British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Expression of interest (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/expression-interest-543095/)

claire.cornell Jun 15th 2008 10:22 am

Expression of interest

Hey all,

we're currently filling in our EOI form and are a bit stuck. My OH is the principal applicant, he has 2 degrees one in anatomy and one in medicine. Here is our problem. He has been working as a junior doctor for year and when we go over to NZ he wants to apply to get on an anaesthetics training post. Anaesthetics is on the skills shortage list but he can't apply for a training post unless he has permanent residency and we don't have enough points for PR unless he is offered a training post in anaesthetics. We're in a bit of a catch 22 and wondered if anyone had any suggestions? at the moment we are stuck on 85 points, even though he has 2 recognized qualifications we still only get 50 points for some reason.

Justcol Jun 15th 2008 4:00 pm

Re: Expression of interest

could he get a job offer for something that he already has experiance in
just to get the points?
if he does he's not tied to that post for ever, only a few months i think unless they give you a relocation package in which case there may be a time clause in his contract.
It might be woth considering if it gets you there.

Beetrooper Jun 15th 2008 4:24 pm

Hi,
are you sure that you are claiming the correct amount of points.

As for my qualifications i got 75 points this was due to my degrees being different ie one being a BA(hons) and the other a MSc, if you have two degrees of the same level you only get the points for one unfortunately.

Surely being a doctor is on the skills shortage list? if so you can claim points for that as well.

good luck I am sure more experienced BE people will give you more detailed answers

claire.cornell Jun 15th 2008 5:31 pm

Cheers for the advice guys. He has a BSc in anatomical sciences and a Degree of Bachelor of medicine and bachelor of surgery. Both are on the same level I think. Would it be worth phoning up NZ immigration to ask?

Want2Move Jun 15th 2008 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Beetrooper (Post 6469340)
Hi,
...As for my qualifications i got 75 points this was due to my degrees being different ie one being a BA(hons) and the other a MSc, if you have two degrees of the same level you only get the points for one unfortunately...

Sorry to hijack the thread. I am just curious how you got 75 points for having BA and MSc. I have a BS (not hons if that makes any difference) and two master's degrees (MS and MPP). I know I get point for only one master's degree. In EOI, I am getting 65 points for my qualifications and in points indicator test, I am getting only 55 points.

I would appreciate it very much if you could tell me how I could get 75 points. Thanks.

Beetrooper Jun 15th 2008 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Want2Move (Post 6469537)
Sorry to hijack the thread. I am just curious how you got 75 points for having BA and MSc. I have a BS (not hons if that makes any difference) and two master's degrees (MS and MPP). I know I get point for only one master's degree. In EOI, I am getting 65 points for my qualifications and in points indicator test, I am getting only 55 points.

I would appreciate it very much if you could tell me how I could get 75 points. Thanks.

Hi want to move,

I got my points by one of my qualifications being in an area of skills shortage (10 points)and also one of them is in a future growth area (10 points) and of course 55 points for my degrees.

Hope this helps

Niki

Want2Move Jun 15th 2008 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Beetrooper (Post 6469627)
Hi want to move,

I got my points by one of my qualifications being in an area of skills shortage (10 points)and also one of them is in a future growth area (10 points) and of course 55 points for my degrees.

Hope this helps

Niki

Thanks Niki. I was hoping to be able to pull 10 more points, but it looks like it is not going to work for me as my BS and MS are in the same field and that could be the reason they are giving me just 10 bonus points (55 + 10 = 65). I logged on to my EOI and tried to change things around, but still 65 points for qualifications. Thanks again.