British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   EOI selections from 27th April 2005 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/eoi-selections-27th-april-2005-a-302687/)

enilorac May 13th 2005 3:27 pm

Re: EOI selections from 27th April 2005

Originally Posted by Biddy
do a few quick checks to make sure your not in Broadmoor

Best get down to reception and tell the girls if anyone rings I'm not in then!! :D

Paladin May 13th 2005 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by enilorac
Nooo...I'd get hung, drawn and quartered if I tried to log on at work...

plus I'm just too conscientious http://tcwozere.co.uk/smileys/angel.gif :p
Gotta go and make rhubarb crumble...thanks for playing so nice :D
Might just check and see if my status has changed first though...hohum :(

Take care....sent you some karma to get you through the weekend of waiting for Monday so you can check status again LOL :D

Dave

enilorac May 13th 2005 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Paladin
Take care....sent you some karma to get you through the weekend of waiting for Monday so you can check status again LOL :D

Dave

Not funny Dave :( :p it's a long time until Monday you know - are you sure they don't work weekends!!!

Markk May 13th 2005 3:33 pm

Mark,

Good thoughts, cheers.

I have several employed jobs in the USA and then after that several in UK, then several years self-employed in the UK. I have contact info for all the employed positions in USA & UK except one which unfortunately would be the one to take me from 7yrs 8 months to 8yrs 8months ie from 100 to 105 points! The self employed then took me over the 10 yrs ie 110pts. I was getting the impression (from I think a post from Biddy to me) that the self employed would not be allowed even though it is in the same field??
Anyway, since selection on our day was 100 points I am hoping fingers crossed it is all academic and we are fine anyway.

I did find it interesting though that I obviously said I was a UK resident but when I listed employment in USA it didn't pick up on needing a USA tax number as well as the UK one to allow employers to find me on their personnel computer systems in the USA.
And on the EOI there was no space on each job listing for "Notes" so to speak apart from the box to say why the work should be recognised....maybe I should have put it in there???
Guess if they need the info they will send me a message or email me!!
Cheers,
Dave

Dave,
From what I understand, and I'm pretty sure it says this in the ITA info (I don't have it in front of me), self employed does count but you need to produce evidence in the way of Accountants financial statements for the years you were self employed. I'm in the same situation because I was self employed for three years (1997-2000) but have a letter from my accountant. They accepted this in the EOI, so should be OK I think. I also have a small gap in my employment where I have no reference, but have a P60 with the companies name on it. Do you have anything like this?
Also, it doesn't say anything about 10 consecutive years. Does the total sum of your employed years come to more than 10 even without the one year gap?
I don't know any of this for certain, it does seem a little vague to me, but that is my take on it!
I didn't put my tax number on the EOI, so I don't think it makes any difference. A lot of companies don't hold info back that far anyway.
Cheers,
Mark

Paladin May 13th 2005 3:33 pm

As far as I'm aware the EOI verification stage is fairly automatic - they draw out all those over 100 points, do a few quick checks to make sure your not in Broadmoor or somewhere and then ask you to apply.
All the job checks etc I think come in the application for residence bit?
Biddy

Oh wise one with the PR........think you are right!!!!!

Dave

Paladin May 13th 2005 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Markk
Dave,
From what I understand, and I'm pretty sure it says this in the ITA info (I don't have it in front of me), self employed does count but you need to produce evidence in the way of Accountants financial statements for the years you were self employed. I'm in the same situation because I was self employed for three years (1997-2000) but have a letter from my accountant. They accepted this in the EOI, so should be OK I think. I also have a small gap in my employment where I have no reference, but have a P60 with the companies name on it. Do you have anything like this?
Also, it doesn't say anything about 10 consecutive years. Does the total sum of your employed years come to more than 10 even without the one year gap?
I don't know any of this for certain, it does seem a little vague to me, but that is my take on it!
I didn't put my tax number on the EOI, so I don't think it makes any difference. A lot of companies don't hold info back that far anyway.
Cheers,
Mark

Mark,

sounds reassuring, cheers.

the 10 years is definitely not consecutive LOL!! I think you are right and it's total work but not needing to be consecutive. Have other gaps besides the 1 year USA job where the company I think has closed, where I cleared off travelling, took break from financial world etc....just listed the work experience that was "relevant to my degree" (ie business, investments and finance). My self employed is in the same area too so all ties in I guess.

