British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   first post, skilled worker (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/first-post-skilled-worker-585295/)

leejude Jan 18th 2009 10:49 pm

first post, skilled worker

Hi All,

First time poster... so thanks in advance for talking the time to read and hopefully give some advice.

Me, my partner and our baby son (1 year old) and in the process of gathering information together to fill in our forms.

Me and my partner are both 29 (turn 30 in Oct and Sept). I work as a Sales and Applications Engineer (field based) for a Global Instrumentation manufacturer. I have been working there for approx 20 months. Previous roles are similar with different titles (Area Sales Engineer, Area Sales Manager etc) all in all I have 6 years external Sales Engineering experience. I have an indentured Mechanical Engineering Apprenticeship, along with College / University courses of BTEC ONC Mechanical Engineering, BTEC HNC Computer Aided Design, NVQ Level 2 (Engineering Manufacture) & 3 (Engineering Production. NVQ Key Skills Level 2 (Engineering Manufacture) and 3 (Technical Leadership). I am also an IQA Qualified Internal Auditor. I have numerous Sales Training Courses that companies have sent me on also. I dont have a degree!!

Is this sufficient to go for the Skilled Worker?

My Partner works part time as a Dental Nurse and Receptionist.

My Brother is a resident of Perth, if this helps.

Thanks again for taking the time to read, i know its a lot.

Many thanks,

Leejude

teebrown Jan 19th 2009 6:55 am

Re: first post, skilled worker

Hi and welcome,

I think the first step for you would be to get your qualifications assessed with the NZQA, it will cost you a little bit of money, but you never know what level they will asses your quals at, my brother got his C & G level 3 assesed and it came back level 5.

Have you looked on the NZIS to see how many points you would get?

As for your brother living in perth, unfortunately this won't help you get in to NZ.

Keep asking questions on here, people will help if they can.

6Nics Jan 20th 2009 8:08 pm

Re: first post, skilled worker

Hi
I am new to this too but probably like yourself don't know where to start!!
My hubby is also a skilled mechanical engineer after serving a 5 year apprenticeship with Renold Engineering along side an ONC college course has many years experience. We submitted and EOI in August 2007 and weren't selected from the pool I think because of not firstly having his skills assessed and they don't recognise his qualifaction. We have also been told that maybe (because of him not having the degree) we should apply on a work to residence visa, by first securing a job offer and then starting the application process. I am confused about what order to do things in are you? I have been looking on the NewLife New Zealand website for some assistance but like eveything else comes at a price although not as expensive as the agents!
I think skills assessment through the NZQA is the place to start
Good Luck