EOI question... in a panic!

Old Apr 17th 2013, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

netts03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EOI question... in a panic!

Hi,

I was in the middle of completing our EOI confident on our 160 points without a job offer when I started to read the small print, ah..... We had planned on claiming 10 points for a "Qualification in an absolute shortage area" and a further 15 points for "additional bonus points for work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage.." But there in the small print it states "you have skilled employment in New Zealand...". This would reduce our points to 135.

Is this correct? And if so can you still claim for the 15 points for work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage without a job offer?

In the worse case should we still apply with 135 points? Naturally my husband (main applicant) is looking for a job already. We had hoped that submitting the EOI and would show any potential employers how keen he was to work in NZ etc...

Feel utterly gutted, got that horrible sinking feeling that we are down to 135 points. So close to 140 points, ah.....
Old Apr 17th 2013, 3:45 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EOI question... in a panic!

You do not need a job offer to claim those bonus points.

However, I thought you'd said in a previous post that your husband's job comes under the ISSL only.

You can only claim points for a qualification and work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage if they qualify under the LTSSL. The ISSL has nothing to do with SMC applications. I'm sure that I wrote that down unless I'm thinking of someone else...

Sorry

Have you looked at the history of selection points on the NZIS website? That shows you what has been selected at each draw and gives you an idea of how likely you are to be selected.
You may need a job offer in place. However if his job is on the ISSL then getting a work visa to tide you over until residency comes through will be easy [should the employer want him to start quickly]