British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   EOI Decision successful (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/eoi-decision-successful-498334/)

sim2point4 Dec 6th 2007 4:53 pm

EOI Decision successful

Quite amazed at how quick everything is going. Lodged EOI online 24th Oct 2007, selected from the pool 7th Nov, just logged on today to find a decision successsful under hubbies status, it goes on to say that he will shortly receive a letter inviting him to lodge an application for residence, and the letter will contain information to help him complete his application for residence. Does this mean that he will get an ITA?
He submitted the EOI with 115 points, and has over 20 years experience working as a plumbing & heating engineer in the UK, and has 4th year advanced plumbing craft City & Guilds. Does this mean that preliminary checks have been done and that he stands a good chance of receiving permanent residence?

sim2point4 Dec 6th 2007 5:00 pm

Re: EOI Decision successful

By the way he has no job offer either.

happynz Dec 6th 2007 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by sim2point4 (Post 5640373)
Quite amazed at how quick everything is going. Lodged EOI online 24th Oct 2007, selected from the pool 7th Nov, just logged on today to find a decision successful under hubbie's status, it goes on to say that he will shortly receive a letter inviting him to lodge an application for residence, and the letter will contain information to help him complete his application for residence. Does this mean that he will get an ITA?
He submitted the EOI with 115 points, and has over 20 years experience working as a plumbing & heating engineer in the UK, and has 4th year advanced plumbing craft City & Guilds. Does this mean that preliminary checks have been done and that he stands a good chance of receiving permanent residence?

Originally Posted by sim2point4 (Post 5640373)
By the way he has no job offer either.

First, congratulations upon being selected from the pool. Yes, you will likely receive the ITA packet ( a mighty tome that is basically a copy of the EOI that you have already submitted). You will now need to get documentation for everything you have claimed along with police clearances and medicals. BEVShere, our resident expert in immigration requirements for plumbers is the person to ask about documentation and professional registration. She's an amazing expert for tradesman relocating to New Zealand.
It looks like you will have a good chance at being offered permanent residency.

Wiz'n'Ton Dec 6th 2007 8:49 pm

Good on ya folks. We're still awaiting a decision on our submitted EOI and every day is torture.

Still, it will all be well worth it if we get residency by early '08.

Why...? :confused:

Cos then we can be true Kiwi's and get all our stuff on 'buy now, pay later' finance deals!!!! :thumbsup:

At the moment we have to actually SAVE to afford stuff - how old fashioned is that? :p

I wish you all the best. NA ain't so bad you know. :)

BEVS Dec 7th 2007 1:18 am

I'm a bit confused. From your posts today, it seems you are also just about to apply for a Canadian work permit.

Re. the New Zealand application :-

Yes. If your EOI has been successful , then you will shortly receive the ITA - Invitation to Apply. This will be a 3 page letter detailing what you must supply by way of proof and evidence plus the multi paged ITA form.
There is a fee plus migrant levy.

You will need to supply

Police Checks

Medicals & XRays.

Proof of partnership - Marriage cert and joint house bills.

Proof of your husbands UK quals by way or original or certified copies of his C&G /Corgi etc.

Proof of relevant work experience. Employment contracts with job description. Tax accounts if self-employed etc

The PGDB - Plumbing Board of New Zealand - assessments of your husbands UK quals. One each for his plumbing and his gas.
These come in the form of a letter [ there will be one for gas and one for plumbing ] which will state that they, the PGDB, have assessed the UK quals as being enough for your husband to be eligible to sit the PGDB registration exams .

Also..... & here is the current puzzling part, NZIS [New Zealand Immigration Service] have just altered the rules to state that any plumbing migrant MUST have PGDB registration in order to be able to claim points for their overseas qualification.

It is not possible to gain PGDB registration until you have sat and passed their registration exams. To be eligible to sit their exams you must have a positive outcome to the PGDB assessment of your UK qualifications.

