British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   expiry date of a skilled migrant visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/expiry-date-skilled-migrant-visa-872008/)

andylong677 Feb 7th 2016 4:12 pm

expiry date of a skilled migrant visa

Hi all,

Looking at all of the various Visa options for when I am ready to make my move.

Once my wife and I finish our various qualifications we already hit 105 point without a job offer. Obviously will be looking for a job before we go, but we may apply for a skilled migrant visa in advance. I know the chances of being selected with 105 point and no job offer are extremely low, however want to try.

I am under the impression such a visa is valid for 12 months. Is that correct? If so I may start my application a year before I am ready to go, that way seeing if I can get the visa without the job offer.

Is this correct?

Many thanks

Andy

MrsFychan Feb 7th 2016 6:46 pm

Re: expiry date of a skilled migrant visa

if you go into the EOI pool you are in there for 6mths and have those 6mths to be selected. after that time you will be removed and would have to apply again and of course pay your fee again

BEVS Feb 8th 2016 12:21 am

Originally Posted by andylong677 (Post 11860353)
I know the chances of being selected with 105 point and no job offer are extremely low, however want to try.

I'm going to be a bit blunt here to help you save your money.
There is no chance of such an application being drawn from the EOI pool at all. Nil.

The last time applications with no job offer attached were selected from the EOI pool was 30th April 2014.

Even then the criteria was
"All those claiming 15 bonus points for work experience in an area of absolute skill shortage that had a points total of 135 or more but less than "

I am under the impression such a visa is valid for 12 months. Is that correct? If so I may start my application a year before I am ready to go, that way seeing if I can get the visa without the job offer. Is this correct?
No . This is not correct. I am wondering if you are confusing assorted policies and visas.

An EOI stays in the Skilled Migrant EOI pool for 6 months. If not selected it will be booted out . The EOI is not a visa. It is simply an Expression of Interest .

If an EOI is drawn from the EOI pool , it is then checked over by an immigration officer. If all seems fine then the applicant is invited to apply for a skilled migrant visa. If they gain the visa they have 12 months to activate.

However from what you write, you need a job offer to make a quality application.

Please have a look at the history of EOI draws from the pool to see what I mean.

I hope that helps a bit.

Come back with any further questions as there is the WTR route. The WHV depending on your ages etc.

Venezuelan007 Feb 8th 2016 4:06 am

Yeah... I've lost those 500$ too... Seems like below 140 its all hopes and broken dreams

BEVS Feb 8th 2016 4:10 am

Big shame for you. That is why it is best to check the pool pull history to see what manner of applications are being drawn.

However an application below 140 but with a job offer stands a reasonable chance.

andylong677 Feb 8th 2016 8:55 am

Hi,

Thanks all for the replies.

I did think that the chance of being drawn was extremely low, and can see now that it would be nil. I had a look at the pull history and notice that 140 seemed to be the magic number. With a job offer for either of us we do get about 160 so I am hoping that would work out, but it is a few years down the line yet.

If you do end up over 140 and have a job offer is it an automatic pull? Or do you still sit in the pot with your fingers crossed?

We both have experience and gaining further qualifications for occupations listed on the skills shortage list. But though the work to residence visa would be the best route, but concerned about the $55,000 min salary.

many thanks

Andy

Hazelnut Feb 8th 2016 12:35 pm

If you have over 140 points it's an automatic pull whether you have a job offer or not.

If you have a job offer and over 100 points but under 140 you stand a strong chance of being pulled at the moment but it's not guaranteed.

andylong677 Feb 8th 2016 3:56 pm

Thanks, been very helpful.

All confusing, and not even started filling forms out yet lol

MrsFychan Feb 8th 2016 6:06 pm

don't want to rain on your parade but "a few years down the line" may see the occupation you are looking at gaining a visa from may not be on the list then. The list changes over time with the needs being filled and other occupations being required.
coming off the list in March or May this year:
social worker and Statistician (Fisheries Modeller

on review but staying for the moment: (so may well come off soon)
Telecommunications Engineer
Telecommunications Network Engineer

going on the list:
Glazier (a)
Sheetmetal Trades Worker
Metal Fabricator
Surveying or Spatial Science Technician (Building Information Modelling Professional)

and there are others, please see:
Changes to the list of Essential Skills in Demand - Immigration NZ Knowledgebase

andylong677 Feb 8th 2016 6:28 pm

Thanks MrsFychan,

We are hoping primary school teacher or pre school teacher remains there. That way my wife could get the primary job.
I will coming off the back of 30 years in the police and am gaining qualifications in teaching adults, being a first aid instructor and a few other skills. Currently first aid instructor is on there as well.
We are both studying for degrees and it looks as though I may also get a degree through work, as the college of policing is trying to get the skill recognised on an academic level, aiming for a bachelors in policing (you already get a NVQ in that subject when joining) so I may end up with 2 degrees! Dont suppose they will double the points for that lol

Thanks again

MrsFychan Feb 8th 2016 7:32 pm

both of those are on the list of skills occupations so you would need to find a company that is accredited to offer you a position and go down the work to residency route.
you will be hard pushed to get a teachers role, there is a glut of home grown ones, possible you will get one if you are prepared to go where no one else wants to?
As for pre school same, kiwi breed are finding it difficult to get a placement that is not voluntary. so again going to be hard pushed.

andylong677 Feb 9th 2016 5:36 am

Seems harder and harder.

Friend of mine has just migrated and he seemed to sail through, got a job offer, visa agreed quickly and off he went.

Dont think mine will be that simple!

MrsFychan Feb 9th 2016 6:00 am

depends what visa he is applied for. work to residency visa's are shorter to process as there is less for the Immigration to check up on. after the 2years on that visa you then apply for the PR and thats when it takes time to process.

andylong677 Feb 9th 2016 6:09 am

Thanks MrsFychan,

Think thats the route I will aim for.

BEVS Feb 9th 2016 6:56 pm

Perhaps keep the eyes peeled on the

Education Gazette

& put some feelers out.