British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   EOI, how long before I know? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/eoi-how-long-before-i-know-411737/)

sean n Dec 4th 2006 1:02 pm

EOI, how long before I know?

Hi All
Just discovered this forum and its mega helpful. Thanks for all I have learnt already.

I have submitted my EOI, 120 points. Next draw is Wednesday.

How quickly will they let me know if I have been selected or not?

Also I have claimed skilled migrant qualification and work experience, in an area of skills shortage. I have claimed as a qualified motor vehicle mechanic with over 6 years work experience, however I havent worked in that industry for over 12 years. Does this still count does any one know?

Thanks Sean

Amber and Chris Dec 4th 2006 1:50 pm

EOI info and NZQA assessment

Here's what I've discovered on EOIs.

It seems that work experience in the skills shortage areas counts for points no matter when it was or if you are still in the field. _Qualifications_ in those areas do not count unless you have a job offer in the area of skills shortage.

From a conversation with a very helpful immigration officer on whether it's worth submitting mine or not, it appears that if you have points from work experience in skills shortage areas, you are in a better position than someone with more points but without skills shortage work experience. eg if you have 120 points with work experience in skills shortage, you're better off than someone with 130 points but without the w/e in s/s.

You may have checked this out already, but if not, the link

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...et20061122.pdf

gives you a quite detailed breakdown of how many EOIs were submitted and accepted from the different points levels over the year (scroll down for the table). It tells you how many were left in the pool as it rolls over each month.

The following does not apply to you but I include it in case anyone else is interested and might find it helpful. Teachers, your PGCE only counts if you already have a job offer in a school. If (like me) you have a PGCE but (like me and like Sean) you don't work in the field these days, although it is a post-grad qualification it is not worth any points. I thought my points score might go up with a post-grad qual, and was dumb enough to have it assessed by NZQA. The PGCE is only considered Level 7 so it is no better than a BA for points. Maybe everyone else is cleverer than me and figured that out in advance, but just in case...!

Seems that for me it's safer to wait till I've been married long enough and submit as a spouse. Very depressing to feel so worthless on my own terms
:( !

Hope you are successful.

Originally Posted by sean n
Hi All
Just discovered this forum and its mega helpful. Thanks for all I have learnt already.

Also I have claimed skilled migrant qualification and work experience, in an area of skills shortage. I have claimed as a qualified motor vehicle mechanic with over 6 years work experience, however I havent worked in that industry for over 12 years. Does this still count does any one know?

Thanks Sean

sean n Dec 4th 2006 7:42 pm

Re: EOI info and NZQA assessment

Originally Posted by Amber and Chris
Here's what I've discovered on EOIs.

It seems that work experience in the skills shortage areas counts for points no matter when it was or if you are still in the field. _Qualifications_ in those areas do not count unless you have a job offer in the area of skills shortage.

From a conversation with a very helpful immigration officer on whether it's worth submitting mine or not, it appears that if you have points from work experience in skills shortage areas, you are in a better position than someone with more points but without skills shortage work experience. eg if you have 120 points with work experience in skills shortage, you're better off than someone with 130 points but without the w/e in s/s.

You may have checked this out already, but if not, the link

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...et20061122.pdf

gives you a quite detailed breakdown of how many EOIs were submitted and accepted from the different points levels over the year (scroll down for the table). It tells you how many were left in the pool as it rolls over each month.

The following does not apply to you but I include it in case anyone else is interested and might find it helpful. Teachers, your PGCE only counts if you already have a job offer in a school. If (like me) you have a PGCE but (like me and like Sean) you don't work in the field these days, although it is a post-grad qualification it is not worth any points. I thought my points score might go up with a post-grad qual, and was dumb enough to have it assessed by NZQA. The PGCE is only considered Level 7 so it is no better than a BA for points. Maybe everyone else is cleverer than me and figured that out in advance, but just in case...!

Seems that for me it's safer to wait till I've been married long enough and submit as a spouse. Very depressing to feel so worthless on my own terms
:( !

Hope you are successful.

Thanks for the info. Not sure if I do have 120 points now as I dont have a job offer relevant to my engineering qualifications so I guess they wont count???

Oh well guess I will have to wait and see.

nickcharliepark Dec 4th 2006 7:46 pm

Thanks for the info. Not sure if I do have 120 points now as I dont have a job offer relevant to my engineering qualifications so I guess they wont count???

Oh well guess I will have to wait and see.

