British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   EOI Questions? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/eoi-questions-761175/)

sparkywater Jun 9th 2012 7:04 pm

EOI Questions?

Nearly finished our on line EOI the main applicant is my wife who is a nurse. I am more than a little bit confused on a couple of areas. As a secondary applicant proving my English language ability do I have to sit the IELTS? At the moment I have ticked other and said that I have been a Police officer for over 20 years. Dont know if they will except this.
Secondly as my job appears on the list of skilled occupations can I claim the bonus points under recognized qualifications.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

skends Jun 9th 2012 8:36 pm

Re: EOI Questions?

hi, apparently if your first language is english you dont have to sit the ielts - you just state that you were born and raised in the uk - thats what we did, not sure about the other bit though.

simonsi Jun 9th 2012 8:57 pm

Specify born, raised and educated in English and it will be fine, just stating your job (!) possibly wont.

If your job is on the Long Term Skills Shortage List AND you fulfill completely the notes in the 4th column then you can claim the bonus points.

James Baker Jun 15th 2012 10:38 am

I am in a similar position in that my partner is a nurse but I had to provide my qualification transcript as evidence of EL proficiency as I was born in Hong Kong (despite English being my first langauge and living and working here most of my life).

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/index.htm see:

SM17.5 Bonus points for a partner's recognised qualifications

James Baker Jun 15th 2012 11:10 am

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 10109817)
Specify born, raised and educated in English and it will be fine, just stating your job (!) possibly wont.

If your job is on the Long Term Skills Shortage List AND you fulfill completely the notes in the 4th column then you can claim the bonus points.

Not sure this is entirely correct, I think only principle applicant qualifies for bonus points for qualifications where a job offer is on the LTSSL and meets column 4 criteria. If a partner is included in application then you can claim bonus points for their qualifications yes but not on the basis of whether their occupation is included the LTSSL, otherwise it would be bonus points for the bonus points if you see what I mean?!

Persephone Jun 15th 2012 11:43 am

Regarding your English language requirements: do as Simonsi says rather than just state you were in the police for 20years. You may be ok but adding more info is not going to do any harm.

Secondly as my job appears on the list of skilled occupations can I claim the bonus points under recognized qualifications.
Your current job and bonus points for qualifications are separate.
Do you have a recognised qualification? This is different to your job;)
If you have a recognised qualification [which may not be related to your job in the police] or you have a qualification that needs assessment [and you get it assessed];then yes your wife as principal candidate can claim either 10 or 20 points for your qualification.

I am assuming you do not have a job offer in place since you haven't mentioned one....

sparkywater Jun 15th 2012 4:09 pm

Thanks every one its all a bit clearer now.

simonsi Jun 16th 2012 7:10 am

Originally Posted by James Baker (Post 10120552)
Not sure this is entirely correct, I think only principle applicant qualifies for bonus points for qualifications where a job offer is on the LTSSL and meets column 4 criteria. If a partner is included in application then you can claim bonus points for their qualifications yes but not on the basis of whether their occupation is included the LTSSL, otherwise it would be bonus points for the bonus points if you see what I mean?!

Yep good catch, think primary applicant only.