British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   EOI returned to pool what steps next? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/eoi-returned-pool-what-steps-next-721811/)

neit Jun 21st 2011 12:37 pm

EOI returned to pool what steps next?

I am looking for some advice on what step to take next.

I submitted my EOI a few weeks ago and it was selected from the pool.
After imigration new zealand assesed my EOI they advised that my
Masters Degree in Computing and information systems was not at the
required level to qualify for extra points.

So they set may EOI points score at 100 and returned it to the pool.

I have been working in IT for the past 8 years and web development for the
past 4 year.

The letter they sent advised if I had a job offer it would greatly increase
your chances of getting a skilled migrant visa. After having a look on seek to get an idea of jobs
currently available all the jobs appear to say you have to have the right to work and live in
new zealand to apply. I am only skimming surface looking at jobs at the moment.

Just wondering how anyone else approached this situation, by the way
it will only be myself that would be going, no family.

After reading the forums for a the last few week, there have been a few threads of peoples experiences of living in new zealand.

Would it be possible to setout the pros and cons of making the switch?

I believe I have also read that if I applied for an australian visa and was
successfully this would also allow me to work and live in new zealand is
this correct?

Rockey Jun 23rd 2011 11:40 am

Re: EOI returned to pool what steps next?

Did you assess your degrees from NZQA, i mean IQA? What level is given to you ?

neit Jun 23rd 2011 4:24 pm

Hi Rockey
thanks for the reply.

The BA degree I have is not application as it is not in ICT and
I was applying as an ICT Professional only the masters degree counts.
I contact them again about it, as I checked it out and the masters degree
is classified at a level 8, their response was:

You are correct that your Masters qualification is recognised on our List of Qualifications Exempt from Assessment as a level 8 qualification. However, you cannot claim bonus points based on your Masters degree is because it does not meet the level requirements as outliend on our Long Term Skil Shortage List for ICT Professional. Your Masters qualification is listed as a level 8 qualification and unfortunately, we do not consider a level 8 or 9 qualification to be comparable to a level 7 qualification. The requirements as set out on the Long Term Skill Shortage List must be met exactly. Please refer to the following information: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ls.htm?level=2

We are required to follow these very closely and are not able to make concessions for higher qualifications. I understand that this can be frustrating for both applicants and staff alike, however the Long Term Skills Shortage List (LTSSL) of the operations manual states that an ICT Professional must have a Bachelor Degree (Level 7) qualification majoring in computer science, information science or information technology.

For an ICT Professional we would not, for example, be able to accept a Level 8 qualification and furthermore we would also require the appropriate major. An INZ Internal Administration Circular (IAC 10/18) confirms this as it states:

"Where the LTSSL states that a specific type and level of qualification is required, the applicant must hold a qualification of that specific type and level on the NZQF. For example, an NZQF level 9 Masters qualification is not comparable to an NZQF level 7 Bachelor qualification. If a specific subject matter – the discipline and major - is required on the LTSSL then the discipline and major of the applicant’s qualification must be comparable to that of the listed qualification."

Whilst in some cases it may be of the opinion to some that applicants are 'overly' qualified by holding qualifications of a higher level than what is set by the LTSSL requirements you will note from the above quote that we are unable to take this into account as the specific type and level of qualification must match exactly.

Note 1 of the LTSSL also states that "Qualifications must be comparable to the standard of the New Zealand qualification listed". There was an Internal Administration Circular (IAC) released last year which clarified the meaning of Note 1 "Qualifications must be comparable to the standard of the New Zealand Qualification listed" on the LTSSL. You may view this document here:
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...ifications.pdf

You will see that the levels of qualifications on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF) are explained at paragraph 7. A level 8/9 Masters qualification is not comparable to an NZQF Bachelor degree (level 7) qualification.

Also important to acknowledge is that the occupations and relevant qualifications/work experience on the LTSSL were developed in conjunction with specific industry/sector bodies and contacts. The individual industry/sector advises on the acceptable qualifications/work experience for the occupations in their area on the LTSSL and as such the requirements are driven by industry and the associated bodies in New Zealand.

BEVS Jun 24th 2011 1:07 am

Although this doesn't help you at all , I'm actually quite impressed with the clarity of the NZIS response .

neit Jun 25th 2011 1:19 pm

So basically I would need to get a job offer before they would even pull the
EOI back out of the pool.

neit Jun 28th 2011 9:45 pm

Does anyone think it would be worth while getting the master degree
in computing and information systems assessed by the NZQA to see
if its comparable to the BA in computing.

I asked NZIS and they advised:

It is completely your decision as to whether you decide to have your qualification assessed by NZQA.

If such an assessment did not come back at level 7, you would not be eligible for the bonus points for the reasons outlined in my last email to you, dated Thursday 23 June 2011.

I cannot give you any guidance/advice as to whether, or not, you should have your qualification assessed by NZQA. Please note that these applications are made at your own risk and cost, because they do not always return the desired result. If you decide to proceed with this avenue, please send me evidence of your application and I will be able to continue holding your EOI open before returning it to the pool.

I look forward to hearing from you.

mjacob08 Oct 19th 2011 7:38 pm

Hi Neit,

last week my eoi too returned to pool. When I submitted my eoi I had 150 points after the automatic selection the immigration officer returned the eoi to pool at 105 points. I have Masters of computer application(level 9) as well as Bachelor of computer application(level 7). Still they didn't award me points for my work experience. I wanted to ask NZIS. Did you contacted them through email? If so can I please have their email id so that I can communicate them because I don't see a way to clarify my queries with NZIS.

Thanks,
Matthew

neit Oct 20th 2011 9:30 am

Hi mjacob08

I requested contact through email when I sent my EOI to them.
I was in contact with Immigration Officer that dealt with may EOI and used
their email address which I don't believe I should give out to someone else.

You would be best getting an email address through the IMNZ website and
get them to get in contact with the immigration office dealing with your EOI.

They did award me points for my work experience.
But they did not award me points for the following:

employment in an identified future growth area or area of absolute skills shortage
you must have an offer of skilled employment or current skilled employment in NZ in order to claim the points for qualification and/or work experience in an identified future growth area.

Work experience in an identified future growth area

Recognised work experience in an identified future growth area qualifies for points if:

a. the principal applicant has points for current skilled employment or an offer of skilled employment in an identified future growth area (see SM8.10); and

b. the experience is relevant to that employment (see SM7.10.10).