Dave

sunshine_and_rain May 13th 2005 7:55 pm

Nooo...I'd get hung, drawn and quartered if I tried to log on at work...

plus I'm just too conscientious http://tcwozere.co.uk/smileys/angel.gif :p

Gotta go and make rhubarb crumble...thanks for playing so nice :D

Might just check and see if my status has changed first though...hohum :(

Crikey - we applied under the old system - took 9 monhs all told, and I thought THAT was stressful!! It was stressful, but we couldn't check on-line, thank god or I would have driven myself nuts with despair! My sister in Law has had her OI pulled out (she applied here) and has applied - is it a foregone conclusion that once pulled out you will get residency then? She said that once pulled out you will get residency definately?? It all seems more complicated to me now. Good luck guys - ALL of you :)

enilorac May 14th 2005 9:09 am

Originally Posted by sunshine_and_rain
Crikey - we applied under the old system - took 9 monhs all told, and I thought THAT was stressful!! It was stressful, but we couldn't check on-line, thank god or I would have driven myself nuts with despair! My sister in Law has had her OI pulled out (she applied here) and has applied - is it a foregone conclusion that once pulled out you will get residency then? She said that once pulled out you will get residency definately?? It all seems more complicated to me now. Good luck guys - ALL of you :)

Think yourself lucky you couldn't check on-line because its driving me nuts.....although I think it may have been worse not knowing what was happening!! Have managed to restrain myself so far today hoping that they don't work weekends but I know that I will check just in case someone is doing overtime!! thanks for the pm sunshine or are you rain? ..... :)

enilorac May 14th 2005 9:17 am

Dave

You know we're both waiting for the postman to call?...

Well, picture the scene, I'm sat in my usual guardpost having my morning coffee where I can spy the postie
as he approaches from the east but I get up and log on here to see what's been happening while we've been asleep....

Postman sneaks up while I'm not watching and delivers the post while I'm on here and Himself shouts in

"There's a letter from New Zealand Immigration Service for you".

My heart stops...my ears are ringing....and I can't move...naturally, being a female, my powers of speech are thankfully still intact!

"A letter! A letter! What do you mean there's a letter! I'm expecting a big fat ITA parcel! A letter can't be good......"

I manage to regain the use of my legs and stumble into the lounge..the letter is postmarked via Singapore...
but I thought it was processed in London I think to myself.....this really can't be good can it...

With trembling hands and an even more trembling bottom lip, I open the envelope...

Must go will finish this off later.... :D

Biddy May 14th 2005 9:33 am

Dave

Well, picture the scene, I'm sat in my usual guardpost having my morning coffee where I can spy the postie
as he approaches from the east but I get up and log on here to see what's been happening while we've been asleep....

Postman sneaks up while I'm not watching and delivers the post while I'm on here and Himself shouts in

My heart stops...my ears are ringing....and I can't move...naturally, being a female, my powers of speech are thankfully still intact!

"A letter! A letter! What do you mean there's a letter! I'm expecting a big fat ITA parcel! A letter can't be good......"

I manage to regain the use of my legs and stumble into the lounge..the letter is postmarked via Singapore...
but I thought it was processed in London I think to myself.....this really can't be good can it...

With trembling hands and an even more trembling bottom lip, I open the envelope...

Awwwww come on the suspense is killing me!

enilorac May 14th 2005 10:31 am

Awwwww come on the suspense is killing me!

Would be rude not to wait for Dave..... :D

sunshine_and_rain May 14th 2005 11:07 am

Dave

Oh - come on come on - the suspense is killing me.

enilorac May 14th 2005 11:34 am

Would be rude not to wait for Dave..... :D

Yoohoo...Dave...are you there....I'll give you another hour and then I'll spill the beans!!!

Caroline

Paladin May 14th 2005 1:26 pm

Yoohoo...Dave...are you there....I'll give you another hour and then I'll spill the beans!!!

Caroline

Caroline.....suspense will be killing me too....only popped on for quick minute, busy weekend.....feel free to spill beans before everyone goes mad!!!!....I will catch up with you on Monday probably...all have a great weekend :)

Dave

enilorac May 14th 2005 2:37 pm

Caroline.....suspense will be killing me too....only popped on for quick minute, busy weekend.....feel free to spill beans before everyone goes mad!!!!....I will catch up with you on Monday probably...all have a great weekend :)

Dave

Sorry got carried away elsewhere....so where were we...Oh yes

So I open the envelope fully expecting to see Declined or Returned to Pool splattered all over it but noooo....

It was only a confirmation letter to let us know that we'd been selected from the pool...
I KNEW THAT ON 27TH APRIL....Argggh...

my heart resumed beating and I began to wonder if I should maybe just have a little peak to see if the status had changed yet....... :(