To fat for NZ????

Old Mar 5th 2009, 5:50 pm
NZbound

yorkshire_sparkie is just really niceyorkshire_sparkie is just really niceyorkshire_sparkie is just really niceyorkshire_sparkie is just really niceyorkshire_sparkie is just really niceyorkshire_sparkie is just really niceyorkshire_sparkie is just really niceyorkshire_sparkie is just really nice
Default To fat for NZ????

On a serious note - we are hoping to put in an EOI soon and the medical side is worrying me. I know it's a long way off that stage yet BUT..... me and the old man aren't exactly svelte like... My BMI is 32 and his is 31.....my waist measurement is 105 and his is the same!!!!! ( I am a size 16 and he's a waist 38).......... So we are starting to try and diet now in preparations... Do you think we'd have trouble with BMI / waist measurements like this???

Was thinking of going to my GP for a "health check" to see what out cholestrol levels are like and stuff???

Any tips???????? Are we too fat for NZ
Old Mar 5th 2009, 8:31 pm
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To fat for NZ????

My BMI is 30 and the doctor still graded me A...
Mind u I run a lot, do 10K runs and gym few times a week...

Good luck, am waiting for my medicals results n it's stressing!!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

jo_hedge will become famous soon enoughjo_hedge will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: To fat for NZ????

Hi Sparkie

It seems you only have a real problem if your BMI is over 35, although it seems completely arbitrary who's high BMI is OK & who's isn't. The presumption is that if you've got a high BMI you must be unfit & ill & so if you're likely to cost them over NZ$25000 in the first 4 years, they don't want you. The list of illnesses they link with high BMI (you can find it on the INZ website as Appendix 10) includes HIV, Hep B/C, organ transplants, cancer, genetic disorders. It would be amusing if it wasn't so insulting really.

I think it would be a great idea to have some initial blood tests, so that if you have raised cholesterol you can address it before your full meds (they cost a bloody lot of money, especially if you have to have the bloods done again). The one to watch out for at the moment seems to be the liver function test. Dieting from now would be good too, & if you can show that you've lost weight then they seem to like you more. The phrase they use is that you are 'acceptable'!

If you do go to your doctor for the blood tests, some seem to charge if they know you might be emigrating, others will do it for free. I hope yours is the free type!

Good luck with everything. I'm still doing battle with mine. As the saying goes "It's not over till the fat lady sings", & this one aint singing yet!!!

Jo
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:38 pm
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all

Your BMI is not a good calculator for how unhealthy, unfit or even how fat you are.

BMI is basically a calculation of your body mass and this does not take into account the amount of muscle or fat your body has.

I have had 2 separate clients, both with a BMI of 30... one of them was a superfit bodybuilder with 4% body fat and the other, an overfat person with 45% body fat.

it is the % of fat that you carry that can cause you health problems.

The reason they use BMI is that it is generally a good way to calculate how overweight the "average joe" is. But it really isnt an exact science.

If you want to lose body fat reduce your mass and your BMI, take long walks and lift weights. The more muscle your body has the more calories you will require, hence your body will turn to your fat stores for energy!

I have turned many "fatties" into "fitties" in 3 months... so it is possible.

Good luck
Old Mar 6th 2009, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Paula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud of
Red face Re: To fat for NZ????

Hi Sparkie

I have just had my medical and so has my husband. My waist measurement was 1 cm too big!! and that was with the tape measure slack!! We were both in the doctors consulting room at the same time and my husband said to the doc "can you not pull the tape measure a bit tighter" but no - he didn't.

As a result of my waist measurement I had to have an extra blood test which checks your cholesterol levels as a lot of research has recently been published relating the size of your waist to health problems and not your BMI.

I lost 3 stone and my husband lost 2 stone before we had our medicals but we did have a year to prepare for this as we were applying for a parent visa and not going in on a job offer which obviously gives you a shorter timescale to get healthy.

Regarding the Liver Function Test - I found out quite by chance with a routine LFT at my own GP that I had abnormal readings and I was referred to a Liver Consultant - after an Ultrasound Scan of my liver and a whole raft of further blood tests I was diagnosed with probable "fatty liver" not related to alcohol. (cut down on your alcohol consumption too and we didn't drink any alcohol at all for the final month before our medicals). I then asked the Consultant for a letter addressed to the Immigration Dept in London "To Whom it may concern" - giving my liver diagnosis and my prognosis. I took this letter with me and gave it to the doctor that did my medical as I thought that probably my Liver Function Test would still be abnormal.

I had to have an eGFR blood test repeated (this shows how well your kidneys are functioning and a further urine test). I have now got my and my husband's medical reports back from the doctor and we are taking them down to London in a few weeks to hand in personally (don't trust the post). Lots of irreplaceable documents such as birth/marriage/passports in the envelope - including full birth certificates of my two children who live in New Zealand.

So what I would say is start getting healthy - I joined Weight Watchers and we both went swimming in the evening once a week (adults only class where we lived - and lane swimming - which I know helped to drop our weight). If you really want to go - you will do it. If you go to any hospital appointments or have an operations - get a copy of the diagnosis and prognosis and procedure you had from your GP. I also got my GP to write a letter stating the reason I was on certain medication and the doctor's prognosis. I have hypertension and hypothyroidism both under control with medication.

Good luck.

Paula
Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:27 pm
DGH
Danni

DGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really nice

Hi,
I think your waist measurement has to be 88cm or less for ladies, not sure about mens but think it's 100cm ish or less.
Good luck - now's the time to start the detox and diets!
Old Mar 9th 2009, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Size 16 should be ok unless you are on the short side...I dieted to get my waist measurement down but my BMI was always within - BMI 35 being quite generous to start with.