Emplyed by Uk company - can I live in NZ

Old Apr 25th 2016, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

poppet35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emplyed by Uk company - can I live in NZ

HI,

I've been trying to find something out but failed. Just wondering if any of you know the answer.
I work a deskjob in the UK (from home) for which I can live pretty much anywhere, on the agreement of my boss.
So my question is this: Can I apply to NZ to move there whilst keeping my current job paid by a UK firm (taxes will be paid in NZ - found that info out at least) - I will have a job and pay taxes - will it matter that I am employed by a UK firm? Will I be able to move to NZ?
If it won't matter does anyone know which visa you'd need to apply for.

Thank you so much in advance for your help - have failed miserably to find answer elsewhere.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 8:38 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emplyed by Uk company - can I live in NZ

unless you have enough points on the expression of inerest (EOI), you have lots of money to invest or have a partner that is a kiwi and been in that relationship solidly for 12mths the only option I think would be a working holiday visa if you are under 30, and that one I am not that sure about. it may be best to call NZ immigration in London and ask them. Or go do the points calculator and see what points you get.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/ please be aware that you can only claim some points if you have a job offer. see post 1 in this thread and take not of the text in blue http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...d-pool-810756/
Old Apr 27th 2016, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Puzzling one. Normally someone moving to work in NZ would be sponsored by their employer who would be an NZ firm (or the NZ arm of a multi-national).

I think you are asking if you could turn up in NZ and just live there because you were earning enough to support yourself from a UK job.

The aim for immigrants seems to be to contribute to NZ as a country through working for a NZ firm, inward investment, or coming to support your family (as in parents sponsored by children).

I don't think that just having an income is enough (unless it is pretty big).
Effectively your only contribution to NZ would be paying tax on your UK income.
You wouldn't be contributing to NZ business at all, by working for a local firm and helping them to grow and prosper.

From our point of view (retired) we have a guaranteed income but that is not enough to allow us to emigrate.

So from the information so far, probably not, sadly.

I do like the idea, though
Old Apr 30th 2016, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppet35
HI,

I've been trying to find something out but failed. Just wondering if any of you know the answer.
I work a deskjob in the UK (from home) for which I can live pretty much anywhere, on the agreement of my boss.
So my question is this: Can I apply to NZ to move there whilst keeping my current job paid by a UK firm (taxes will be paid in NZ - found that info out at least) - I will have a job and pay taxes - will it matter that I am employed by a UK firm? Will I be able to move to NZ?
If it won't matter does anyone know which visa you'd need to apply for.

Thank you so much in advance for your help - have failed miserably to find answer elsewhere.
If you qualify for a skilled migrant category resident visa without a job offer then you could be fine as if approved you'd be able to live study and work in nz without an nz job offer, however immigration would like to know at the interview stage how you expect to support yourself and your family and how you would settle. Telling them that you intend to keep your uk job but do it from nz could sway their decision either way ?
When considering allowing an immigrant into the country immigration expect that person to contribute to the long term prosperity of the country and the community where you live....I wouldn't expect just paying income tax on uk earnings would be enough...and what happens when you've been living in nz for 4 years and the double taxation rule expires...you may have to pay tax in both countries?

I'd say you'll have to look at a different type of visa like an entrepreneur visa or investor visa or something along those lines unless you have a route in via the family stream ?
Not really a straightforward case so I'd advise you to seek the services of a authorised advisor or immigration who can steer you in the right direction.
Old May 2nd 2016, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
When considering allowing an immigrant into the country immigration expect that person to contribute to the long term prosperity of the country and the community where you live....I wouldn't expect just paying income tax on uk earnings would be enough...and what happens when you've been living in nz for 4 years and the double taxation rule expires...you may have to pay tax in both countries?
Why wouldn't paying tax on income from a UK employer be "enough"? What has location of employer got to do with it I mean? It could be just as big a tax contribution as the next person.

I have never come across a double taxation treaty with an expiry date before. But in any case, if OP is carrying out the work whilst living in NZ there will be no liability to UK tax. Location of employer totally irrelevant.

Still I wouldn't do this anyway other than perhaps for the short term. It would be preferable to me to have income and expenses in the same currency and if I was moving to a new country I would want to properly join the workforce of that country, meet new people through work and integrate.
Old May 2nd 2016, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm. The 4 year exemption is nothing to do with the double taxation treaty. If you meet certain circumstances you can claim exemption from NZ tax for 49 months, thereafter you must declare it. However, in the OPs case this will not apply. Here's extract from the NZ gov.
"Foreign income that is not tax-exempt

These types of foreign income are not tax exempt in New Zealand:
  • Employment income from overseas employment performed while living in New Zealand.
  • Business income relating to services performed offshore.
If you have any of these types of income, you must declare them on your Individual tax return (IR3) from the date of your arrival in New Zealand."

BUT , you can of course apply for the DTT as soon as you arrive in NZ using form DTT Individual. I believe, that like here in the Philippines, you must have been out of UK for a complete tax year in order to claim.I had to wait 18 months before applying, but did get back the UK tax I had overpaid.
Old May 2nd 2016, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Whoops! hit wrong button!
So in effect you'll pay tax in NZ on your UK earnings and when you file the DTT Individual form you'll be credited for any tax paid in UK.
Old May 2nd 2016, 4:22 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Why wouldn't paying tax on income from a UK employer be "enough"? .
The quick answer is NZ immigration policy and visas.

The 4 year exemption is just that. An exemption. However ALL overseas investment and income from work or otherwise must be declared regardless. This includes pension funds.
Old May 2nd 2016, 4:33 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by poppet35

No. Not just like that. In order to live in New Zealand you will need an appropriate visa under one of the immigration categories

Are you looking to live in New Zealand long term please?

Is the business you work for relocating to New Zealand?