British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   finishing visa process from within NZ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/finishing-visa-process-within-nz-619224/)

viv jones Jul 9th 2009 8:54 pm

finishing visa process from within NZ?

Hi
I am trying to get out to NZ by early Jan 2010 so the kids can start the new NZ school year...if the process means my visa has not come through by then does anyone know if I could go out with the kids on the visa free 3 mths "holiday" and complete the process from out there?
Thanks
Viv

BEVS Jul 9th 2009 10:05 pm

Re: finishing visa process from within NZ?

From the UK, the visitors visa is for 6 months and under some circumstances, this can be extended.

As you would have a PR application on the go, you may well be able to start the kids into school without having to fork out international student fees. A chat with the school would be needed.

It would be best to delay sending for your worldly goods ( container) until the PR visa is approved otherwise you could incur gst charges , bond charge etc. this end.

Your air tickets would need to be either return tickets or have onward passage.

Yes, you can complete your PR process from the NZ end, although it may be that your case would have to remain at the London office . You would have to ask if it was possible to change offices to an NZ based one.

Hope this helps.

viv jones Jul 10th 2009 4:20 pm

Thank you Bev for your helpful comments.
The comment about the container........do I understand correctly.... that I will incur costs if the containner arrives and I do not have a completed visa?
Thanks
Viv

BEVS Jul 11th 2009 5:33 am

Please have a read of what NZ customs say about this HERE.

You can contact them direct. Both customs and MAF are very helpful.

Let us know if Customs are willing to allow the concessionary entry of a container prior to the issue of a work permit or PR.
By that I mean on the strength of an ongoing but incomplete application .

viv jones Jul 14th 2009 6:02 pm

Bev
You were right Customs were prompt in their reply but very clear that there is no leeway if you do not have a completed visa you will be charged.
This is their reply to me..

....All cargo into NZ must be cleared through Customs within 20days of arrival,

Under normal process the Port will not store containers.

The policy rules will be applied at the time of their arrival in NZ.( Depending on your applicable visa/*permit) and therefore Customs Charges would apply if Permanent Residency has not been granted....

Least I now know!
Viv