Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Essential skilled visa on an Exemption gasfitting under Supervision?

Essential skilled visa on an Exemption gasfitting under Supervision?

Old Jul 24th 2018, 12:29 am
Just Joined

Yates is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Essential skilled visa on an Exemption gasfitting under Supervision?

Hi.
I'm currently in Chch on a WHV working as a Bricklayer.
I'm aslo a qualified Gas fitter back in the UK (BPEC Domestic Gas Fitter) with only 2 experiences.
Ive been looking on NZ immigration and to apply for any visa you need 4 years experience.
Speaking to someone onsite he said there is away round to get the visa as a friend was on a exemption under supervision on a skilled visa. Maybe he had the 4 years experience, but I'm unable to confirm this with the friend.
Has anybody heard or know of a way around this? or would it be best to look at the accredited companies of Hays and Canstaff to get the accredited work to residence visa.
Thanks in advance and apologies if I'm stating the obvious.
Emerson
Old Jul 24th 2018, 4:26 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Essential skilled visa on an Exemption gasfitting under Supervision?

That's OK. Can you tell me exactly what gasfitter qualifications you do have please.

Yes. If an employer wishes to employ you as a part of a gasfitter team then you can work for them provided they/you uplift the correct license and you are 100% supervised in all you do.

Is this with a view to remaining in NZ longer than your WHV?
Or is this with a view to remaining long term ?
Old Jul 24th 2018, 5:01 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Essential skilled visa on an Exemption gasfitting under Supervision?

Hi BEVS.

Thanks for the quick response.

The course i passed was BPEC Gas Foundation Course that I completed in sept 2015 and the appropriate ACS exams Nov 2015 which were: CCN1, CENWAT, CKR1 & CPA1.

That's good news regarding an employer if there willing to do so. Do you mean for an accredited company and not a essential skilled visa through a business?

It would be to remain here long term.

Ive had too many wet days off work Bricklaying which I don’t get paid for.

I currently have just less than 4 months on my WHV left so

Thanks

Old Jul 24th 2018, 5:51 am
`

An accredited employer would be more suitable as gasfitters are not considered in shortage here in New Zealand.

Any other employer would have to prove there is no NZ resident or citizen that could take up the vacancy or be trained for such.

There are some concerns.

1 - The PGDB may not deem your quals enough to be seen as able to become NZ registered. For that what you have has to be seen as an NZ level 4 and looking at your courses I am not sure it is equivalent.

That would mean you remain basically a gasfitter runner which most companies don't need as they use apprentices for that. Part of the pre-registration application requirement is that you can show 4 yrs exp which you say you do not have.

2 - Level of pay.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 8:14 am
Just Joined

The concerns you mentioned are the same what I thought but good to get a second option and from someone who knows what they’re talking about so I appreciate your time you’ve spend writing back.

Ill will get in touch with the 2 accredited companies and see what they say about my situation.

Thanks
Old Jul 24th 2018, 10:38 pm
`

Originally Posted by Yates
The concerns you mentioned are the same what I thought but good to get a second option and from someone who knows what they’re talking about so I appreciate your time you’ve spend writing back.

Ill will get in touch with the 2 accredited companies and see what they say about my situation.

Thanks
If they have a vacancy , they will be able to employ you if they so wish.

It may pay you to check out the level for your UK quals via the PGDB and also talk with SkillsNZ .

There may be a pathway for you to upskill in the trade despite that you are not an NZ resident.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 12:55 am
Just Joined

Fingers crossed they have room for me. I’ll be writing to them this afternoon.

Im all up for learning the trade here aswell.