British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   EOI but no bonus points.. is it worth it? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/eoi-but-no-bonus-points-worth-714515/)

NQT2010 Apr 25th 2011 7:39 am

EOI but no bonus points.. is it worth it?

Hi all

We have 125 points, but no bonus points, so I am wondering whether to submit an EOI or not. Looking at recent selections it seems all those selected had some bonus points, so I do not really want to throw money away.

Plan B would be come over as visitors and try and secure work then apply.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Helen

kiwiwtsda Apr 25th 2011 8:58 am

Re: EOI but no bonus points.. is it worth it?

Hi,

I guess it would depend on what type of work you were looking for??

My husband and I came over on the working holiday visa's and we were offered full time work which then lead to our residency, so that route worked for us..
Good luck

:fingerscrossed:

NQT2010 Apr 25th 2011 9:02 am

I'm a primary school teacher, and OH is a web/graphic designer.
We're too old for WHV and have kids so that is not an option for us sadly!

johneastriggs May 8th 2011 2:58 pm

Hi there,

In 2009 1241 people were selected with this criteria but no one was selected in 2010 and none so far 2011 with that scenario!!

Lets hope it changes for you

robbyarg May 13th 2011 12:32 pm

It could be worth a shot. Judging from the current trend it seems that you can best selected in about 5 (10 weeks) or so selections with upto 110 points where you are getting 10 points for work experience and qualification in skills shortage area related to all bonus points.

It doesn't cost too much, around 450NZ to lodge an EOI which can stay there for about 6 months at WORST. If you have the money to do that (which you probably would see as affordable), it's worth submitting and waitiing to see what happens.

125 points is BIG, it all depends on the breakdown of it. If you have a very large work experience your selection chances would be high which is what NZ want, esp in an area that they need.

Hope this helps. If you are serious about moving to NZ, give it a shot. Also note that your points seem high and I am guuessing its down to work experience. So also consider Australia, which is a similar option to NZ where high work experience in a needed area will have a superb chance of migration with good English ability and a positive work experience/qualification assessment.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by NQT2010 (Post 9324429)
Hi all

We have 125 points, but no bonus points, so I am wondering whether to submit an EOI or not. Looking at recent selections it seems all those selected had some bonus points, so I do not really want to throw money away.

Plan B would be come over as visitors and try and secure work then apply.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Helen

Persephone May 14th 2011 12:34 am

I looked through 2011 and 2010s selections and unfortunately there were no selections of 125 without that application having a job offer or points for work experience or a qualification in an area of absolute skills shortage.
I didn't go further back and yes it is possible that the selection categories will get that low but in my opinion it does look unlikely. You could get lucky and it could happen but if not then you would lose the cost of the EOI. Only you can make the decision whether to submit bearing in mind the above.
Getting a job offer first would probably be your best bet.

You can always submit an EOI and then add a job offer to it whilst it's still in the pool or wait and submit with an offer in place.

Robbyarg is correct in that the success of an application with 125pts depends on the breakdown of it. He is incorrect when he says that if you have a lot of work experience your selection chances are high. Your chances are only high if that experience is in an area of absolute skills shortage or it pushes your points total to 140.

NQT2010 May 14th 2011 7:42 am

Thanks for all the replies.

We are going to try going as visitors, and look for work, then go for residency if we are successful, if not then at least we have tried!

Thanks again
:thumbsup:

johneastriggs May 14th 2011 12:02 pm

Hi again,December 2nd 2009 was the last time EOI,s were drawn with no bonus points

"All EOIs between 110 and 135 points where there is no points claim for a job or job offer, work experience in an area of absolute skill shortage or qualification in an area of absolute skill shortage. These were ranked in descending order of points. 69"

Been a while then!!

6Nics May 14th 2011 10:26 pm

is it worth it we went out last year on a full residencey visa could not believe how expensive it is food prices are triple what you would pay in the uk and rental prices are sky high we were on the north shore one of the cheapest unfurnished properties was 500 dollars a week nowt special about it the only things that was cheap was fish and chips and petrol though petrol has now gone up you can only find out so much on the internet were now back in the uk and have money in our pockets again hope this helps kind regards

johneastriggs May 14th 2011 10:57 pm

Yeah not for everyone but check this post Inspiring

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...eferrerid=8572

ellenarosemary May 16th 2011 6:02 pm

Totally agree with the link to this posting, inspiring!!!

