British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   EOI - is it worth adding points above 140? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/eoi-worth-adding-points-above-140-a-704076/)

Kiwi_adventure Feb 6th 2011 7:31 pm

EOI - is it worth adding points above 140?

Hi all

Just a quick question which I think I already know the answer to but would like to be reassured by those wiser than me at this immigration lark.

We have 140 points based on qualification, work experience, age and spouse qualifications. Could potentially claim bonus points for qualification in area of skills shortage but think this would require assessment.

From what I have read so far I think it would be better just to go with the 140 points as no benefit to adding the bonus ones and they might cost us money in terms of assessment. Am I right?

Thanks in advance

simonsi Feb 6th 2011 9:16 pm

Re: EOI - is it worth adding points above 140?

Assuming NZIS assess your points the same as you have, if they don't allow you some points and that drops you below the threshold for selection in your draw, you go back into the pool.

Better IMHO to include all points sources and have the discussion with NZIS at the ITA stage whether you need to go through assessment if you would have enough points without.

Persephone Feb 6th 2011 10:10 pm

ok, I may be a bit slow today but if you are claiming points for a qualification and that qual is recognised by NZIS then won't you automatically get the bonus points if that qual is in an area of absolute skills shortage? So no need for extra assessment? Or are you talking about a different qualification? Or have I completely misunderstood:(

Kiwi_adventure Feb 7th 2011 8:07 am

I probably didn't explain it very well or have misunderstood the system. We will claim the points for a recognised degree which won't need to be assessed however we could also claim the bonus points for qualifcation in shortage skill. But it is in relation to IT and I have read that unless the degree title is 'computer science' (which it isn't it is Business Information Systems) you have to prove that it matches and that could involve an assessment.

As we don't need the bonus points as have 140 based on our calculation wasn't sure if it was worth including

Persephone Feb 8th 2011 12:10 am

Aah now I understand.
140points is an automatic selection so if you do have this many points then you should be selected at the next draw whether or not you have points for absolute skills shortage:thumbup:
So it should not make any difference if you go for bonus pts or not. If you had less than 140 then it may be an advantage having those points depending on which categories were being selected.

Kiwi_adventure Feb 8th 2011 10:30 am

Thanks for the input