British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Evidence of child dependency (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/evidence-child-dependency-426995/)

caitlin206 Feb 15th 2007 5:05 pm

Evidence of child dependency

Can anyone here hslp?
I have children aged 20 and 22. they are hopefully coming to NZ with us. our case officer has asked for proof that they are financially dependent on us but won't say what proof we can give. We have sent letter stating that they are single living at home and with no partners or kids. What else can I say to convince them - do they want payslips or something?

Twig Feb 15th 2007 5:49 pm

Re: Evidence of child dependency

Originally Posted by caitlin206 (Post 4408571)
Can anyone here hslp?
I have children aged 20 and 22. they are hopefully coming to NZ with us. our case officer has asked for proof that they are financially dependent on us but won't say what proof we can give. We have sent letter stating that they are single living at home and with no partners or kids. What else can I say to convince them - do they want payslips or something?

Maybe evidence of them being in full time education i.e Uni?

Otherwise, I think it will be hard to say a 20 and 22 year old are not capable of being self sufficient.

caitlin206 Feb 16th 2007 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Twig (Post 4408718)
Maybe evidence of them being in full time education i.e Uni?

Otherwise, I think it will be hard to say a 20 and 22 year old are not capable of being self sufficient.

Yeah. Unfortunately neither are at Uni but both live at home. One works for me (I have my own business). When I relocate the business will be closing rendering her jobless and homeless - you would think that would count. The second girl only took a temporary contract when we applied for NZ so she will be out of work in March - surely then they will both be financially dependent on me.

Twig Feb 16th 2007 7:18 am

Originally Posted by caitlin206 (Post 4410820)
Yeah. Unfortunately neither are at Uni but both live at home. One works for me (I have my own business). When I relocate the business will be closing rendering her jobless and homeless - you would think that would count. The second girl only took a temporary contract when we applied for NZ so she will be out of work in March - surely then they will both be financially dependent on me.

I can see where your coming from totally, and any half decent parent would consider their children (especially in their situation) dependent on them. Have you looked at any other options? i.e. They travel out there as a visitor (I think they are allowed to stay for 6 months), find a job whilst out there, apply for work visa and PR at the same time whilst claiming points for family (you and OH)? A plan B maybe if the NZIS are unsympathetic.

Anyway, good luck! :thumbup:

P2L Feb 16th 2007 12:41 pm

Hiya Caitlin

Can you provide proof through electoral role, bank statements, car insurance or similar??? Basically antthing that proves that they are relying on the good old Bank of Mum & Dad!!!

Joshlin Feb 19th 2007 4:28 am

Hi there,
I remember looking into this when we emigrated, the eldest then decided not to come so we didn't take in any further, but I'm sure the online handbook details the acceptable evidence.
I'll see if I can find the link - it's on the NZIS website, in the operational manual.

Vicki

Here's one bit:

aged 17 to 24, with no child(ren) of their own, and
single*, and
totally or substantially reliant on an adult (whether their parent or not) for financial support, whether they live with them or not,

When determining whether a child of 17 to 24 years of age is totally or substantially reliant on an adult (whether their parent or not) for financial support, visa and immigration officers must consider the whole application, taking into account all relevant factors including:
whether the child is in paid employment, whether this is full time or part time, and its duration;
whether the child has any other independent means of financial support;
whether the child is living with its parents or another family member, and the extent to which other support is provided;
whether the child is studying, and whether this is full time or part time.

caitlin206 Mar 2nd 2007 7:45 am

thanks everyone for your help. I think the advice of visitor visa may have to be the way forward. i wish the immigration people could be a fly on the wall everytime i go shopping and open the "communal purse2 only to find that one of my strapped-for-cash-kids had got there first! they may have their own bank accounts and jobs but they are still partially dependent on me for money - and at 20 and 22 totally dependent on me for emotional support. I can't imagine emigrating and not taking them - they are still my "little girls"
Oh well - lets see what immigration say next. Thanks anyway for your help