Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

End of the Relationship, will the visa/permit be cancelled?

End of the Relationship, will the visa/permit be cancelled?

Old Jun 25th 2010, 7:10 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of the Relationship, will the visa/permit be cancelled?

I have a family category visa i.e. legally married wife of kiwi. I asked prior to signing the visa form what would happen if we split up, became estranged, got separated, got divorced or he died. The answer, apparently, is nothing. Well, that's what my husband says. I don't know what immigration's views would be in the event of any of the above. Better stay together for the five years it takes to get PR, i.e. my NZ passport !
Old Jun 27th 2010, 2:11 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie
I have a family category visa i.e. legally married wife of kiwi. I asked prior to signing the visa form what would happen if we split up, became estranged, got separated, got divorced or he died. The answer, apparently, is nothing. Well, that's what my husband says. I don't know what immigration's views would be in the event of any of the above. Better stay together for the five years it takes to get PR, i.e. my NZ passport !
Your last comment makes no sense ... it takes 5 years to get citizenship, not PR.

If you have permanent resident status you keep it ... is that what you have or not? (Perhaps go back to Square One and repeat your analysis).
Old Jun 27th 2010, 5:10 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi Ray and Debbie.

It sounds like you already have PR through a proven , stable relationship with your Kiwi husband. As JAJ has stated. Now you have PR it will be 5 years until you can apply for citizenship.

In Matewx & ex-partner's case it is different. He is on a temporary work visa and his partner of that time was granted an open temporary work visa on the back of that. The did have to prove their relationship to each other as we all have to do, but the visa will expire, unlike that of PR.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 8:47 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Hi Ray and Debbie.

It sounds like you already have PR through a proven , stable relationship with your Kiwi husband. As JAJ has stated. Now you have PR it will be 5 years until you can apply for citizenship.

In Matewx & ex-partner's case it is different. He is on a temporary work visa and his partner of that time was granted an open temporary work visa on the back of that. The did have to prove their relationship to each other as we all have to do, but the visa will expire, unlike that of PR.
I say BEVS knows her stuff
Old Jun 27th 2010, 1:04 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Your last comment makes no sense ... it takes 5 years to get citizenship, not PR.

If you have permanent resident status you keep it ... is that what you have or not? (Perhaps go back to Square One and repeat your analysis).
I will not be unsettled by that remark. I have a returning resident's visa. I will be granted a residence permit on arrival. I don't see the phrase, 'permanent resident' anywhere on my visa at present.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:08 pm
`

Hi Guys.

We need someone who has gone this route to clarify this for everyone. Dewb & MnB - where are you ?

As far as I am aware there should be 2 blue stickers in your UK passport.

One will be the RRV visa which allows you to enter and leave NZ.
The other would be your PR which gives your NZ status as being a Permanent Resident.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Guys.

We need someone who has gone this route to clarify this for everyone. Dewb & MnB - where are you ?

The other would be your PR which gives your NZ status as being a Permanent Resident.
That is correct - by the state of my blue stickers!!!
Berni
x
Old Jun 28th 2010, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

We need someone who has gone this route to clarify this for everyone.
If a 'genuine' couple split up and they had PR based on one's job the other would be allowed to stay.

HTH
Old Jun 28th 2010, 6:32 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys.

Spot on Bev

I have two blue stickers one is Residents visa, the other Returning Residents visa

Dewb
Old Jun 28th 2010, 11:03 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dewb09
Spot on Bev

I have two blue stickers one is Residents visa, the other Returning Residents visa

Dewb
Same here, RRV (current for 2 yrs) & Residence visa -- doesn't say Permanent, think this applies when RRV conditions met....as well as IRRV.
B x

Last edited by MnB; Jun 28th 2010 at 11:06 am.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Dewb09
Spot on Bev

Dewb
When did you get your other blue sticker, the Residents visa ? I've only got one sticker in my passport presently, my RRV. It says, 'The holder may travel to NZ and on application shall be granted a residence permit'. What does on application mean ? Is it done at the airport or do we apply to an office later on ?
Old Jun 29th 2010, 7:59 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

When did you get your other blue sticker, the Residents visa ? I've only got one sticker in my passport presently, my RRV. It says, 'The holder may travel to NZ and on application shall be granted a residence permit'. What does on application mean ? Is it done at the airport or do we apply to an office later on ?
That's strange, when I applied for PR I got 2 blue stickers, the 2yr RRV and the residence visa; that's what you should receive. Sounds like you need to contact NZIS to check on this.
The residence permit is granted as soon as you enter NZ and is stamped into your passport on arrival- no charge! It expires as soon as you leave NZ which is where the RRV comes in, allowing you to re enter NZ as a resident and be granted another residence permit. The actual 'residence visa' can only be used to enter NZ once.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 8:22 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Have you changed passports since being granted PR? If so the PR visa will be in your old one but as expired won't have been transferred maybe??
Old Jun 29th 2010, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

ragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud ofragdolls2 has much to be proud of

Hi - as the other have said when you get granted your permanent residency visa you have two blue stickers. 1) residence visa 2) returning residents visa. On arrival in NZ immigration stamp your passport with -
"Residence Permit holder may remain indefinately" Best Wishes
Old Jun 29th 2010, 10:32 am
`

I think the question more would be when did you get your RRV and how ?

An RRV is a Returning Residents Visa. It means that a person granted NZ residence may leave and re-enter NZ.

The two blue stickers are given at the same time as each other.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.