EOI Points??

Old Jun 3rd 2010, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Little-miss-80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EOI Points??

Hello all,

I am returning to my 'down under' search but with a new destination in mind.

I researched immigration once before in the hope to move to Melbourne Australia but thanks to the removal of the MODL list it is no longer possible so I am back at the start and now looking at New Zealand

I have been looking at the points system and think we could just manage to get the 140 points needed for the EOI but some points are confusing me... This is not hard!!

My job is on the 'Skills we need' list - Secondary school teacher (241411)

I teach ICT and I took the PGCE route NOT the GTP but I can't see if/where I can get any bonus points for this??

I am also confused on my partners points:
'Would your partner have the required English proficiency to qualify as a principal applicant?'
and
'Does your partner have a recognised basic qualification?'

Does being a UK citizen give us 'Yes' to the first or is that if he takes and passes a test? and does being a refrigeration engineer (Skill Level 2 - Part B) give us a 'Yes' for the second? - Air-conditioning and Refrigeration Mechanic (342111)

Thanks for reading

Last edited by Little-miss-80; Jun 3rd 2010 at 6:13 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 11:40 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EOI Points??

Hello,
Firstly you only need 100 points to submit an EOI, those over 140 will be automatically selected at each fortnightly draw but those with <140 do have a chance especially if your occupation is on the long term skills shortage list and you have enough work experience.
Have a look at recent selections: History of selection points
The levels do vary but in general the more points you have the better. Can you claim any bonus points for work experience in an area of skills shortage?
Being a little pedantic here but there isn't a 'skills we need' list. There are two lists of skills shortages-the immediate and long term lists, both different and they refer to different visa types. For residency only the long term skills shortage list is relevant.

As for your partner, if he was born in the UK then he should not have to take the IELTS test, you tick the box that states that both of you meet the standard required and then explain how- eg lived in the UK all your lives, parents are native English speakers, education etc. I can't help with his quals , someone else may come along and help you there. Is his qual on the following list? If so then you answer yes and do not need to get it assessed by NZQA. If it isn't and you want to gain points for his quals then you would need to get it assessed first- again I've no experience of dealing with NZQA so hopefully someone else will help
Recognised qualifications
Same applies to your quals, there are some teachers on here who may be able to help with that side of things. I'm afraid I know very little about teaching qualifications

Hope this helps! Also read through the main forum to get an idea of life in NZ as it is different to Aus
Old Jun 4th 2010, 9:12 am
Just Joined

Little-miss-80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: EOI Points??

Thank you for the reply

At the minute I am just collecting (by reading the forums here and the NZ immi/teaching sites) all the information I can before deciding/starting the process