Evidence of relationship

Old Jun 13th 2010, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Little-miss-80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Evidence of relationship

Looks like we may have hit our first problem...

Me and my partner have very little evidence of our relationship because he moved in with me so all bills etc are in my name and his are still under his parents address.

We do have the following evidence:
* Emails between us (dated and full names in email addresses)
* Mobile phone calls between us both (on bills)
* Photos - Mainly from days out to local sights
* Email between us which refers to us both attending a wedding reception (he lost the invite itself!!)
* A wedding invite and envelope with both our names, my address and postage date on
* A blog with dated posts on
* Birthday/Xmas cards but with no dates or addresses on

I hate clutter and throw everything away i.e. receipts for meals etc. What I do have doesn't go back 12 months either (only 6 months worth from what I have collected up)

What can I do? The above list doesn't seem enough... What do they require?
Old Jun 13th 2010, 5:57 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Evidence of relationship

Originally Posted by Little-miss-80
Looks like we may have hit our first problem...

Me and my partner have very little evidence of our relationship because he moved in with me so all bills etc are in my name and his are still under his parents address.

We do have the following evidence:
* Emails between us (dated and full names in email addresses)
* Mobile phone calls between us both (on bills)
* Photos - Mainly from days out to local sights
* Email between us which refers to us both attending a wedding reception (he lost the invite itself!!)
* A wedding invite and envelope with both our names, my address and postage date on
* A blog with dated posts on
* Birthday/Xmas cards but with no dates or addresses on

I hate clutter and throw everything away i.e. receipts for meals etc. What I do have doesn't go back 12 months either (only 6 months worth from what I have collected up)

What can I do? The above list doesn't seem enough... What do they require?
How about the electoral roll? have you got your recent polling cards, or council tax bill?

Most of the bills we had were in my hubsters name but I did have the odd Next bill, letter from bank.so although we didnt have much in our joint names we did have letters (in one or the others name) that showed we had the same address. It is bit of a nightmare

Have a peek here if not already

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...artnership.htm

Good luck with it all

Dewb

Last edited by Dewb09; Jun 13th 2010 at 6:01 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Little-miss-80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply, we have looked and looked and came across only one bill with his name at my address but its pretty useless because its for the TV licence which he paid in full at the beginning of this month! Typical! Ha ha

We have been living together for 11 months so far (EOI not going in for another 2 months due to getting my qualifications assessed and teaching registration done first) so we will pass the 12 months required although it looks like we can not prove it

I looked at the list earlier:

* Correspondence (including post marked envelopes) to you and your partner at the same address - The TV licence??

* Any documents showing public or family recognition of your relationship - Would the wedding invite addressed to us both cover this?

* Photographs of you and your partner together - We have these plus the online blog

* Evidence of communication between you both - The emails?? His number showing on my phone bill

* Evidence of you being committed to each other emotionally and exclusively, such as evidence of joint decision making, an exclusive sexual relationship, and the sharing of household duties, parental responsibility, and spare time... How on earth do you provide evidence for any of this??
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Sarah1999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Do you have a joint lease? Or you ask for his name to be put on the lease and then include that. I'd also recommend getting a joint bank account set up and including a satement or two.... can't hurt

Good luck!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 8:26 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Little-miss-80
Thanks for the reply, we have looked and looked and came across only one bill with his name at my address but its pretty useless because its for the TV licence which he paid in full at the beginning of this month! Typical! Ha ha

We have been living together for 11 months so far (EOI not going in for another 2 months due to getting my qualifications assessed and teaching registration done first) so we will pass the 12 months required although it looks like we can not prove it

I looked at the list earlier:

* Correspondence (including post marked envelopes) to you and your partner at the same address - The TV licence??

* Any documents showing public or family recognition of your relationship - Would the wedding invite addressed to us both cover this?

* Photographs of you and your partner together - We have these plus the online blog

* Evidence of communication between you both - The emails?? His number showing on my phone bill

* Evidence of you being committed to each other emotionally and exclusively, such as evidence of joint decision making, an exclusive sexual relationship, and the sharing of household duties, parental responsibility, and spare time... How on earth do you provide evidence for any of this??
I had to use the TV licence as it was about the only bill in my name!
Also used a wedding invite as again both of us were on it.

Would have thought the emails & phone calls would be good as well. As you can prove dates on them.