Hi

You will find out within a couple of days if your EOI has been selected. Have a look at my time line. We submitted an EOI without a job offer, but we had experience in skilled shortage area. We both secured jobs between selection from EOI process and awaiting verification. So from then on things were prioritised.

Good luck, it is so exciting.

Nick

helinuk Dec 4th 2006 9:58 pm

We submitted our EOI 10th August and were selected 16thAug- then had a 3 month wait to be sent ITA, we had 110 points using hubbys degree and work experience. HTH

Amber and Chris Dec 7th 2006 2:41 pm

Re: EOI, how long before I know?

Have ya heard yet? have ya have ya????

I did an eleventh hour turnaround based on people's responses that 110 points with shortage area work experience might not be outside the realms of possibility after all, and submitted mine at the last minute. So you all are to blame when it gets rejected... ;)

tick tick tick...I suppose it is the weekend in NZ now so back to watching the clock...

Hi All

Thanks Sean

sean n Dec 7th 2006 2:51 pm

Have ya heard yet? have ya have ya????

I did an eleventh hour turnaround based on people's responses that 110 points with shortage area work experience might not be outside the realms of possibility after all, and submitted mine at the last minute. So you all are to blame when it gets rejected... ;)

tick tick tick...I suppose it is the weekend in NZ now so back to watching the clock...

Yeh!!!! Got selected!!!! :D
Just got to wait now for the ITA I guess. Got a possible job offer in the pipe line to, should get a phone interview in the next couple of weeks all being well. best get a move on and finish the DIY on the house so we can get it on the market after Christmas.

Thanks for all the help you guys have given me so far in the short time I have been on the forum. I am sure i will be asking many more stupid questions along the way.

andy&georgina Dec 7th 2006 3:23 pm

Just got to wait now for the ITA I guess. Got a possible job offer in the pipe line to, should get a phone interview in the next couple of weeks all being well. best get a move on and finish the DIY on the house so we can get it on the market after Christmas.

Thanks for all the help you guys have given me so far in the short time I have been on the forum. I am sure i will be asking many more stupid questions along the way.

EXCELLENT - CONGRATS - WELL DONE Sean :) :) :) :beer:

Maz Dec 7th 2006 3:58 pm

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Many congratulations Sean! :beer:

Amber and Chris Dec 7th 2006 4:43 pm

:eek: I guess this means I'm not worthy after all. :( :( :( Cambridge University, schmambridge schmuniversity; teacher schmeacher; work experience schmork schmexperience etc etc...

but congratulations.

off to lick my wounds.

Originally Posted by Maz
WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Many congratulations Sean! :beer:

Perdana Dec 7th 2006 8:08 pm

Well done, now just be warned that you will be checking the website every morning to see if you have an ITA, 2 weeks since selection, I am getting a bit obsessed!! We are also desperatley DIYing! everything gets the "would we ship this 12000 miles?" as we sort out.
All the best :)

sean n Dec 7th 2006 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Perdana
Well done, now just be warned that you will be checking the website every morning to see if you have an ITA, 2 weeks since selection, I am getting a bit obsessed!! We are also desperatley DIYing! everything gets the "would we ship this 12000 miles?" as we sort out.
All the best :)

Doing the boot sale, ebay or take with us questions already. Thanks everyone for you comments. I hope the expat scene in NZ is as good as the virtual one on here! :)

Amber and Chris Dec 7th 2006 10:54 pm

So come clean folks...how many people with only 110 points and 6 years' w/e in a shortage area ACTUALLY got selected when they submitted? It is just me out in pariah-land? (not far, I hear, from Loolah-ville). Did I just totally waste my application?

Very bummed out. Anything positive for me? Or am I destined never to do the emigration-boot-sale booty shake?

Doing the boot sale, ebay or take with us questions already. Thanks everyone for you comments. I hope the expat scene in NZ is as good as the virtual one on here! :)

danny.f Dec 7th 2006 11:04 pm

Hi All

Thanks Sean

Mate,it should be within now of Wednesday,it's quick. Good luck,but remember,it's only half way there. Hope you make it cos I'm bollocks with cars.

SirEglamore Dec 8th 2006 9:02 am

So come clean folks...how many people with only 110 points and 6 years' w/e in a shortage area ACTUALLY got selected when they submitted? It is just me out in pariah-land? (not far, I hear, from Loolah-ville). Did I just totally waste my application?

Very bummed out. Anything positive for me? Or am I destined never to do the emigration-boot-sale booty shake?

Was that your first pool dipping, dont forget your app. is in there for 6 months, just maybe got more folk with more points than you at the mo. Hang in there