British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   EOI Help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/eoi-help-530091/)

Tellyaddict Apr 17th 2008 8:01 pm

EOI Help

Hi

Can anyone help me please? I am trying to do a points checker on the Immigration website and I am totally confused.

My husband is a certified Class 2 Welder and we are trying to find out if this is a recognised basic qualification in New Zealand. I have phoned the Kiwi Qualification people but the will not tell me unless I pay $450!!

I think the position is on the Long Term list as a Fitter Welder but if anyone can confirm this I would be really grateful.

If the above are recognised we get 100 points and can submit our EOI - hurray - if not - it's back to the drawing board!!

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Nikky

happynz Apr 17th 2008 8:20 pm

Re: EOI Help

Hello Nikky,

Look here to see how you rate as far as skill levels go. I think for a welder you would need to be at a New Zealand level 4.
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]+Workers

BevsHere is our trades guru and hopefully she'll be along to help you out.

Just to add on, 100 points will qualify you for selection (barely), but a job offer would help out tremendously.

Tellyaddict Apr 17th 2008 8:47 pm

Hi HappyNz

Thank you for replying.

I have looked at the link and I think with his trade certificate and 18 years experience that he would be classed as Skill Level 3. I have emailed the 'Contact Us' address on the site and asked them if they can provide any information.

If he is Skill Level 3 do you know if this is classed as a recognised basic qualification for immigration purposes.

Regarding the job - we seem to be in a catch 22 situation along with everyone else - no visa no job - no job no visa. We are hoping to hear from 3 companies that we spent time with at the Leeds Expo as they were looking for welders and seemed interested in my husband. We really just want to get started so that if they do contact us with a possible job offer we can tell them that we have begun the process and this will hopefully show that we are serious.

Regards
Nikky

happynz Apr 17th 2008 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by NiknAid (Post 6225001)
We really just want to get started so that if they do contact us with a possible job offer we can tell them that we have begun the process and this will hopefully show that we are serious.

Regards
Nikky

Good luck with it all.

Marjol Apr 17th 2008 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by NiknAid (Post 6224705)
Hi

Can anyone help me please? I am trying to do a points checker on the Immigration website and I am totally confused.

My husband is a certified Class 2 Welder and we are trying to find out if this is a recognised basic qualification in New Zealand. I have phoned the Kiwi Qualification people but the will not tell me unless I pay $450!!

I think the position is on the Long Term list as a Fitter Welder but if anyone can confirm this I would be really grateful.

If the above are recognised we get 100 points and can submit our EOI - hurray - if not - it's back to the drawing board!!

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Nikky

Hello.
I have submitted my EOI and had it selected but managed to scrape 130 points with a bit of jiggery pokery. I have claimed points for qualifications in welding NZ level 3 (uk level 2) had NZQA full assessment on them. Like you say NZQA want money and can't talk welding on the phone as they haven't got a clue. I was trying to find out if I got a coding would it make a difference but they don't understand that either.
Anyway moving on, if you look at NZIS website and sign up to fill in the online EOI when it comes to qualifications you can claim level 3 in certain trade certificates, which is what I have done. Also with the new ANZSCO system you can claim for experience in the LTSSL. Again that is what I have done. If you can prove Heavy Metalwelding (Structural) etc. Have a look at the ANZSCO website, you want to find Major Group 3 Technicians and Trades Workers.
Having spoken many times with NZIS about welding quals it seems to be a very broad spectrum, which is why I went for it. I was never a welder/fitter but I have heavy welding experience and my former employer is providing written and photographic proof for me when the ITA arrives.

So in summary, try and claim the quals points, but they will need full NZQA assessment and also claim LTSSL points as a Fitter/Welder (15 points by the way)

Hope this makes sense and helps a bit

Martin

BEVS Apr 17th 2008 10:39 pm

Hi and welcome to the NZ forum.

