British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Few more EOI questions... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/few-more-eoi-questions-702014/)

rick78 Jan 23rd 2011 9:11 pm

Few more EOI questions...

Yep... me again :rofl:

I have a few more (possibly silly?) questions I hope you guys won't mind answering. I just don't want to make a stupid mistake on EOI and it not be get accepted :unsure:

There are a few questions under the identity section than include taxation, social security and national ID numbers. Do I need to include any of this? Of course we don't have ID numbers, and I'm assuming social security is my NI number? Haven't got a clue what my taxation number is... assuming thats tied into my NI number.

Also, under the same section (or maybe a bit later) it asks for information on citizenship you may hold. Now, I thought I'd just leave this blank because I don't hold any citizenship of any country other than the UK, but when I turned on the error checking function it stated I needed to enter a start date and country. Should I just put my DOB and Great Britain for this?

One final thing is for my qualifications they request start and end dates (for degrees etc.). Are approxaimte dates ok, or should I ensure I get exactly the right dates?

So much info...

Thanks.

theRices Jan 23rd 2011 9:43 pm

Re: Few more EOI questions...

Originally Posted by rick78 (Post 9123424)

I have a few more (possibly silly?) questions I hope you guys won't mind answering. I just don't want to make a stupid mistake on EOI and it not be get accepted :unsure:

There are a few questions under the identity section than include taxation, social security and national ID numbers. Do I need to include any of this? Of course we don't have ID numbers, and I'm assuming social security is my NI number? Haven't got a clue what my taxation number is... assuming thats tied into my NI number.

Also, under the same section (or maybe a bit later) it asks for information on citizenship you may hold. Now, I thought I'd just leave this blank because I don't hold any citizenship of any country other than the UK, but when I turned on the error checking function it stated I needed to enter a start date and country. Should I just put my DOB and Great Britain for this?

One final thing is for my qualifications they request start and end dates (for degrees etc.). Are approxaimte dates ok, or should I ensure I get exactly the right dates?

So much info...

Thanks.

I think its is a general form for worldwide, I did enter an ID number but that is only because I have one, being Swedish, this ID number is also on my Swedish birth certificate (which I just had to request a copy of, as in Sweden they issue you a new one every time you need one and it usually specifies what is to be used for...) and it is also in my passport. We both entered passport numbers, NI numbers, husband his birth certificate no.

For the degree you have to put an exact date, not just month and year as it doesn't like it. I had a panic as I couldn't remember when I started, luckily it was on my student homepage with the OU. Not sure how petty they are with exact dates.

It took us a few weeks from starting filling in our EOI before submitting, but that was because my husband was abroad... he said for me to do it and send it off but I didn't want too until we had sat down and checked it together :)

We are just waiting for our medical reports and UK police checks and then we can submit our ITA :) my Swedish police check was £12 cheaper than the UK one and only took a week :)

Persephone Jan 23rd 2011 10:03 pm

Hi
I put my NI number down under social security no. and my tax reference no. from my yearly coding notice down as tax number. From what I can remember it wasn't compulsory for these to be answered.
I contacted my university to get the exact dates I started and finished and they had no problem supplying me with the info [including my student number which I didn't even know I had;)]. It was over 10 years since I left uni at the time.
As for citizenship, I just put my date of birth as a start date since I reasoned that was the start date:p
Hope this helps
P:D

rick78 Jan 23rd 2011 10:15 pm

Thats great guys thanks for your help. We've managed to find out student numbers from the certificates (handily printed in the corners) and have approx dates for terms but will contact them to confirm.

I've used NI number for SS and may dig out tax number but may leave this since its not mandatory. I'll also use my birth date as citizenship start date :eek:

One more question before I collapse (absolutely shattered :o)... regarding English competency... clearly we're British but what option did you pick? I've automatically picked "None of the above" and entered some text on the next screen to the effect of born/lived/studied in UK since birth. I could also select that I've studied for a qualification performed entirely in English...

...what do u suggest?

Thanks again :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

theRices Jan 23rd 2011 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by rick78 (Post 9123562)
Thats great guys thanks for your help. We've managed to find out student numbers from the certificates (handily printed in the corners) and have approx dates for terms but will contact them to confirm.

I've used NI number for SS and may dig out tax number but may leave this since its not mandatory. I'll also use my birth date as citizenship start date :eek:

One more question before I collapse (absolutely shattered :o)... regarding English competency... clearly we're British but what option did you pick? I've automatically picked "None of the above" and entered some text on the next screen to the effect of born/lived/studied in UK since birth. I could also select that I've studied for a qualification performed entirely in English...

...what do u suggest?

Thanks again :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I am pretty sure that you don't need to provide evidence of English competency, if you do it will state that on the ITA. I have to provide evidence as I am not British, I am using my degree certificate as proof of English competency (I will double check with our immigration officer next week though).

Good Luck :)

Persephone Jan 23rd 2011 10:44 pm

I didn't have to provide evidence of competency in English [despite coming from the North East:rofl:]
If you were born and educated in Britain then you don't need to for the ITA/EOI. I ticked 'meet minimum standards as defined by the guide' and a box will pop up. I wrote similar to you in that I was born and brought up in Britain to English speaking parents and all my education up to degree level was in English. I went for more waffle in an effort to indicate my prowess and competency:rolleyes:

Notwithstanding (b) above, an immigration officer may, on a case by case basis, consider the following as evidence of the principal applicant meeting the minimum standard of English if:
i :they provide evidence that their recognised qualification(s):
was gained as a result of a course or courses of study in which English was the only medium of instruction; and

(if that qualification was gained in New Zealand) the qualification had a minimum completion time of at least two years or it is a post-graduate qualification and the applicant has an undergraduate qualification that qualifies for points; or

ii :they have current skilled employment in New Zealand for a period of at least 12 months that qualifies for points (see SM7); or

iii :they provide other evidence which satisfies an immigration officer that, taking account of that evidence and all the circumstances of the application, they are a competent user of English. These circumstances may include but are not limited to:

the country in which the applicant currently resides;
the country(ies) in which the applicant has previously resided;
the duration of residence in each country;
whether the applicant speaks any language other than English;
whether members of the applicant's family speak English;
whether members of the applicant's family speak any language other than English;
the nature of the applicant's current or previous employment (if any) and whether that is or was likely to require skill in English language;
the nature of the applicant's qualifications (if any) and whether the obtaining of those qualifications was likely to require skill in the English language.
d.
In any case, an immigration officer may require an applicant to provide an IELTS

robbyarg Jan 28th 2011 7:52 pm

Mate when you fill the EOI, do the online version. Firstly, because it is more affordable and less headaches with sending documents manually.

Only need to fill the MANDATORY questions, no more. If its NOT mandatory, don't worry about it. That's just the questions with the marked red asterisk. I know someone who filled it exactly like that and has applied for migration with the ITA granted.

Originally Posted by rick78 (Post 9123424)

So much info...

Thanks.

rick78 Jan 28th 2011 10:19 pm

Yup I am filling an online application in.

Pretty much done now... had formal job offer from employer and have now booked Xrays for next week and Medicals for week after that (four days after next EOI selection).

Hopefully medicals will go ok - daughter has a little hernia and has had sleep apnoea in past but tonsils out and she's all good now... can't see why that would be an issue.

Cheer.