Essential Skills Visa questions

Old Aug 9th 2012, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

adam12345 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Essential Skills Visa questions

Hi,

Just been offered a job in NZ and it seems as though the Essential Skills Visa is the route I'm going to have to take... at least to begin with anyway.

I have two questions.

How long do these visas usually take to process, given there are no complications?

How easy is it to change employer once once in NZ, when under a Essential Skills Visa?
I ask this because my job offer isn't exactly ideal, but I am very keen to relocate. If I find a more suitable job once I'm out there, will it be relatively easy to change employment, providing all the visa conditions are still met?
Old Aug 9th 2012, 7:50 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Essential Skills Visa questions

your best bet is to look at the Immigration office you are applying from time scales. these can be found on the website.
from the UK last year we submitted our ITA on 28th Oct and got the visa in our passports 14th Feb which was practically to the day on the time scales given to us.

My understanding from my husband, who was the main applicant, is that the job offer has to be for 2years, his understanding is that you have to have intent to stay in that job for that time. Obviously this is just his understanding and he enjoys his job so hasn't bothered checking on that.
Hopefully someone who knows for sure will be along to advice on that part of your question
Old Aug 9th 2012, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

If you gain PR via a job offer you have to stay for a minimum of 13 weeks in that job if you have a restriction on your passport, that restriction can then be removed by taking a letter from your employer, 13 weeks payslips, and relevant bank statements to the nearest immigration office and getting the restriction removed.

After that you can change jobs as long as it is on the skilled list (Appendix 6) on NZ immigration website. If your new job is not on the list dont change.

My husband was told by immigration when he entered the country that he had to stay in his job for 2 years, but this is incorrect as I checked the above with our old case officer.

Good luck.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies but the Essential Skills visa is a temporary one and I feel that the advice you are giving is based on experiences with permanent visas.

My job is not on the skilled list, but I have been made an offer based on the fact that the company has been unable to find anybody local who has the skills to do it.
Although I have the skills, it would not be my first choice of occupation so I'm hoping to find another job, which is more preferable to me, while I'm out there. Like this one, it would likely need to be a job where the employer is unable to find the skills locally.... but given that I manage to find such a job, I want to know how easy it would be to accept it.

Last edited by adam12345; Aug 9th 2012 at 8:46 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by adam12345
Thanks for the replies but the Essential Skills visa is a temporary one which is usually only granted for 1-3 years. In my case, probably only 1 year. I feel that the advice you are giving is based on experiences with permanent visas.
My job is not on the skilled list, but I have been made an offer based on the fact that the company has been unable to find anybody local who has the skills to do it.
Although I have the skills, it would not be my first choice of occupation so I'm hoping to find another job, which is more preferable to me, while I'm out there. Like this one, it would likely need to be a job where the employer is unable to find the skills locally.... but given that I manage to find such a job, I want to know how easy it would be to accept it.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

stephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Essential Skills Visa questions

Adam,
my Visa is ESWI, ISSL & LTSSL. I was made redundant earlier this year and was told by INZ that a replacement job must be at the same category level.
Mine is level 2 and I am now planning my return to the UK as I have been unable to replace like for like.
My company had paid for an immigration consultancy to run my Residency Application, so didn't run my own application for PR. Needless to say the consultancy have been a waste of space (see forum threads on the important contribution these insects make to life in NZ).
If I had PR I could survive, plenty of work in ChCh to have kept me going until I got another job in my profession.
PR= ability to change to any job.
there is more flexibility in WTR, if you can get it.
:?

Last edited by stephen60; Aug 10th 2012 at 12:42 am. Reason: addition
Old Aug 10th 2012, 1:27 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Just been offered a job in NZ and it seems as though the Essential Skills Visa is the route I'm going to have to take... at least to begin with anyway.

I have two questions.

How long do these visas usually take to process, given there are no complications?

How easy is it to change employer once once in NZ, when under a Essential Skills Visa?
I ask this because my job offer isn't exactly ideal, but I am very keen to relocate. If I find a more suitable job once I'm out there, will it be relatively easy to change employment, providing all the visa conditions are still met?
One point to bear in mind is that if you bring a partner with you, their work visa will normally be any job/any employer ie without any restrictions....
Old Aug 10th 2012, 2:08 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi,

There is nothing to stop you looking for new employment once in NZ.

Please be aware that if you change employers you will need to apply for a brand new work permit and your new NZ employer will need to go through the approval in principle palaver to show no NZ resident or citizen can fill that role.

You won't be able to work for the new employer until you have the new work prmit in your grubby mitt.

If you change jobs or job description whilst working for the same employer, then you apply for a variation of conditions.

Please read HERE