British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   First obstacle maneuvered! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/first-obstacle-maneuvered-906903/)

EcosseHomme Dec 16th 2017 8:29 am

First obstacle maneuvered!

I've been offered full time permanent employment as a design engineer, which is on the LTSS. The company is not an accredited employer, so I'm wondering what my visa options are? My wife and two children will be coming with me, which visa should they apply for?
The proposed start date is in February, so I'm full steam ahead preparing. What elements of the visa application should I look to get in place first (medical, police check etc) ?
thanks for any advice you can offer.

simonsi Jan 10th 2018 12:34 am

Re: First obstacle maneuvered!

Originally Posted by EcosseHomme (Post 12400617)
I've been offered full time permanent employment as a design engineer, which is on the LTSS. The company is not an accredited employer, so I'm wondering what my visa options are? My wife and two children will be coming with me, which visa should they apply for?
The proposed start date is in February, so I'm full steam ahead preparing. What elements of the visa application should I look to get in place first (medical, police check etc) ?
thanks for any advice you can offer.

You should go through the points calculator for the Skilled Migrant Category if you want to move out here as a family and settle. You'll need 160 with the job offer points.

With a Feb start date you may have complications as the employer is not accredited so may have to demonstrate they can't find a NZ resident or citizen to do the work. Feb timescale doesn't allow you to apply for the Skilled Migrant Category so you would need a temp work visa, that will be complicated with a non-accredited employer, not guaranteed and may not support your family coming out at the same time...

BEVS Jan 10th 2018 4:02 am

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 12415125)
You should go through the points calculator for the Skilled Migrant Category if you want to move out here as a family and settle. You'll need 160 with the job offer points.

With a Feb start date you may have complications as the employer is not accredited so may have to demonstrate they can't find a NZ resident or citizen to do the work. Feb timescale doesn't allow you to apply for the Skilled Migrant Category so you would need a temp work visa, that will be complicated with a non-accredited employer, not guaranteed and may not support your family coming out at the same time...

Tiz on the on the NIZ and Dept of Labour long term shortage list so the employer is good to go for offering the position.

I'm with the point made that a temp work visa will need to be uplifted to fulfill that start date.

Following that provided the OP has enough points apply for NZ residency via the skilled migrant category.

Uplift a "long term skill shortage list work visa" but make sure you go straight for residency once here and started.

Ensure the employer hands over a contract that is full time, permanent/long term.
Wife will uplift a visa under family category. Kids a student visa. Babies a visitor visa.

Your employer will need to complete the supplementary form which details the employment.

EcosseHomme Jan 10th 2018 8:55 am

Hi Bevs,

I've sent my visa application away for the LTSSL work visa. I think I will apply for the Skilled Migrant Category as soon as I arrive. With this in mind I'm thinking my wife can apply for a Partner of a Worker Visitor Visa with the children as additional dependents?

The children won't be at school for another year and my wife won't be working until then, so all going well we would have resident visas for when that time arrives.