British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   family stream... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/family-stream-623651/)

kjames Aug 3rd 2009 5:45 pm

family stream...

A quick question on the family stream visa.

I've applied for a temp work visa as i'm on the LTSS list and have an offer of employment.

Once i've got the visa, the plan is then to apply for a visa for my wife and son under the family stream visa route.

We are UK citizens.

Can we move to NZ (me on my work visa and my family on a visitors visa) and start the family stream application once we are in NZ.

My wife doesnt intent to work.

Just trying to cover all the bases and check I'm not missing anything.

thanks

Karl

still waiting for news on the temp work visa application.

BEVS Aug 4th 2009 2:00 am

Re: family stream...

Not sure I understand but then it's easy to confuse me some days.:lol:

When you sent in your temp work visa application , the application for the temp. open work visa, under family stream, for your wife and the student visas for your kids normally would have been sent in at the same time. You would all gain your visas at the same time , all on the back of your application as you are the one with the NZ job offer.

When my husband applied for his temp. work visa , my application went with it and both were approved together.

When you are ready to apply for PR and so submit your EOI you will do so as a family. I am assuming you intend to apply under the Skilled Migrant Category and with an NZ job that matches the skilled occupation for which you are qualified.

newkiwi Aug 4th 2009 2:06 am

Originally Posted by kjames (Post 7809151)
A quick question on the family stream visa.

I've applied for a temp work visa as i'm on the LTSS list and have an offer of employment.

Once i've got the visa, the plan is then to apply for a visa for my wife and son under the family stream visa route.

We are UK citizens.

Can we move to NZ (me on my work visa and my family on a visitors visa) and start the family stream application once we are in NZ.

My wife doesnt intent to work.

Just trying to cover all the bases and check I'm not missing anything.

thanks

Karl

still waiting for news on the temp work visa application.

You should all apply at the same time, each filling in their own forms but send the application in together.
your wife can apply for a work permit as the spouse of a NZ work permit holder. Whether she chooses to work or not doesnt matter, she still gets to have a work permit.
your kids get student visas.

you can move to nz on your work permit and then apply for residency once you get here, as long as you have enough points you can apply any time. i would recommend applying for perm residency as soon as you have enough points

kjames Aug 4th 2009 4:20 am

balls..... i've ar$ed this up..

Thanks for the info guys...

To tell you the full story

We are not intending to apply for PR as we are only planning on staying in NZ for 2-3 years, hence the temp work visa.

So i've applied for a temp work visa on the back of a job offer on the LTSSL. When I was filling the form (1015) in I saw all the family work policy bit, but (from memory)it asked for the main applicants visa number. I think i've partially assumed and a bit of dodgy advice from my new company, assumed I couldn’t apply until after I'd got my visa. Also this is how it worked in Dubai when we moved here....

So I've submitted my temp work visa application, but not included my family on it. We've been concentrating so much on gathering all of the info for my application we've only just started gathering it for my wifes (police certs, medicals etc).

So, how can we put this right?

My thoughts are that once my visa has come through. We make sure we have everything for a temp visa family work application. (police certs, medicals, proof of relationship etc) and that it is all clear (i.e no medical / police problems). We then head to NZ. My wife and son get a 9 month visit visa (I believe they get this due to their uk passports). Once we are in NZ we make the application for the temp visa for the family, which I am hoping should take considerably less than the 9 months we have on the visit visa(??).
If we don’t get the family visa we head home.

Does this sound feasible?? Or are we going to get turned away at the airport?

Can’t believe I’ve got this so wrong….

Karl

Jan n Neil Aug 4th 2009 5:45 am

I have only been through NZ airports once but we had trouble simply because our flights were booked 2 weeks prior to departure and the immigration officer thought it was suspicious, leading some considerable questioning of both of us... They do have your immigration application records availabe to view on their computers too, when they scan your passport, and they will know about your different visas.

Could you get in touch with your CO, withdraw and start again? How old are your kids? do they need to be in school and could they attend on a visitors visa? (I'm guessing not).

BEVS Aug 4th 2009 6:13 am

It's not a family visa. It would be a temp work visa application for your wife and then 2 student visas.

