British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   flights (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/flights-501314/)

paul walters Dec 23rd 2007 11:13 am

flights

I've got a job offer and we're going to get medicals & work permit when we're in nz. I believe I will have to purchase return flight tickets or show evidence that I have made provision to leave the country, if I haven't got a work visa stamped passport. Is there a cheap option i.e. flights out to nz & tickets to fly from nz to aus? or are there any buy back type schemes for unused tickets? The prices I have looked at show an increase of between £700-£1000 for our 3 return flight tickets as opposed to single fares.

happynz Dec 23rd 2007 7:09 pm

Re: flights

Originally Posted by paul walters (Post 5699140)
I've got a job offer and we're going to get medicals & work permit when we're in nz.

If you have a job offer you should be able to get a work visa.

Originally Posted by paul walters (Post 5699140)
I believe I will have to purchase return flight tickets or show evidence that I have made provision to leave the country, if I haven't got a work visa stamped passport. Is there a cheap option i.e. flights out to nz & tickets to fly from nz to aus? or are there any buy back type schemes for unused tickets? The prices I have looked at show an increase of between £700-£1000 for our 3 return flight tickets as opposed to single fares.

If it is a job offer of less than twelve months then medicals and police clearances are not necessary. If the job offer is for a year than NZIS should issue you a work visa with onward passage waived as they are aware that plane tickets cannot be booked more than eleven months in advance.

With the visa in your passport you will be able to purchase a one-way ticket and upon arrival in New Zealand be issued a work permit valid for the length stipulated on your visa.

Good luck.

paul walters Dec 23rd 2007 8:14 pm

job offer permanent but they want me to apply for a 2 year talent visa (wtr). we want to fly out early feb, so it may be pushing things to rely on visa being approved in time as medicals haven't been done yet and if I make any mistakes on the application it may delay it even further. planning to fly out get medical and try for general work permit to allow us to apply for pr. just after any info on cutting down flight costs (if possible).

Maz Dec 23rd 2007 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by paul walters (Post 5700107)
job offer permanent but they want me to apply for a 2 year talent visa (wtr). we want to fly out early feb, so it may be pushing things to rely on visa being approved in time as medicals haven't been done yet and if I make any mistakes on the application it may delay it even further. planning to fly out get medical and try for general work permit to allow us to apply for pr. just after any info on cutting down flight costs (if possible).

Early Feb? You should be fine. Just take everything down to NZ House in person.

I got my job offer but not in enough time to get my visa before we had to be out there as I had a drop-dead date for starting. We came in as visitors but got refundable tickets for the return. These take a small age to get refunded, but after 2 1/2 months we're finally getting our US$4,500 back. :eek:

happynz Dec 23rd 2007 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by paul walters (Post 5700107)

I think it would simplify things if you can get your employer to offer you a one year contract (you can make it permanent later on if that is amenable to you both). Work visas are usually (not always, mind you) fairly quickly issued as long as you have a valid job offer and you have the the necessary qualifications and experience and the employer is in the position to offer a contract to a foreigner.
If you are able to secure your work visa you then can go ahead and get your one-way flights. You will be issued a work permit on arrival in New Zealand valid for the length stipulated on your visa.
It may be a push as you want to get out here by early February, but I think this may be the most efficient way.

Good luck.

Maz Dec 23rd 2007 8:34 pm

Oh hold on... if you don't have your police checks yet, you won't have time to get them. Happy is right. :) Again. :) Please heed his advice and ignore me. :)

paul walters Dec 23rd 2007 9:38 pm

i've got the police checks, I'll look into the refundable flight returns thanks.