With regard to cost of living, there are plenty of places apart from Auckland (which according to NZH is one of the most expensive places in NZ to rent).
Also food can be expensive, but it depends how you shop and how you eat, you can make food shopping really expensive in the UK if you want!!!
Currently applying for some jobs with help from an immigration agency (know not everyone agrees with this), but we found the old addage 'no job no visa, no visa no job' so thought we would try it this way.

Have 3 young children, too old for WHV anyway so agree at least we will have tried. Hopefully will get somewhere with the job applications and be in 'paradise' soon.

Let me know how you get on, would be most interested - good luck.

ellenarosemary May 16th 2011 6:04 pm

ps wouldnt bother applying for EOI with no bonus points, waste of money unless you have bonus points or job offer, with either you would be picked on the next time anyway.

6Nics May 24th 2011 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by johneastriggs (Post 9364645)
Yeah not for everyone but check this post Inspiring

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...eferrerid=8572

Read the thread 'Inspiring' but check the date they emigrated the dollar was well over $3 to the £1 they had no children and only themselves to sort out jobwise, homewise, cost of living wise!! Seeing is believing and after moving out there with 4 young children (ages 13, 9, 6 and 3) and trying to shop for food , clothes, medicines ($14 for a bottle of childrens paracetamol, £10 for a packet of 10 Sanitary pads!!). The GP wanted $48 per adult visit, $32 for my children aged 6 and over (that's 3 of them) and $10 for my youngest, rent for my small 3 bed property with a postage stamp sized back garden was $450 per week, TV is crap therefore Sky is a necessity at $53 per week, mobile phones very expensive and credit is eaten by the second!!

I know what you're saying about where and how you shop, believe me having 4 kids I have to be careful and do shop wisely in the UK, at Aldi, Morrisons, Netto sometimes Lidl and also Asda, we survive by buying most of our food which is on offer, in NZ the place to shop is the 'Pak n Save' however, having shopped there we were buying the bottom shelf 'non-branded' items and paying the equivalent of Marks & Spencer prices!!!!!

I do not consider for example $7.99 per kilo of tomatoes cheap nor $4.50 for a small sprig of brocolli.

The decision to come back to the Uk was not an easy one as this move was supposed to be our dream and a better life for us and our children.

My advice is to visit, take a holiday because the internet is a useful but sometimes misleading tool......houses we looked at from the UK on the net gave the description '10 mins to the nearest town' the nearest town was one shop not overly stocked but expensive all the same, 3 x Cadbury's Twirls = $9!!!! that's £1.50 each.

NZ is a lovely country with some fantastic beaches and beautiful parks, but is a very expensive place to live.

simonsi May 25th 2011 3:11 am

Don't know where you were 6Nics but small-town living is relatively expensive the world over, we find our weekly shop about 10% more than our equivalent shop in the UK at todays rates (at P&S), and that is assuming UK prices haven't risen....

Sky? £48/mth for the basic package....although we don't bother with it.

6Nics May 25th 2011 9:32 am

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 9386068)
Don't know where you were 6Nics but small-town living is relatively expensive the world over, we find our weekly shop about 10% more than our equivalent shop in the UK at todays rates (at P&S), and that is assuming UK prices haven't risen....

Sky? £48/mth for the basic package....although we don't bother with it.

We were in Albany, nr the North Shore apparantly it's one of the fastest growing towns in Auckland, and it wasn't just the cost of living, did I mention the rent was $450 per week ($1800 a month) and at todays exchange rate around the $2 to £1 works out at £900 a month for a house made out of weatherboard!! We felt that alot of information we were given was misleading too....e.g. put my eldest daughter (13) in high school she was looking forward to some of the sporting activities listed on the curriculum (equestrian, sailing) and when we asked the answer was "Oh we have a one day event where the girls who own horses bring them into school and one of the teachers has links to the local sailing club!!" To list something on the school curriculum that isn't actually offered is misleading and was disappointing for my daughter.

We have friends who moved over to NZ over 6 years ago, who got a good exchange rate for their English pound and have settled well, we think the economical timing and the location of our move were all barriers to our dream and we might have 'missed the boat' so to speak.

We brought a copy of the North Shore Times newspaper back with us and on the front page was an article about how the Salvation Army were inundated with requests for food parcels from the locals because they were struggling to make ends meet, and some families only had around 20% of their income to live off due to the high rental prices. :thumbdown: