EOI for MCSE

Old Aug 12th 2007, 11:31 am
Just Joined

Cowtipper is on a distinguished road
Default EOI for MCSE

Hi Guys
I am just starting the EOI process.
When i did the quick EOI I got 150 Points I have just finished the full EOI and have only got 70 points the reason being is my MCSE is not on the list.

I looked on http://www.itanz.org.nz/default.asp?Screen=GeneralInfo
and i get 10 points.

I am confused do I have to send off to http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/ and get this assessed or is that the end of my application??

THE COW >:O)
Old Aug 12th 2007, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: EOI for MCSE

Please excuse my ignorance but what is MCSE?

Alison
Old Aug 12th 2007, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

johnnz is a name known to alljohnnz is a name known to alljohnnz is a name known to alljohnnz is a name known to alljohnnz is a name known to alljohnnz is a name known to alljohnnz is a name known to alljohnnz is a name known to alljohnnz is a name known to alljohnnz is a name known to alljohnnz is a name known to all

Hi,I also have Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer qualification but I dont know if it counts for much.They seem to want the old fashioned out of date HNC in Computing qualification.I know that in Australia it is recognised but not sure about NZ.Maybe need to have it verified by NZQA??
Old Aug 12th 2007, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

My Apologies
Its stand for Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer.
Its the main recognised Industry based Qualification in the uk for IT server bods.

Thanks for the response Johnnz as you say the HNC is somewhat out of date if they are as they say 100k peeps short in the IT market then perhap they could do with updating there skills matrix as I am about to train as an MCT (MS Certified trainer) but even that is not recognised.

I think I will have to investigate the NZQA assessment route.

Last edited by Cowtipper; Aug 12th 2007 at 6:04 pm. Reason: Added text
Old Aug 12th 2007, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

Hi Guys
After more digging the www.nzqa.govt.nz offer the MCSE as a accreditation via ACE training in Auckland and classify it as a level 5 which equates to 60 points I have mailed them for clarification I will update when I get a response back.

Old Aug 12th 2007, 9:03 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Without becoming an instructor, I've gone as far as I can with certifications for Lotus in app dev. Those aren't recognised either. I don't have a B.Sc. in Computer Sciences so my degree is discounted, too. Only thing that counts is 8+ years' experience.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 11:00 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

When we applied the NZQA said they wouldn't recognise IT qualifications such as MCSE as there were "too many to keep up with" or some similar bollox.

It is a very useful thing to have here to get you to the interview stage though.

My points came from my IT related degree and 10 years' industry experience.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Hi Guys

I have been in the industry for the Last 11 years this only counts for 40 points overall leaving us with only 90 points in total.

The MCSE is not listed as an MCSE on the NZQA site it is listed as A certificate of Systems Engineer.

I have received a response from them this morning asking me to get the MCSE assessed to which I have pointed out that they already have it listed under said title.

Old Aug 13th 2007, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Ok just received another mail.

which states if you have undertaken your MCSE training in new zealand then it is recognized as a comparable qualification (level 5) if undertaken internationally then it is only awarded 10 points.:curse:

which still only gives us 100 points total. For a country that has 100k IT peeps short of there target they are a little archaic in there recognition of industry recognized qualifications.

I suppose the only option I have left is getting a job offer.

My parting question to you guys is:
I have been offered several jobs in Canada which is my wife's preference and I have aced the points sytem on my experience alone. So is new Zealand really worth all this hassle?????

Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

So is new Zealand really worth all this hassle?????

THE COW >:O)[/QUOTE]

That is something only you can decide! For us it is.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:28 am
Just Joined

I was trying to get more of an objective opinion from peeps who have possibly gone through the same levels of frustration I am currently experiencing.

I am currently self employed and have no prolonged business commitments we have already sold our house so we are 100% liquid and primed for emigration but I am looking to base myself in a country that I can become part of there society\culture and leave behind the too frequent UK attitude of the world ows me a living.

So I am trying to play devil's advocate here. New Zealand is my preference.
but when presented with the option of walking into several other countries without any stress\aggrevation you do start to question the validity of the benefits as currently the thought of investing my cash\expertise in a country that seems to revel in double negatives is seeming a little insipid.

Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Cowtipper
I was trying to get more of an objective opinion from peeps who have possibly gone through the same levels of frustration I am currently experiencing.

I am currently self employed and have no prolonged business commitments we have already sold our house so we are 100% liquid and primed for emigration but I am looking to base myself in a country that I can become part of there society\culture and leave behind the too frequent UK attitude of the world ows me a living.

So I am trying to play devil's advocate here. New Zealand is my preference.
but when presented with the option of walking into several other countries without any stress\aggrevation you do start to question the validity of the benefits as currently the thought of investing my cash\expertise in a country that seems to revel in double negatives is seeming a little insipid.

You can complete a level 5 Msce based course in NZ 13 weeks for a certificate. 50 points.
The job front in IT they want you to have all the bells and whistles for not a lot of NZD especially if you are dependent on them for a work visa.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 3:43 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Put simply:

A B.Sc. in Computer Sciences will help you with points, but unlikely with actually securing that job offer.

The opposite is true of IT certifications.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 6:47 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cowtipper
Ok just received another mail.

which states if you have undertaken your MCSE training in new zealand then it is recognized as a comparable qualification (level 5) if undertaken internationally then it is only awarded 10 points.:curse:
Because Windows is different in New Zealand:?