Your wife needs to fill in her own Form 1015 but she will tick for family as she is not the one with the NZ job offer. It will be 'linked' to your application in that it will run the exact same dates as yours.

I think you need Forms 1012 for your kids depending on their ages. This is for them to go to school here whilst you are on your temp work visas.

Phone up your NZIS case officer, or if you don't have one yet, then the NZIS office where you submitted the application and tell them what has happened and that you didn't send all the forms with your temp work visa application and that your wife and kids will be going with you to NZ.

Hopefully they will be helpful and wait for the three other forms before completing your group of applications. They will log this on their records.

Keep it straight and keep it simple is my motto really. How would it look to an NZIS immigration officer at the NZ end if you turned up together with one work visa and your family on visitors visas? I'd surmise they would want to check this out before allowing you in as a family.

If it were me, I'd get all the correct visas in place before entering NZ.

Jan n Neil Aug 4th 2009 6:15 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 7810606)

How would it look to an NZIS immigration officer at the NZ end if you turned up together with one work visa and your family on visitors visas? I'd surmise they would want to check this out before allowing you in as a family.

That was what i thought too, perhaps the stress of wondering whether you would get in is not worth it.

kjames Aug 4th 2009 8:42 am

agghhhh double ar$e....

Bevs thanks for the detailed answer...and the other advice guys.

i still haven’t been given a CO, so will just pop down to NZ immigration dubai.

I've just been checking through my emails, defo some dodgy advice from my employer who advised me on this route and have apparently ok'd it with NZIS christchurch. So i'll print the email and take that along (just to show i'm not being deliberately dodgy)

We only posted off for my wifes police certs a couple of days ago, so thats going to be the biggest delay and push the move back a month..

karl :(

Matewx Aug 4th 2009 9:11 am

Can I add??

What you have done so far is GOOD. Maybe not the most straight forward option but GOOD.

I would not withdraw anything, as you'd end up at bottom of the pile.

I applied for a work visa (2.5yrs) & did a work visa application for OH on back of mine. Now when I submitted mine we were not ready to submit his as waiting on his home country police certificate, SO we only did mine.

Once ready, we lodged his application with all documents needed (we had to prove we are in a relationship!!) and the day mine was approved his was too. If mine had been approved earlier, his would have been done in a few days (providing NZIS is happy with the application of course!).

In your case, it's just easier to get a work visa (on back of yours) for your wife (even if she won't work) rather than a visitors, plus she'll qualify for reduce GP too. As BEVS said, your kids need a student visa (I believe if they are old enough to go to kindergarden they'll qualify for student visa).

In all case, remember NZIS is run by human beings who understand you wont go on your own and leave your loved ones in Dubai. Get all the paperwork together, get it over to them & explain yourself... And please don't think you're dodgy, coz from what you told us you're not! My employer did tell me the same, it's only when I researched (Thanks BE!) that I knew I could do the above...

All the best & let us know!

BEVS Aug 4th 2009 9:26 am

I agree. What is dodgy ? There is nothing dodgy here. Just take a deep breath and breathe out and in and out and in. :p
. Get the forms filled in and let NZIS know that you are a family intending to go together. NZIS will understand and help, I am sure.

kjames Aug 4th 2009 9:37 am

kind words.... but its too late, i'm moving to thailand instead..

i've had enough.. ;)

BEVS Aug 4th 2009 9:39 am

Why am I not surprised. :rolleyes:

Amazing innit., but thanks to everyone that put their time and help into this. We can't advise another person at all because it is there choice at the end of the day as the above shows, but it's always good to know we can help and exchange info in this way .

Matewx Aug 4th 2009 9:45 am

Ah!
Am on the floor...

kjames Aug 4th 2009 10:44 am

guys.... i'm not really moving to thailand..

it was a joke, a bad one obviously.

I'm sticking with the NZ thing.

K

BEVS Aug 4th 2009 10:01 pm

:lol: OMG. I'm cracked up here laughing at me being dim. :lol:

We get geese leading us on a wild chase sometimes for reasons known only to themselves. So very sorry to have read the post the wrong way. Honest Injuns.

I've bunged you some karma for me being a thicko late last night . My only excuse is that I had a glass ...perhaps two...of wine inside of me. and I didn't bother putting on me glasses.

Still giggling away like a mad woman here. :p