British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Evidence of never having lived in country of citizenship. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/evidence-never-having-lived-country-citizenship-686409/)

Laloo Sep 21st 2010 8:19 pm

Evidence of never having lived in country of citizenship.

If you have never lived in the country of your citizenship, INZ require satisfactory evidence of this. I'm an Irish citizen, but have never lived in there and can therefore not get a police certificate from them. I was able to get Irish citizenship through my grandmother who was born there.

Does anyone know what would constitute satisfactory eveidence?

Toon_Nut Sep 21st 2010 8:24 pm

Re: Evidence of never having lived in country of citizenship.

Absolutely nee idea, great question and good luck with it.
:thumbup:

If you don't mind me asking, why choose to become an Irish citizen, were you born outside of the EU?

Tell me to pi*s off, I don't really mind TBH, I'm just curious!
:D

skybluestu Sep 21st 2010 8:31 pm

Looks like most of the Irish football team when Big Jack was Manager would have had the same problem lol

Laloo Sep 21st 2010 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Toon_Nut (Post 8866216)
Absolutely nee idea, great question and good luck with it.
:thumbup:

If you don't mind me asking, why choose to become an Irish citizen, were you born outside of the EU?

Tell me to pi*s off, I don't really mind TBH, I'm just curious!
:D

I would never tell you to pi*s off, I respect you too much. :D

I was born in South Africa, nobody liked us until 1994:(, so I became an Irish citizen through my grandmother.

Toon_Nut Sep 21st 2010 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Laloo (Post 8866261)
I would never tell you to pi*s off, I respect you too much. :D

I was born in South Africa, nobody liked us until 1994:(, so I became an Irish citizen through my grandmother.

That's cool, nee botha.

Can't you run like? Surely you could of sneaked in on the blind side and done a "Zola"?
;)

So, why can't the police from the country your living in give you a records check?

Would it not just come back as "No Trace" therefore - very good person?
:thumbsup:

Laloo Sep 21st 2010 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Toon_Nut (Post 8866278)
That's cool, nee botha.

Can't you run like? Surely you could of sneaked in on the blind side and done a "Zola"?
;)

So, why can't the police from the country your living in give you a records check?

Would it not just come back as "No Trace" therefore - very good person?
:thumbsup:

I'm getting one from the UK where I live, but INZ also need one from the country of your citizenship. If you have never lived in the country of your citizenship, you need to provide evidence of this. To get an Irish certificate you have to apply to the police district where you lived in Ireland. As I've never lived there, this is impossible.:confused:

kimilseung Sep 21st 2010 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Laloo (Post 8866343)
I'm getting one from the UK where I live, but INZ also need one from the country of your citizenship. If you have never lived in the country of your citizenship, you need to provide evidence of this. To get an Irish certificate you have to apply to the police district where you lived in Ireland. As I've never lived there, this is impossible.:confused:

Can you explain why it is impossible to apply?

Laloo Sep 21st 2010 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 8866350)
Can you explain why it is impossible to apply?

I've never lived in Ireland and the Irish Police force website states that you need to apply to the Superintendent of your police district where you lived in Ireland.

The Irish police force is split into over 20 divisions and each one has several districts, so which one do I apply to? I've emailed them but still waiting for a reply.

simonsi Sep 21st 2010 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Laloo (Post 8866407)
I've never lived in Ireland and the Irish Police force website states that you need to apply to the Superintendent of your police district where you lived in Ireland.

The Irish police force is split into over 20 divisions and each one has several districts, so which one do I apply to? I've emailed them but still waiting for a reply.

Option 1, provide evidence of where you HAVE lived, you clearly can´t prove a negative of where you haven´t lived any more than I could provide evidence of never living in Nepal...

Option 2, apply to the district where your grandmother lived, as she was the route by which you gained citizenship that should be a good start.

JAJ Sep 24th 2010 4:22 am

Originally Posted by Laloo (Post 8866407)

Don't waste time emailing. Perhaps pick up the phone and call:
http://www.garda.ie/FAQ/Default.aspx...ory=36#FAQ2762

abbey_o Sep 24th 2010 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Laloo (Post 8866198)
If you have never lived in the country of your citizenship, INZ require satisfactory evidence of this. I'm an Irish citizen, but have never lived in there and can therefore not get a police certificate from them. I was able to get Irish citizenship through my grandmother who was born there.

Does anyone know what would constitute satisfactory eveidence?

Hi Laloo, my boyfriend recently had this prob, as he too has an irish passport, but has never lived there. He contacted the gardai on 0035350427300(which is the main vetting unit for eire) and they advised him to write a letter to them outlining his requirement from inz re police cert. They promptly wrote back saying as he has never lived there he doesn't need one, And the letter he put in with his app form and the inz were happy with that. He also had to produce a police cert from uk as that is where we live. Hope this helps. Abbey

Laloo Sep 24th 2010 8:43 am

Thanks for all the replies. I'll phone them and see what they say.

abbey_o Sep 24th 2010 12:21 pm

hope you sorted it out, the main vetting unit was in thurles, co. tipp, my boyfriends folks were from cork and kerry, so I think that is the main office for munster.