EOI and Work visa/permit help please...

Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:55 am
Just Joined

trusha55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EOI and Work visa/permit help please...

Hi guys,

I’m hoping someone out there can offer some guidance as the people on the end of the phone at NZ Immigration are of no help.

I’m currently living and working in Auckland. Been here for 2 years in March. My current work visa expires on 5th March 2010. In the meantime I have had my EOI selected on 2nd December but have yet to hear anything from the Auckland branch... firstly is this normal?’

Secondly I have applied for a new work permit. Put in the application earlier this month but still waiting to hear about that as well. Does anyone have any experience of how long they take in Auckland to process these? I’m panicking majorly as my visa runs out so soon. If I haven’t heard anything by 5th March what are my options? Apparently I can stay until a decision has been made but that would make me unlawful which I don’t want to risk in the unfortunate event that they then don’t grant me a new permit. Can I leave the country and come back in on a tourist visa and then wait for a decision? The girl on the phone told me they wouldn’t let me into the country if I tried to do that because my intention wasn’t to travel.

Feel like the whole process is impossible in Auckland. Can’t find anyone to speak to that actually knows what they are talking about. Please help!
Old Jan 21st 2010, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

blackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to all
Default Re: EOI and Work visa/permit help please...

Don't know if this helps but my OH is in NZ, not Auckland though, and he applied for his work permit in December, they took the payment on the 18th of Dec but he hasn't heard anything more. Apparently it's upto 60 days to process in Auckland. Check if they have taken the payment, if so they are probrably working on it. I've noticed that you have to be very patient in NZ.

Dawn X
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:12 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: EOI and Work visa/permit help please...

Originally Posted by trusha55
Hi guys,

I’m hoping someone out there can offer some guidance as the people on the end of the phone at NZ Immigration are of no help.

I’m currently living and working in Auckland. Been here for 2 years in March. My current work visa expires on 5th March 2010. In the meantime I have had my EOI selected on 2nd December but have yet to hear anything from the Auckland branch... firstly is this normal?’
Yes. EOIs can take some while for NZIS to check and don't forget it is summer hols still so they will be short staffed.

Secondly I have applied for a new work permit. Put in the application earlier this month but still waiting to hear about that as well. Does anyone have any experience of how long they take in Auckland to process these? I’m panicking majorly as my visa runs out so soon. If I haven’t heard anything by 5th March what are my options? Apparently I can stay until a decision has been made but that would make me unlawful which I don’t want to risk in the unfortunate event that they then don’t grant me a new permit. Can I leave the country and come back in on a tourist visa and then wait for a decision? The girl on the phone told me they wouldn’t let me into the country if I tried to do that because my intention wasn’t to travel.
My thought & this is only what I would do if it comes to around 20th Feb or so with no news, is that go back to Auckland branch , tell them again about the work permit and EOI inthe pipeline and ask for a visitors permit to allow you to extend your stay in the country without working.
If your NZ employer will undertake to keep the job for you until the permit comes through, then this could bridge the gap.

From the NZIS website

Originally Posted by NZIS website
My work permit has nearly expired but I'd like to stay for another three months to holiday in New Zealand before returning home. What are my options?

You need to apply for a Visitor’s Permit, before your Work Permit expires. This will allow you to stay in and travel around New Zealand.

Whatever you do, don't leave the country and think to re-enter as a visitor, because to an Immy officer as passport control it could look like you are trying to re-enter to work without a permit.