British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Flying in and out of the country (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/flying-out-country-505422/)

Here comes the sun Jan 11th 2008 3:21 pm

Flying in and out of the country

My husband and I have applied for a skilled visa (PR) we are both nurses and heading to Welly.

We are really short of cash mainly due to buying house then deciding to emigrate!! My husband is looking at doing contract nursing work in Iraq 3 months on 1 month off. We will fly in to Welly together then he his hoping to start work in Iraq straight away. Is he allowed to fly in and out of the country with permanent residency? Or are there any restrictions?

Lexylou Jan 11th 2008 3:33 pm

Re: Flying in and out of the country

I don't know about that really but i had no problems, in the year i was in NZ, I flew out 5 times, once to the UK, 3 times to Aussie and once to Tahiti. My hubby is a Kiwi and I never really got around to filling in the paperwork so that i could 'legally' be there and no one ever asked me what i was doing coming in and out, also, I have been back since for a holiday and again no one asked me.

newkiwi Jan 11th 2008 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Here comes the sun (Post 5773898)
My husband and I have applied for a skilled visa (PR) we are both nurses and heading to Welly.

We are really short of cash mainly due to buying house then deciding to emigrate!! My husband is looking at doing contract nursing work in Iraq 3 months on 1 month off. We will fly in to Welly together then he his hoping to start work in Iraq straight away. Is he allowed to fly in and out of the country with permanent residency? Or are there any restrictions?

Make sure your PR isnt linked to being employed (if you counted points for a job offer i think you may have to comply with employment regs, but i really dont know the details)

My PR stiker had a expiry date, so i had to be IN new zealand on that date, and if you spend more than 184 days in each year of the two preceeding years you get an indefinate PR sticker, other restrictions if you did not spend the required amount of time in NZ.

But if your not tied to being employed, then you can come and go as you please up the expiry date on the sticker. There will then be restrictions on renewing it after two years based on how many days you were in NZ in those first two years

Here comes the sun Jan 11th 2008 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by newkiwi (Post 5774005)
Make sure your PR isnt linked to being employed (if you counted points for a job offer i think you may have to comply with employment regs, but i really dont know the details)

My PR stiker had a expiry date, so i had to be IN new zealand on that date, and if you spend more than 184 days in each year of the two preceeding years you get an indefinate PR sticker, other restrictions if you did not spend the required amount of time in NZ.

But if your not tied to being employed, then you can come and go as you please up the expiry date on the sticker. There will then be restrictions on renewing it after two years based on how many days you were in NZ in those first two years

We dont have a job offer but im down as the principal applicant, he only wants to do it for 12 months to make some cash for a deposit on a house and to pay off a loan in the UK. Hopefully it will be okay!!

happynz Jan 11th 2008 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Here comes the sun (Post 5774166)
We dont have a job offer but im down as the principal applicant, he only wants to do it for 12 months to make some cash for a deposit on a house and to pay off a loan in the UK. Hopefully it will be okay!!

The visa situation should be OK. Working in Iraq should be more of a concern.

Here comes the sun Jan 11th 2008 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5774940)
The visa situation should be OK. Working in Iraq should be more of a concern.

Its a huge concern, but he's been out before with the RAF and many of our friends have been out several times. As a civilian nurse he will be working along side the military. Its fairly safe on the camps its the travelling thats dangerous. Nothing is without risk but thats why its paid so well, he can earn a years salary in 3 months.

happynz Jan 11th 2008 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Here comes the sun (Post 5775009)
Its a huge concern, but he's been out before with the RAF and many of our friends have been out several times. As a civilian nurse he will be working along side the military. Its fairly safe on the camps its the travelling thats dangerous. Nothing is without risk but thats why its paid so well, he can earn a years salary in 3 months.

3 months' salary equals a year's wages, eh? Not bad at all.

:cool:

CAN2NZ Jan 13th 2008 4:04 am

You know in reading the answers to questions like this I wonder if any one has actually emigrated or knows what they have in their visa.

If you have applied for and received a permanent resident visa, you have the right to live in NZ. You also receive a returning resdent visa. Please, all of you who answered this question, please look in your passports. You will notice that your visa is good for 24 months from your date of entry. That means you may leave and return to NZ during that 24 month period as many times as you like.

You will need to apply for a new visa when the returning resident visa expires. That second visa will usually be opened ended and you will qualify for it if you have ties to NZ, which means you have been a tax resident in the prior 184 days. The other criteria is clearely spelled out on the NZIS website.

I hope this answers your question and the rest of you who answered will now understand a little more about the emigration process you participated in.

This question also comes up frequently and you may find more interesting posts by searching the list.

happynz Jan 13th 2008 6:03 am

Of course CAN2NZ your information is correct, but you don't have to be so ****ing patronising.

Yotty Jan 13th 2008 6:29 am

Happy ... thats just his/her manner. well.. and the fact that he/she is Canadian!;)

CAN2NZ Jan 13th 2008 7:40 am

Yikes! Happy

Perhaps I was a bit harsh, but I am surprised from time that while good questions are asked, many posters show little respect to the person with the question and their earnest desire to have information. Instead those posting replies may post unhelpful information. Really, if you don't know the answer, don't post. The person asking the question wants help. Perhaps some are a little too lonely and are looking for social interaction wherever they can get it. We should be reaching out to them. Maybe they are crying out for help by making their posts?

Please don't get so bent out of shape and have some fun.

BEVS Jan 13th 2008 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ (Post 5780285)
Yikes! Happy

Perhaps I was a bit harsh, but I am surprised from time that while good questions are asked, many posters show little respect to the person with the question and their earnest desire to have information. Instead those posting replies may post unhelpful information. Really, if you don't know the answer, don't post. The person asking the question wants help. Perhaps some are a little too lonely and are looking for social interaction wherever they can get it. We should be reaching out to them. Maybe they are crying out for help by making their posts?

The above is hugely incorrect . Many of the NZ forum members give their free time and effort to post up all manner of helpful replies which come in all shapes and sizes. There really is no need to diss their efforts. You may not think everyone else's posts, other than your own, are much cop but all the replies are very welcome and are a huge part of the interaction of this site.

Please don't get so bent out of shape and have some fun.
Please do take the above advice. This site is for all & everyone that chooses to participate.

Have some karma for your own helpful posts to this little community. I hope you continue to share your posts with all of us.

CAN2NZ Jan 14th 2008 7:53 am

Thanks, but I have also lived in Christchurch in Dorset, East Grinstead, Basingstoke, Addlestone near Woking, Oxford, Newbury near Reading, Maidstone in Kent, and Gravesend, also in Kent. However, I drank the water LOL. I also looked around a lot and feel very good about having spent so much time in England. I really love it.

I have also lived and worked in the USA and the Bahama Islands.

krestsaf Jan 14th 2008 10:40 am

can i leave NZ and visit my sister in perth australia for a holiday when in NZ on either a WHV, work permit, or PR.

happynz Jan 14th 2008 11:11 am

Originally Posted by krestsaf (Post 5785231)
can i leave NZ and visit my sister in perth australia for a holiday when in NZ on either a WHV, work permit, or PR.

Yes. You would need a multiple entry visa though. Be sure to ask for it.