EWRB (Electrician reg) = WTR or PR?

Old Dec 19th 2009, 1:30 pm

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EWRB (Electrician reg) = WTR or PR?

Hi all - so my hubby is a spark and we have submitted our ITA without job offers.

In order to get his provisional licence to do his job in NZ we understand he must have EWRB (Electricial Workers Reg Board) registration.

However in order to get this he has to complete a H&S course either in London, only run twice yearly, or in NZ. He then has to gain work in NZ and sit a couple of exams I think?

Has anyone been through this process and can advise in detail the procedure they went though in order to get their EWRB licence.

Also, does anyone know if this means we will only get WTR if he doesn't have his provisional licence or a job offer before we go or is it a possibility we could get PR?

Thanks
Old Dec 19th 2009, 3:10 pm
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EWRB (Electrician reg) = WTR or PR?

I'm not sure about the EWRB, but hope I can help with the visa question.

I am a pharmacist and my registration is similar - I can only register with my professional body once I have done a 4 week supervised practice in NZ, which I cannot do without a visa, but can't get PR visa without full professional registration - kind of chicken and egg situation.
I have been told, however, that I should be able to be issued with a temporary WTR visa. Then assuming I meet all the requirements I should be able to convert to PR once living and working in NZ.

Hope this helps a bit...oh and someone come along and correct me if I am wrong!!
Old Dec 20th 2009, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

jjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Flower Pot
Hi all - so my hubby is a spark and we have submitted our ITA without job offers.

In order to get his provisional licence to do his job in NZ we understand he must have EWRB (Electricial Workers Reg Board) registration.

However in order to get this he has to complete a H&S course either in London, only run twice yearly, or in NZ. He then has to gain work in NZ and sit a couple of exams I think?

Has anyone been through this process and can advise in detail the procedure they went though in order to get their EWRB licence.

Also, does anyone know if this means we will only get WTR if he doesn't have his provisional licence or a job offer before we go or is it a possibility we could get PR?

Thanks
Hi

I did all my electrical courses in rn, so didn't need any health and saftey course, was ready to apply for provional licence for electrician, but they don't want fridgys no more, my advise, make sure sparky's are still on skills shortage list, get a job offer first, it'll take longer but go for pr, as then your there, but check what you get paid so you can live, no point having a dream that turns to a nightmare. Don't want to put a dampner on it, but don't get a red mist of how perfect it'll be, it might not be, but good luck.

j.j.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

jjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud of

Hi again,

send me a pm with your e-mail address i'll see if i can help.

j.j.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Bevs sent me here (thanks)

My hubby is a spark but we were over here before he had to sit any of the exams. We applied for a pr but only got a WTR as most sparks i think tend to do. While waiting on our EOI paper work to come out my hubby saw a job online and applied for it which he then went on to do a video interview and was offered it. What then happened was he started the job and within first few weeks they sent them on the Health and safety exam. after 12 weeks of being in the job he then submitted a letter from his emplyer stating that he had a pernament job within the company and we were granted PR , though i have heard of some who have to wait for 2 years on a WTR so must be different types(BEVS can help you out here though as i dont have a clue) He then sat his regs exams and passed them first go , but he didnt have to have this to get PR though . So i def think it can be done without getting all this in the uk, plus the H&S was cheaper here as in britain it would have cost him travel to london from glasgow, accomodation etc , here it was done on site and cost nothing for us. he also had other wee exams but not sure what they were for, and as he on a gas refinery he has exams constantly .

need anything else give me yell

Caroline
Old Dec 30th 2009, 3:22 pm

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies all.

Shelloid - think its pretty similar as to electrical reg in that you need to have a nz employer to get full EWRB reg

JJ - thanks for the advice, we have looked at many options and are going for it with or without job offers!
We know what to expect bills wise and that it may be difficult to secure jobs but hey if you have a dream its worth taking that leap sometimes. My parents live over there so we have someone to stay with while we find our feet, plus my dad is friends with a few sparkies so we are hoping someone comes through for us when we get there. It is still on the skills shortage so thats in our favour. We are also prepared to move to where the work is so !!!

I am a scientist and there are plenty of pharma companies in the city so also hoping it wont be too difficult for me to find work then we could always swap the PR application to me as the main applicant. Wishful thinking but hey I'm one of those 'glass is half full' people!

Caroline - thanks so much for all the info, that sounds exactly like what we want to do... I looked into the H&S course in London but seems its only run twice a year and will be easier to sort once we're over there. I dont suppose your hubbys company are looking for sparks are they?!

Thanks
Old Dec 30th 2009, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Im afraid they aren't looking, When Gary started on the site there was 120 sparks , Gary then moved onto the Commisioning team and there are now 4 of them left. the site should be up and running for the end of Feb/March and they will be finishing up at Kupe. Gary has been lucky that he has made great friends there that are industrial techs and one has offered him a job so he will be doing that also he is doing a 2 yr course to get his instro tech which will make him duel trade and mega buxs lol

im with you if its your dream just go for it i'm def a half full glass kinda girl and i have nothing to complain about with NZ its all i ever hoped for and much much more(oh yea apart from the builders we got to build our house but not going to let that get me down now) atleast we got a decent spark