Welding

1] Exactly what qualifications and training does your husband have.
i.e. NVQ3 + 3 years on the tools training/apprenticeship. C&G advanced etc.

I note he has 18 years work experience.

2] Which of these most fits your husbands occupation:-

STRUCTURAL STEEL AND WELDING TRADES WORKERS cut, shape, join and repair metal components of iron and steel structures, boilers, pressure vessels and pipes, ships and other vessels.

322311 Metal Fabricator
322312 Pressure Welder
322313 Welder (NZ)

METAL FITTERS AND MACHINISTS fit and assemble fabricated metal parts into products, set up machining tools, production machines and textile machines, and operate machining tools and machines to shape metal stock and castings.

323211 Fitter (General)
323212 Fitter and Turner
323213 Fitter-Welder
323214 Metal Machinist (First Class)
323215 Textile, Clothing and Footwear Mechanic
323299 Metal Fitters and Machinists nec

For any of the above , your husbands qualification, training and work experience should be seen as equal to NZIS register Level 4.

Normally for a UK trade certificate to be seen as an NZ register level 4 , it needs to be at NVQ3 or C&G advanced. They also prefer apprenticeship/on the tools training.
However, in Feb 08 of this year , they changed the rules slightly and now work experience may make up for a lack of or unfinished formal trade training. Quite how they assess this I am not sure. I have had conversations with both NZQA and NZIS and neither were clear on the process for this.

As the trade is welding, New Zealand Immigration Service will require you to have the UK trade qualification assessed by NZQA - New Zealand Qualification Authority.

There are two assessments available:-

Preliminary assessment (please click the blue link) which you can do on-line and is the cheapest.$70. It only evaluate one qualification per assessment

Full assessment for $450 which will take into account all aspects of training , trade certificates .

When making an application to NZIS you will be asked for the NZQA assessment number.

When it comes to the NZIS shortages lists , please note that Fitter Turner and Fitter Welder is on the long term shortages list. I cannot see Structural Welding on either of the shortages lists.

As all welding is seen as skilled, which type of welding will not stop you from making a PR application provided you can prove the skill level. All it means is that one type of welding will gain you extra points for being on the shortage lists, and one won't.

When it comes to obtaining a job offer, it will be up to you to educate the NZ employer. Many simply do not understand that it is job offer first and then NZ immigration issue a work visa for the job. You may well have to spell it out. Tell 'em that you are applying to emigrate permanently but are happy to come over soon as possible by way of a temporary work visa to get you started in the job. Of course you have to factor any house sale etc into this.

Having 100 points would allow you to submit an EOI into the pool. With 140 you would get an automatic selection from the pool.

Tellyaddict Apr 18th 2008 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Marjol (Post 6225321)
Hello.
I have submitted my EOI and had it selected but managed to scrape 130 points with a bit of jiggery pokery. I have claimed points for qualifications in welding NZ level 3 (uk level 2) had NZQA full assessment on them. Like you say NZQA want money and can't talk welding on the phone as they haven't got a clue. I was trying to find out if I got a coding would it make a difference but they don't understand that either.
Anyway moving on, if you look at NZIS website and sign up to fill in the online EOI when it comes to qualifications you can claim level 3 in certain trade certificates, which is what I have done. Also with the new ANZSCO system you can claim for experience in the LTSSL. Again that is what I have done. If you can prove Heavy Metalwelding (Structural) etc. Have a look at the ANZSCO website, you want to find Major Group 3 Technicians and Trades Workers.
Having spoken many times with NZIS about welding quals it seems to be a very broad spectrum, which is why I went for it. I was never a welder/fitter but I have heavy welding experience and my former employer is providing written and photographic proof for me when the ITA arrives.

So in summary, try and claim the quals points, but they will need full NZQA assessment and also claim LTSSL points as a Fitter/Welder (15 points by the way)

Hope this makes sense and helps a bit

Martin

Hi Martin

Thanks for all your help - it has given me some hope.

