Family Centre of Gravity issue

Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

pacey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family Centre of Gravity issue

hello all! I'm popping my head in from the Australia section of the forum as I have a question about the family centre of gravity rules for NZ. Let me explain.

My parents have just lodged an application for NZ, sponsored by my sis who lives on the Kapiti coast (waikanae). I have another sis who lives in Sydney. She is sponsoring me to go there. I'm about 6 weeks off visa grant, so I'm still in the UK.

So as you can see, there could be a center of gravity issue IF i went to Aus in 6 weeks time.

Does anyone know if I will need to stay in the UK til my parents' visa for NZ is granted? Or will they go by the info provided at time of lodgement, which says I am a UK citizen?

I know it sounds really selfish but I am desperate to get going! Obviously if I have to I will stay.. but i think i might be insane by the time i land in Sydney!

thanks all
Old Apr 16th 2008, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Family Centre of Gravity issue

The ‘centre of gravity’ of your family is in New Zealand if you have:

• no dependent children – all your adult children are living lawfully and permanently outside your home country
or you have an equal or greater number of adult children living lawfully and permanently in New Zealand than in
any other single country, including your home country; or

• dependent children – you have an equal or greater number of adult children living lawfully and permanently
in New Zealand than in any other single country, including your home country. The number of your dependent
children must be the same as, or less than, the number of adult children living lawfully and permanently in
New Zealand.
The first bullet seems to suggest that there wouldn't be a problem, as there are no dependant children in this case?

"all your adult children are living lawfully and permanently outside your home country"

Old Apr 16th 2008, 8:13 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pacey
The first bullet seems to suggest that there wouldn't be a problem, as there are no dependant children in this case?

"all your adult children are living lawfully and permanently outside your home country"

I tend to take these things at face value, so either way you are OK. Your parents just need to fill in the form accurately at the time they do it - whether thats before or after you move.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

yes looks that way - which is a relief, i must say! They've already lodged with evidence that I'm in the UK, so i think i'll be in the clear to go when i want. Thanks for your input, southerner!