EOI or nurse registration first?

Old Jul 21st 2014, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

bumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of light
Default EOI or nurse registration first?

Evening,
I am just starting to organise my families immigration to new Zealand (my pets have their rabies vaccinations next week!)
I was wondering, should I complete my EOI first or get my nurse qualifications registered with the new Zealand nurse council first?
I am a registered mental health muse and my skills are on the long term list.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my question and I hope to hear any advice!
X
Old Jul 21st 2014, 7:53 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EOI or nurse registration first?

hopefully one of the nurses will come along and give you a time scale on the Registration process. from reading previous threads I believe you will need to pass the IELTS and gain the correct results, I remember from some threads that people have had to sit these tests a number of times to get the required mark.
have you looked into the test?
also I believe you have to have been working as a qualified nurse for 2yrs before you can apply (I may be wrong on the mental health nurse requiring this but do know it was a change made to the nursing category a while back)

as I said hopefully one of the nursing will be along shortly to give you information
Old Jul 21st 2014, 8:01 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome!

It will depend on how long registration will take. Do you have a job offer?
Also how many points do you have on the EOI? You can fill in the EOI and save it so it's something you can do in bits as and when.

If you are selected you will be sent an ITA at some point [timing varies] and you have 4 months to return that with all the documents which will include proof of registration. So how long registering takes will be a major factor in when to do what.
I believe you also have to sit an IELTS test for your nursing reg but there are plenty of nurses on here who can give you more info on that.

I have had a look at the Skills Shortage lists and registered nurse [mental health] is on the Immediate SSL only and not the LTSSL. This means you cannot claim bonus points for work experience or a qualification in an area of absolute shortage. Do you have enough points without those?
P
Old Jul 21st 2014, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

sghall is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi hope this will help!

I have been applying for my nursing registration for NZ to emigrate over. I sat my ILETS in December, passed first time thankfully so didn't need to waste any time sitting it again. I submitted my application to NZ nursing council beginning of the year and its still not approved yet. The first part of the process is quick but its the second stage that takes the longest as you need police check and transcripts to be sent over to NZ from your university and the NMC which is outwith your control.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

bumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of light

Many thanks for ask your replies and advice.
I have ten years experience all specific to dementia care. Does anyone know if this would come under the aged care registered nurse?

I am sorry for being slow on the uptake!
Kind regards
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Defintely get registration first, this will save you ALL KINDS of headaches with verification of qualifications and also speed in being able to actually emigrate quickly as you will be able to hit the ground and work.

The IELTS is fairly simple for native speakers IF you prepare and respect the test. Get hold of a couple of sample papers and have a read up on what will be expected of you, it's nothing complicated as it's testing your ability to speak a language you know inside and out, it's just learning what hoops the test expects you to pass. (I got all 9s this way first time)

As others have said (I am an RMN too) we're only on the intermediate list but I found that I easily passed the points threshold for automatic selection even with my meagre 2 years experience. I can't help you with the Aged Care question, best to check out the degree and registration requirements specified in the LTSSL and see if you match, or ring INZ and ask them, they've been very helpful every time I have rung with a query.

Registration can take quite a long time. Mine was about 6 months from when I seriously got going to when I actually got the certificate though I'd been working on it for about a year before that. Mostly it's juggling different forms and chasing up paperwork and people who are not as keen to move as quickly as you. There is a tonne of work out here, particularly in Chch for mental health.

One last thing, have a think about getting a temporary essential skills work visa to get yourself out here and working once registered. I got a 3 year one no probs and it's given me time and space to decide if I wanted to go for residency and get organised to do that from NZ with a job already (so more points)
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

that's great, thank you so much for all that information!
i think i may look into a temporary visa rather than a residence visa.
May I ask, direct you also get your qualifications recognized by new Zealand as well as your nursing registration registered with the nz nursing council?
many thanks
x
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Damn my fat fingers, i mean did not direct!
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

As far as INZ are concerned if the NZNC register you then your qualification is considered to be verified (as by registering you they acknowledge you are trained to the same standards as NZ nurses). I asked an immigration officer this myself the other day So by doing the registration first you don't have to get your qualifications verified by INZ AND the NZNC, you just have to do it once.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Thank you, that should save me a bob or two.
Are you in new Zealand yourself?
X
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 3:59 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind that you need a job offer in order to apply for a temporary work visa. You can't just apply for one
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Persephone I don't think I had made that clear.

Yes I am in NZ, I was 29 when I came out so I came on a working holiday visa, got a work visa when I got a job I wanted to stay in and now am about to apply for my residency. Overall it's probably cost me a little more as I've not just gone for one visa but I feel more secure that this is the right choice.

You can apply off your own bat for jobs direct to the DHBs if you want to (that's how I got my second job) but you can also use an agency if you wish. I had a good experience with my agency but at the end of the day it comes down to how much individual control you want. The good thing with agencies is they can often get you interviews when you're outside NZ more easily than perhaps you could yourself.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you. Are you able to say which agency you used?
I am hoping to locate in Waikato region as that is where my family is.
Kind regards
X
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Yup I used Tonix and found them very helpful and professional. However (BBC voice on) there are other available agencies who may suit you better.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

thank you, i have got in touch with them and waiting to hear back.
wish me luck!
x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.