I don't mind paying for the assessment if I need the assessment number and it is cheaper than an agent which was my next port of call.

Good luck with your ITA - where in New Zealand are you heading?

Regards
Nikky

Tellyaddict Apr 18th 2008 6:01 am

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 6225578)
Hi and welcome to the NZ forum.

Welding

1] Exactly what qualifications and training does your husband have.
i.e. NVQ3 + 3 years on the tools training/apprenticeship. C&G advanced etc.

I note he has 18 years work experience.

2] Which of these most fits your husbands occupation:-

STRUCTURAL STEEL AND WELDING TRADES WORKERS cut, shape, join and repair metal components of iron and steel structures, boilers, pressure vessels and pipes, ships and other vessels.

322311 Metal Fabricator
322312 Pressure Welder
322313 Welder (NZ)

METAL FITTERS AND MACHINISTS fit and assemble fabricated metal parts into products, set up machining tools, production machines and textile machines, and operate machining tools and machines to shape metal stock and castings.

323211 Fitter (General)
323212 Fitter and Turner
323213 Fitter-Welder
323214 Metal Machinist (First Class)
323215 Textile, Clothing and Footwear Mechanic
323299 Metal Fitters and Machinists nec

For any of the above , your husbands qualification, training and work experience should be seen as equal to NZIS register Level 4.

Normally for a UK trade certificate to be seen as an NZ register level 4 , it needs to be at NVQ3 or C&G advanced. They also prefer apprenticeship/on the tools training.
However, in Feb 08 of this year , they changed the rules slightly and now work experience may make up for a lack of or unfinished formal trade training. Quite how they assess this I am not sure. I have had conversations with both NZQA and NZIS and neither were clear on the process for this.

As the trade is welding, New Zealand Immigration Service will require you to have the UK trade qualification assessed by NZQA - New Zealand Qualification Authority.

There are two assessments available:-

Preliminary assessment (please click the blue link) which you can do on-line and is the cheapest.$70. It only evaluate one qualification per assessment

Full assessment for $450 which will take into account all aspects of training , trade certificates .

When making an application to NZIS you will be asked for the NZQA assessment number.

When it comes to the NZIS shortages lists , please note that Fitter Turner and Fitter Welder is on the long term shortages list. I cannot see Structural Welding on either of the shortages lists.

As all welding is seen as skilled, which type of welding will not stop you from making a PR application provided you can prove the skill level. All it means is that one type of welding will gain you extra points for being on the shortage lists, and one won't.

When it comes to obtaining a job offer, it will be up to you to educate the NZ employer. Many simply do not understand that it is job offer first and then NZ immigration issue a work visa for the job. You may well have to spell it out. Tell 'em that you are applying to emigrate permanently but are happy to come over soon as possible by way of a temporary work visa to get you started in the job. Of course you have to factor any house sale etc into this.

Having 100 points would allow you to submit an EOI into the pool. With 140 you would get an automatic selection from the pool.

Hi Bevshere

Thank you for all of your help - you have probably saved me thousands of pounds!!!!!

Regards
Nikky

Marjol Apr 18th 2008 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by NiknAid (Post 6226529)
Hi Martin

Thanks for all your help - it has given me some hope.

I don't mind paying for the assessment if I need the assessment number and it is cheaper than an agent which was my next port of call.

Good luck with your ITA - where in New Zealand are you heading?

Regards
Nikky

Hello Nikky

No problem with the help, like people say on this forum"ask the questions and get free replies and advice":thumbup: There is no need for an agent IMHO, all the help I have had on here has meant no agent.
Hope all goes well with your application:thumbsup: and remember to be patient, you will learn that in the fullness of time.
Will land in Glen Eden (auckland) initially but looking to head to BOP or Hamilton area.

Martin and Jo

P.S. Ask HappyNZ about his take on AGENTS. It will make you smile:rofl: