engineering qaulifications

Old Aug 24th 2007, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default engineering qaulifications

hi all, I worked as an engineer (turner & CNC turner) for twenty one years then took a break from it for 5 years before going back to it a few weeks ago.
the idea behind returning to engineering is to give me more scope for work opportunities if we are selected for nz.
my questions is, will i need to get my engineering qualifications veryfied for me to be able to work in nz?
I wont be using them on the applications as my wife will be the main applicant.
I ask because here in the uk i have NEVER once been asked to provide evidence of my qualifications when going
for a job apart from on the initial application form.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 9:04 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: engineering qaulifications

Hi Col,

I think as you are not the main applicant you will only have to show evidence of you previous work experience. Your wife as the principle applicant will have her qualifications and registrations, if needed, more closely scrutinised.

Good luck.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 5:33 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colandros
hi all, I worked as an engineer (turner & CNC turner) for twenty one years then took a break from it for 5 years before going back to it a few weeks ago.
the idea behind returning to engineering is to give me more scope for work opportunities if we are selected for nz.
my questions is, will i need to get my engineering qualifications veryfied for me to be able to work in nz?
I ask because here in the uk i have NEVER once been asked to provide evidence of my qualifications when going

Hi

If you need the points especially if you have no job offer but your quals would put you over the 140 mark, then it is worth considering as there is a possible 20 points available.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

dont really need em for points, we've been selected from the pool with 135 points. my wife has had her qualifications verified by the nz ursing council and has recieved her practice cert. i just didnt know if i needed to dig em all out or not.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 2:25 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of engineering qualifications do you have? Are they accredited by the Engineering Council UK?
Old Aug 26th 2007, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

They are city&guilds qualifications in mech engineering and another in CNC programming.
On top of these there is a completion of apprenticeship cert.
As they were issued here in the uk i would pressume they are accredited when issued and recognised by any relevant official body in the uk.
I did have to have them accredited in the early 90's when we migrated to australia and i have probably still got the paperwork
and certificates issued then, although i wouldnt be sure where they are as i havent looked at them for 17 years and have moved house three times in that period.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 3:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

They are city&guilds qualifications in mech engineering and another in CNC programming.
On top of these there is a completion of apprenticeship cert.
As they were issued here in the uk i would pressume they are accredited when issued and recognised by any relevant official body in the uk.
Have you checked if they are recognised by the Engineering Council UK?
http://www.engc.org.uk

If they're not, then they may be trade qualifications of some description but they are not officially recognised engineering qualifications.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

I've had a quick look at the site but cant seen to find my stuff on there.
If they are not recognised why would they have been recognised by the aus council in 1990?
Old Aug 29th 2007, 2:02 am
JAJ
Retired

I've had a quick look at the site but cant seen to find my stuff on there.
If they are not recognised why would they have been recognised by the aus council in 1990?
Because maybe they are trade qualifications, not professional engineering qualifications? They may still be recognised by the relevant NZ trade qualifications body.

Last edited by JAJ; Aug 29th 2007 at 2:35 am.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

aahhh !!!!