Finding work ....

Old Feb 24th 2010, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

xxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nice
Default Finding work ....

Hi to you lovely people......

Upon reading the posts on this forum, my OH asked "would any of these very informative people have any advice on how to go about finding work if we did a reccie." As some of you know neither of us have the certificates only the work experience and thats not enough to enable us to fill in an EOI. It would also be OH that would be the applicant as l am now out of the age bracket to make any difference with the points system. He's been in the property business for over 25 years but no certificates to enhance his experience. It's a bit of a nightmare really as we would both so like to live in NZ.
Thank you in advance for any help offered ......

xElainex
Old Feb 25th 2010, 4:36 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding work ....

All I can say if what I did when I came over for a recce/visit prior to the big move. I work in quite a close knit occupation so it was easy for me [and successful!] It all depends on what your husband does, when you say property business do you mean an estate agent or something else?

Once here I sent out my CV to all the prospective employers in the area and gained interviews or informal 'chats' depending on whether they had a job going or not. You could send them prior to arriving here, give the dates when you will arrive and see what sort of response you get. I also informed them that I would only be able to start work in 4months time. Helped that I had gained PR by that point though so the visa was in place.
My job is on the LTSSL which did help as there were no barriers to offering me employment and businesses wanted to see me just in case a job came up...
Hope this helps, lots of luck
Sue
Old Feb 25th 2010, 7:23 am
Lord of The Pies

teeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to behold

Elaine - the internet is your friend! Without knowing exactly what it is your husband does, have a trawl around for people in his area of work (I know there were oodles of ads for property management people - almost certainly commission based mind - whilst I was out there last year) and start sending out the "Dear Friendly Kiwi Employer - I will be in the land of the long white cloud from XX to YY for a research trip with a view to moving.........." e-mails.

New Zealanders, despite what some Australians say, are normal folk and whilst Immigration smiles on certificates because it gives them something tangible to score people against, employers are just like everywhere else and value experience. It's just a case of finding the one or two who will value the experience you have to offer at a time that is mutually convenient. I'll admit that this is likely to involve a lot of time and frustration, but if you do manage to land a job, then your points worries should pretty much evaporate.

We're *hopefully* nearing the end of the ITA process and as such have a network of tame recruitment agencies waiting for SWMBO to get her visa. As for me, I'm hoping that psychopandy still needs her lawn mowing.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

xxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nice

Originally Posted by Persephone
All I can say if what I did when I came over for a recce/visit prior to the big move. I work in quite a close knit occupation so it was easy for me [and successful!] It all depends on what your husband does, when you say property business do you mean an estate agent or something else?

Once here I sent out my CV to all the prospective employers in the area and gained interviews or informal 'chats' depending on whether they had a job going or not. You could send them prior to arriving here, give the dates when you will arrive and see what sort of response you get. I also informed them that I would only be able to start work in 4months time. Helped that I had gained PR by that point though so the visa was in place.
My job is on the LTSSL which did help as there were no barriers to offering me employment and businesses wanted to see me just in case a job came up...
Hope this helps, lots of luck
Sue
Hi Sue,

Thank you so very much for your help.....and your good luck wishes...
Will keep you up to speed with our outcome.

Again thank you from us both..
xElainex
Old Feb 25th 2010, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by teeym
Elaine - the internet is your friend! Without knowing exactly what it is your husband does, have a trawl around for people in his area of work (I know there were oodles of ads for property management people - almost certainly commission based mind - whilst I was out there last year) and start sending out the "Dear Friendly Kiwi Employer - I will be in the land of the long white cloud from XX to YY for a research trip with a view to moving.........." e-mails.

New Zealanders, despite what some Australians say, are normal folk and whilst Immigration smiles on certificates because it gives them something tangible to score people against, employers are just like everywhere else and value experience. It's just a case of finding the one or two who will value the experience you have to offer at a time that is mutually convenient. I'll admit that this is likely to involve a lot of time and frustration, but if you do manage to land a job, then your points worries should pretty much evaporate.

We're *hopefully* nearing the end of the ITA process and as such have a network of tame recruitment agencies waiting for SWMBO to get her visa. As for me, I'm hoping that psychopandy still needs her lawn mowing.

Hi there,

Thank you for your help it's good to have input from you lovely people on this forum. Especially given that so many are giving of their own experiences.

We both wish you luck with your ITA....

Again thank you
xElainex