British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Flight or visa first?????????????? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/flight-visa-first-760344/)

jjsebba Jun 1st 2012 1:25 pm

Flight or visa first??????????????

I know I've asked this before, but I just wanted a refreshed answer as time is drawing near.
We submitted our work visas yesterday.
Flights in July are going up almost daily.
I want to fly out on July 7th/8th.
Processing time for work visas (with hopefully no hiccoughs) are <25 days for about 95% of applications.
We have 2 bank holidays and I can't imagine they count weekends, so 25 working days would be beyond my preferred departure date....
there are about 23 working days between now and July 8th.

Do I:
1) book my flights today and hope and pray my visa arrives in time or
2) have to pay the difference to move the flight (which could be up to £600 or so) in flight costs because the visa doesn't come through in time or
3) wait and potentially have to pay double for a flight because it's short notice, and more likely, not be able to fly out on my chosen date because there are no seats left!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
answers asap please!
:ohmy:

simonsi Jun 1st 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Flight or visa first??????????????

Allow 2 weeks and book in the knowledge you may need to move the date.

Our WTR visa came back in 5 days in 2010.....

More time you allow, less risk of changing it and vice versa....

Deley Jun 2nd 2012 10:47 am

Hi
As you know we are going to wait until we have the visas before booking anything. Flights are looking expensive though:(

Have you read the following link from the immi website from the 'news' section?
Does this mean that the processing times are going to be longer?????:frown:

jjsebba Jun 2nd 2012 11:18 am

Hi Deley

Please post link so I can read it! Thanks

Originally Posted by Deley (Post 10096279)
Hi
As you know we are going to wait until we have the visas before booking anything. Flights are looking expensive though:(

Have you read the following link from the immi website from the 'news' section?
Does this mean that the processing times are going to be longer?????:frown:

Deley Jun 2nd 2012 3:35 pm

Hi sorry, forgot to add the link :o

Here goes

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...icechanges.htm

jjsebba Jun 2nd 2012 3:40 pm

Deley, I didn't think about it affecting us due to increased volume, but I guess it's a very good possibility! Eeeeek.
I think I'm going to book my flight for 7/6/12.
I'm damned either way as if I book it now and have to postpone it, I have to pay the difference in flight costs which will be more as flight prices are going up the further into July we go and if I don't book it until the last minute, I will end up paying a lot more as well because it will be later in July after the prices have gone up.
Got a quote from air new Zealand via la for a few days, leaving here 7/6 for £1260. Ouch.
Grrrrrrr!!!!

ellenl Jun 2nd 2012 7:24 pm

Hi,
I got a work visa through my partner the other week & it took 5 days but they had spelt my middle name wrong so my passport has gone back again, should get it back by end of next week hopefully!
Ellen

Clair_Hanan Jun 5th 2012 9:53 pm

Hi!

I'm slightly behind you in the process but having the same dilemma as you!

I'm waiting for my medical results ( damn you 5 day weekend!) and then will be submitting my temp work visa!

I've booked my flight for 17th July for the same reasons as you've said! I looked 2 weeks ago flights were £700 + last night £1200!!! If it went up agian I couldn't afford them! (I realise that if my visas delayed I'll have to pay to move them but fingers crossed eh!!)and am praying that my medical is fine + that the visa processes under the 25days!!!

Please keep me updated on how you get on and what you decide to do! x

jjsebba Jun 6th 2012 1:51 pm

Hi Clair_hanan

Yes, I booked my flights today for the 7th of July. Eeek.

What did you make of the 25 days target? I assume they wouldn't work weekends, so actually it amounts to a target of 5 weeks (which is too long for me) but I'm praying it doesn't take that long or I'll have to change my flight...and PAY through the nose.

Fingers crossed for all of us waiting for paperwork before we can fly!

Originally Posted by Clair_Hanan (Post 10102222)
Hi!

I'm slightly behind you in the process but having the same dilemma as you!

I'm waiting for my medical results ( damn you 5 day weekend!) and then will be submitting my temp work visa!

I've booked my flight for 17th July for the same reasons as you've said! I looked 2 weeks ago flights were £700 + last night £1200!!! If it went up agian I couldn't afford them! (I realise that if my visas delayed I'll have to pay to move them but fingers crossed eh!!)and am praying that my medical is fine + that the visa processes under the 25days!!!

Please keep me updated on how you get on and what you decide to do! x

Clair_Hanan Jun 6th 2012 5:23 pm

:cry_smile::cry_smile:Eeeek indeed!!

Any word, have they received them? Started processing?

I've worked out the 25s the same as you 5 weeks (which is too long for me also as I'm still waiting for med results which take 8-10days due next week) but I've got everything I can crossed that it wont take that long!

I've got my forms all filled out and I'm just waiting for my medical to come back so I can send it off!!!

Who did you book with? I'm flying Emirates + they're saying that its £400 to change flights :unsure::thumbdown:

concretepump Jun 6th 2012 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by ellenl (Post 10096806)
Hi,
I got a work visa through my partner the other week & it took 5 days but they had spelt my middle name wrong so my passport has gone back again, should get it back by end of next week hopefully!
Ellen

lucky you , i have been waiting for siw weeks now and thats with a job offer, think i will send them an e-mail, as they took my money in the first week

Clair_Hanan Jun 6th 2012 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by concretepump (Post 10104050)
lucky you , i have been waiting for siw weeks now and thats with a job offer, think i will send them an e-mail, as they took my money in the first week

Is this for a temp work visa??? Not good chat!!!! Let us know how you get on!

jjsebba Jun 6th 2012 6:54 pm

Concrete pump - were yours straightforward? How many visas?
I will be in a pickle if mine take that long. Oh well. We can only hope hey? I hope there was a simple reason for yours taking so long although 5 weeks is their target time frame, so 6 weeks isn't way off, it just doesn't suit all of us that have booked flights!!!!
Eeek. Not good.

jjsebba Jun 6th 2012 6:57 pm

Clair, I don't think air new Zealand charge to change flights, but I will get shafted with a flight that costs £1800 instead of £1000. Well, that's what the agent told me last week although I did see something that said service charges apply... Oh well. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't!

concretepump Jun 6th 2012 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by jjsebba (Post 10104258)
Concrete pump - were yours straightforward? How many visas?
I will be in a pickle if mine take that long. Oh well. We can only hope hey? I hope there was a simple reason for yours taking so long although 5 weeks is their target time frame, so 6 weeks isn't way off, it just doesn't suit all of us that have booked flights!!!!
Eeek. Not good.

this is the third, time we have applyed for tempory visas, in 2007 only took about four weeks, that was for two year, second time in 2010 we were only given a one year, took about three weeks, maybe its because i dident want them to start untill aug 2012, but it would be nice to know so we can sort things out