However, ultimately, we have not yet been successful. I have wondered whether we would have more success if one or both of us actually went over to New Zealand and applied for jobs whilst there. However, my worry is that there must be thousands of Kiwi office managers and bricklayers for employers to choose from and if we were unsuccessful we would have to return to the UK with no job to come back to and several thousands of pounds worse off.

Can anyone offer any words of wisdom?

Thank you so much!

Jeanette

I think ultimately you are going to struggle for the reason that you say.
What sort of points would you get if one you had an offer of a job?
Ultimately, even if you do end up being thousands of pounds worse off by coming out here, it is (in my view) better to have tried than to live a life of regret.