EOI rejection

Old Sep 29th 2012, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

stevieg_83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EOI rejection

We applied about 6-8 weeks ago under the Skilled Migrant category.

After an initial rejection, we appealed on the basis that we had an EOI accepted in 2009. I'm a web designer/developer which is on the LTSSL. I have a bachelor degree in multimedia systems.

However NZIS are claiming my degree is not in the ICT professional category (despite my job being in that category).

A technical advisor has now ruled that this is the case as well. This was what they told me:

Our Technical Advisor completed a comparability assessment of your qualification, and concluded that your qualification is not comparable to the LTSSL requirement for ICT Professional.
So we're stuck at the 130 mark overall for points. We have a trip to NZ in November so hoping to speak to some prospective employers when I'm there but looking for any other advice on whether there's anything else to try.

Thanks,
Steven
Old Sep 30th 2012, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all
Default Re: EOI rejection

Hi Steven

How frustrating for you, why have they changed the goalposts since 2009?

Sounds like a job offer is your best bet as well as your visit in November, I would send speculative applications to as many possible employers as possible before you go. Don't just applied for advertised positions. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

It worked for us, but albeit in a different industry.

Good luck
HeatherGirl
Old Sep 30th 2012, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

stevieg_83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Who knows. I'm in the process of trying to find a comparable degree as well. I need more info on where we're falling down. I won't accept the decision without reasoning.

I'm kind of limited in that we're looking to move to Tauranga as my parents and sisters are there and there doesn't seem to be too many agencies there, mainly small independents like myself.

Regardless, sending things off in hope.

Thanks,
Steven
Old Oct 1st 2012, 12:42 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I think NZIS have narrowed what they will and won't accept for a variety of occupations. For instance, it is now possible to be over-qualified for an occupation.

You may need to consider other areas of NZ to get you in and working. After hopefully gaining PR you would then be free to move to Tauranga.

When you say you are looking at a comparable degree, do you mean you are searching via NZQA to assess where your degree units differ from the degree units set out by NZIS
Old Oct 1st 2012, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely look at other areas, my brothers live in Upper Hutt, but my husbands job offer was in Tokoroa. At the end of the day who cares, it gets us in, and theres always 'grabaseat' which is cheap and quick and you're a lot closer once in NZ to your family than the UK.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

afmamoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stevieg_83
We applied about 6-8 weeks ago under the Skilled Migrant category.

After an initial rejection, we appealed on the basis that we had an EOI accepted in 2009. I'm a web designer/developer which is on the LTSSL. I have a bachelor degree in multimedia systems.

However NZIS are claiming my degree is not in the ICT professional category (despite my job being in that category).

A technical advisor has now ruled that this is the case as well. This was what they told me:

So we're stuck at the 130 mark overall for points. We have a trip to NZ in November so hoping to speak to some prospective employers when I'm there but looking for any other advice on whether there's anything else to try.

Thanks,
Steven
Hi Steven,

In order to claim bonus points for your qualification being in an area of absolute skills shortage, you need to prove your qualification to be a "Bachelor degree (Level 7) specializing in Information Technology (Computer Science, Information Systems or other Information Technology) OR Bachelor degree (Level 7) specializing in Electrical and Electronic Engineering and Technology AND three years of relevant work experience.". So can you please share the name of your degree and did you get the International Qualification Assessment from NZQA?

Regards,

Fraz
Old Oct 8th 2012, 3:33 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

agree with afmamoon the degree to count with the maximum points has to be relevant to the role your applying for so would have to be in IT and from a recognised University.

My husband had a degree but not in his profession so could only get the lower amount of points for a degree from a recognised University, which unfortunately only got his points to 120. He was then lucky enough to gain a job offer so took us over the 140.