FAO whoever

Old Nov 19th 2007, 2:10 pm
Bouncer For Mothercare

wimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of light
Default FAO whoever

I previously posted here a couple of months ago with some questions and the response was fantastic and much appreciated, the problem is we really need some advise from someone in exactly the same boat as us that has been there and done that. I will remind you of our situation so that hopefully that person is you

I am 42, my wife is 41 and we have 2 children aged 13 and 10. Apart from having 10 years experience in the bus and coach industry neither me nor my wife have any skills which are desperately needed in NZ. However we are so determined to make the move that we are selling our house and all our furniture to take the gamble that although on a 6 month visitor visa that one or both of us will find work with an accredited employer. I know that I wont be able to work on a visitor visa but that wont stop me looking.

I have so many questions which I am struggling to find answers too. Anyone out there who can spare me some time
Old Nov 19th 2007, 6:08 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: FAO whoever

Originally Posted by wimpy
I previously posted here a couple of months ago with some questions and the response was fantastic and much appreciated, the problem is we really need some advise from someone in exactly the same boat as us that has been there and done that. I will remind you of our situation so that hopefully that person is you.
Yes, you can come here and, assuming you are British, you will get a six month visitor permit on arrival. You are free to look for work and to interview. However, you cannot take up employment without a work permit or if you have permanent residency. Working whilst you are a student is allowed in certain circumstances (for example a tertiary student may be allowed to take up 20 hours per week of paid labour and the partner of the student may work full-time).

I am 42, my wife is 41 and we have 2 children aged 13 and 10. Apart from having 10 years experience in the bus and coach industry neither me nor my wife have any skills which are desperately needed in NZ.
Are you a bus/coach driver or do you build the coaches?

However we are so determined to make the move that we are selling our house and all our furniture to take the gamble that although on a 6 month visitor visa that one or both of us will find work with an accredited employer.
What you need to secure a work permit is an employer to sponsor you. The employer can do this by demonstrating that you have special skills or that no local Kiwis could be found for the job and you can do the work. You'd take the offer in along with evidence that is supplied by your prospective employer and a work permit could be yours. If you or your partner is issued a work permit you or your partner will be tied to the sponsoring employer and you or your partner will get an open work permit allowing you or her to work at whatever for whoever. Your two children will be given student permits allowing them to study at any school and basically be treated the same as any other Kiwi student (i.e. no extraordinary fees beyond the normal donations and odds and sods that everyone else forks out for).

I know that I wont be able to work on a visitor visa but that wont stop me looking.
True, nothing to stop you from looking for work, but as stated above you cannot work until you have those blue work permits or residency stickers in your passport.

I have so many questions which I am struggling to find answers too. Anyone out there who can spare me some time
At any rate, here is a cut and paste of a reply I made to a poster yesterday.

How bad do you want to immigrate here to New Zealand? Are you willing to have a go at something completely different to retail management? Are you and your partner willing to work odd hours? Can you cope outside the urban milieu?

I had a squiz at the NZIS site and I put together a couple of random thoughts.

First random thought -- New Zealand is going through a dairy products boom. Thar's white gold in dem thar farms, matey. The farmers are always on the lookout for helpers and apparently are willing to take on inexperienced staff as long as they are keen and trustworthy. As farmers struggle to find staff for the milking shed I believe that it wouldn't be too difficult to prove that no suitable Kiwis could be found and you could be issued with a temporary work permit.

Second random thought -- in the South Island town of Balclutha there is a rural polytechnic (Telford Rural Polytechnic) that has very low international fees where you could get a Dairy Certificate level 4 which would qualify you for immigration. It can be done there in Balclutha or as a distance course. If you really apply yourself you could probably finish all the study modules in a few months. Et voila, you have an acceptable trade qualification.

The following are 'Acceptable trades' for the purpose of awarding points on the Register
Trades requiring a level 3 (or above) qualification:

* Agricultural work (including Arable Farming; Cattle farming; Dairy Farming: Sheep Farming; Deer Farming)

Basically, what I am saying is that a couple of years down on the farm may be your way in. I know of a nice couple who came to New Zealand from Argentina and without any farm skills the husband got work as a milker, worked hard and has worked his way up to herd manager. They have permanent residency as a result of employment in the dairy industry and have settled in well to Kiwi life.

Of course, gumboots and early mornings may not be an option for you.

At any rate, good luck and I hope you can find a way out here.
I wish all the best of luck.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 6:33 pm
Bouncer For Mothercare

wimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of light

Fantastic advice my friend and a great relief too, we know that the odds are very much against us but we are both determined to see this through. I wish I was a coach builder but sadly just a driver. Many thanks
Old Nov 19th 2007, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Kerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to all

Good Luck to you and your family Wimpey. We're in a slightly better position to you but are going out anyway. We are lucky that my Husband has necessary skills, but we've not got quite enough points for PR. We're going to find employment once we there.

We can't wait to become Kiwis.