As for the last one very hard. Hopefully someone who has been through this can help better

What I did was compile bits from each year, obviously a lot easier for us as we are married with children (evidence there then ) So using our marriage certificate as a starting point (1999) I just used bits from across a couple of years. Mostly was TV licence and council tax bills. Then things like the odd next bill (for me), water bill (him), Sky TV (him), BT (him). Anything that had one or the others name & address on for that year.
Put in a mixture of photos, some when we first met (looking younger) some with kids (looking haggard)

Are you able do similar but using each month instead? very hard I can imagine especially as you have not had children together or married.
As OP said get him to change address so bills etc are not going to his parents anymore.

Good luck
DEwb
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

i have also heard of couples getting a friend with professional standing to write a letter stating how long they have known them as an exclusive couple.

also, we managed to get photos of us together, taken in the past, by other family members or friends (even more useful with dates printed on them)

jax
Old Jun 14th 2010, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

We sent in copies of bank statments whiched showed money going from our personal accounts into our joint account. Photos of us together and dating them to show we had been together for X amount of years.
Just send as much evidence as you can.

Good Luck
Old Jun 14th 2010, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

We did the bank statements as well also got letters of all our mates anything will do we adopted a dog in joint names, we had a fitted bedroom with 2 names on the receipt, photos from nights out, etc

Neil
Old Jun 14th 2010, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

HI we also sent photo's of us together with friends from years back & just highlighted who we were in them & friends wrote letters ( but only those we hand picked as upstanding members of the community !)
Old Jun 14th 2010, 11:57 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Get a long standing friends from each side and ask them to swear an affadavit as to the nature of the relationship and its length, if they are professionals or individuals with standing so much the better.

Should only cost about 5-10 each tl get a solicitor to take the oath on each one, if you are struggling for other evidence that could be a good route.

Various NZIS forms need attesting so it is a standard part of their expectations in various areas.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 9:21 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

When my husband and I applied for my spouse visa in 1997 I remember asking my mother to write a letter confirming my relationship with my husband. Which she kindly did. A letter from my mother, oh puleez ! I laughed and cringed simultaneously.
Now that I have a new blue sticker in my passport (it's a long story, save to say, we mean it this time) we only needed to send copy of our marriage cert, mortgage statement, council tax etc and a letter from my husband supporting my visa application. I thought, please don't tell NZ Immigration that we are in love, that will just be to much of a cringe ! However he did need to mention briefly how we met, when we married and our plans to emigrate in February of next year. Sweet as a nut, it was turned around in 4 weeks.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 5:38 am
Just Joined

albertito0510 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie
When my husband and I applied for my spouse visa in 1997 I remember asking my mother to write a letter confirming my relationship with my husband. Which she kindly did. A letter from my mother, oh puleez ! I laughed and cringed simultaneously.
Now that I have a new blue sticker in my passport (it's a long story, save to say, we mean it this time) we only needed to send copy of our marriage cert, mortgage statement, council tax etc and a letter from my husband supporting my visa application. I thought, please don't tell NZ Immigration that we are in love, that will just be to much of a cringe ! However he did need to mention briefly how we met, when we married and our plans to emigrate in February of next year. Sweet as a nut, it was turned around in 4 weeks.
just a thought as i was reading this thread. Aren't marriage certificate enough as proof of evidence of relationship? This may not be applicable to the main poster but am worried in my case as, I also don't have enough evidence for a relationship such as joint bank accounts, insurance whatsoever... I only have a marriage certificate plus an excess baggage who just turned 1year old last month.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 7:08 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Albertito, a marriage certificate is a good start (if you have one, it's not a criticism of those who don't). However, if husband and wife no longer live together because they are estranged the marriage certificate has kinda been undermined. It's useful for immigration to see an element of joint focus on the relationship, but if through circumstances husband and wife (and baby in your case) are renting a friend's back room or staying with relatives then finding any sort of joint paperwork can be tricky. The suggestion of a previous person to get an affidavit sounded useful. However, consult the nz immigration website for what they actually need, not what one assumes they need. A few days after I submitted my application I got a phone call from NZ Immigration asking me to supply copies of various documents which was relevant to the suggestions on the NZ Immigration website. I went ahead and did so, posted them, e-mailed a few days later to confirm that they had been received, got an e-mail reply to say they had, sat tight for a few weeks then my passport came in the post with its' blue sticker in.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 7:15 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by albertito0510
Aren't marriage certificate enough as proof of evidence of relationship? ... I only have a marriage certificate plus an excess baggage who just turned 1year old last month.
Sadly there are too many arranged marriages for the purposes of immigration (that is a world-wide problem), for any single certificate to be taken in that way. That is why NZIS look for a body of evidence, not just a single certificate.

You will of course have a birth certificate, with both your names on that is good further evidence.