EOI Confusion

Old May 14th 2007, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default EOI Confusion

Last month i got knocked back into the pool having initially been selected because [1] My qualification was only assessed as being at Level 6 and [2] because i didn't have a degree (level 7 qualification) i couldn't claim points for having work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage. Since that knock back (now having 105pts) i can't find any where on the NZ immigration website that states that in order to get pts for work experience you have to have a degree. By the way my profession is in IT. Does any one have any experience or knowledge they could share that would either shed light on the NZ immigration decision or aid me in trying to get back the 10pts i've lost. With them i stand a good chance of getting an ITA. Other wise i have to get a job before i get to NZ.
Old May 15th 2007, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Amber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really nice
Default Re: EOI Confusion

I'd suggest phoning the call centre on the website and asking them. Given what's just happened to me, I think I only have bad news...I was knocked down from 170 to 90 points with 2 degrees and work exp in skills shortage area (teaching). My degrees don't count as they are "not relevant to my job offer" - a literature degree irrelevant to a job in the book industry. My management work experience doesn't count as it is (for some reason) irrelevant to a management job offer. It doesn't constitute "skilled" employment. I don't understand why your w/exp doesn't count unless you are not planning to work in IT over there - eg I can't count my teaching exp. because I don't plan to be teaching.

For a lot of people it seems like the job is the key because it's fifty extra points. Can you find out the trade publications for IT in NZ and advertise your availability? You can say that your visa application has been submitted and would be "expedited to fit the company's needs" - that is, with a job offer, you can quickly apply for a temporary visa to get there.
Old May 15th 2007, 8:00 pm
Baa Baa

KiwiKate will become famous soon enoughKiwiKate will become famous soon enough

We had 110 points, and were selected from the pool within a few months - so even if you can't scrape back the points, you may be alright (unless they've raised the points from 100??)
Old May 15th 2007, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Last month i got knocked back into the pool having initially been selected because [1] My qualification was only assessed as being at Level 6 and [2] because i didn't have a degree (level 7 qualification) i couldn't claim points for having work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage. Since that knock back (now having 105pts) i can't find any where on the NZ immigration website that states that in order to get pts for work experience you have to have a degree. By the way my profession is in IT. Does any one have any experience or knowledge they could share that would either shed light on the NZ immigration decision or aid me in trying to get back the 10pts i've lost. With them i stand a good chance of getting an ITA. Other wise i have to get a job before i get to NZ.
My husband works in IT in Auckland. As he did'nt have recognised qualifications (only microsoft ones) he did'nt have enough points to apply before coming out. He got a job straight away and we put in our EOI in March. We claimed points for skills shortage i think. We got an email within a day of being picked from the pool which stated that as my husband works in IT but in Law firms he cannot claim points for skills shortage unless all the companys he has worked for are IT companies such as IBM. However he has claimed points for his work experience. We we lucky and given 2 weeks to find the extra points to get us to 105. ITA dropped on the mat the following day.
Hope this makes sense. Let me know if we can help further.
Carole