So , all you will have towards NZ plumbing registration is the letters from the PGDB stating that your UK qualifications have been assessed by them and that they will allow you to sit their registration exams.

That is all you could show NZIS when sending in the ITA. It would be interesting to know if NZIS will accept this. I have been trying to get a definitive answer to this quandary from NZIS but so far I have not been successful. NZIS are stating that registration is a must - but - it is impossible for the plumbing migrant to gain as it stands.
I believe that when push comes to shove, the NZIS will accept the PGDB assessment letters as proof of standard and skill.

There is no such thing as b eing able to get a temporary or provisional plumbing registration prior to sitting the PGDB registration examinations.

If you had a job offer you could apply for a PGDB limited licence which is a licence that is issued to anyone who works within the plumbing trade. i.e. apprentices, labourers & overseas migrant plumbers/gasfitters.
All those that are non-registered must have this licence. It must be counter-signed by the NZ plumbing employer. However, even with this licence, this does not show or prove qualified plumbing skills.
You can only get this licence with a job offer.

If I can just also council you re. new zealand plumbing licenses & sorry if you know all this stuff already.............

You cannot come to New Zealand and be a self-employed plumber or gasfitter.
You will have to work for an employer and until you sit and pass the PGDB registration exams , you will work under a limited licence.
The limited licence means that all your work must be directly supervised and signed off by a Registered or Craftsman plumber/gasfitter.

Once you sit and pass the registration exams, you can then work by yourself on jobs but you still must remain an employee. You will have Registration and can apply for the Registered plumber/gasfitter licence.

You cannot be self-employed until you sit and pass the Craftsman exams. One is for plumbing, one for gasfitting plus a business studies exam. You will then be able to apply for and gain the Craftsman licence.
You may sit the business paper during the year after you pass the Registration Exams
You may sit the Craftsman papers two years following the pass in the Registration exams.
Exams happen June and November of each year.

Once you have passed these, then you can work as self-employed.

I just want to make sure that you understand this when coming to New Zealand.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Canada or New Zealand.

Do come back to me, if anything is unclear.

sim2point4 Dec 10th 2007 10:05 am

Received the ITA package on Friday. Yes I did post a question regarding a work permit also. Hub has had a skilled worker permanent residence application for Canada in for nearly 2 years, we were getting fed up with all the waiting and hub had not secured a job offer to go over quicker but had made some work contacts. So we started looking into our other choice New Zealand. After reading this forum and the NZ immigration site lodged an EOI to see if we had a chance. Didn't expect to get selected from the pool with only 115 points and no job offer, and certainly didn't expect to get an ITA so soon, we were under the impression that with so few points hub would have to have a job offer, which we were going to look into whilst floating in the pool. A few weeks ago hub was offered a job in Canada and the employer has lodged an LMO application and sent us a copy of the form for us to apply for a concurrent work permit application, only problem is that it is in a part of the Canadian province we have chosen that we don't really want to go to. We have spent the entire weekend trying to decide what to do, the work permit in a part of Canada that we don't really want to settle in, or wait the rest of the skilled worker permanent residence time or now send off our NZ application. In the ITA it said that as there is no job offer that they would need to further assess our ability to settle and contribute in NZ, and that if we decide to proceed with an application for residence we should be aware that part of the assessment may include a personal interview with hub and his family. This sounds to me that maybe he will only get a work to residence unless he gets a job offer. We are very impressed with the way NZ handles its immigration applications and hub is obviously very honoured to even be considered. Thanks BevsHere for all your information about plumbing in NZ, it does sound complicated, the ITA asks for current registration with the NZ Plumbers Drainlayers and Gas Fitters Board, and says that he must provide evidence or the application will not be accepted. I think that we will get his qualifications assessed by NZQA and ask them how we will get round the current registration bit. We need to do more research into living in NZ before we make a decision, but realise that we only have 4 months to get the ITA in. BevsHere what is the hourly rate for plumbers and good areas for work, in NZ?