Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Which Emigration Company did you get advice from?

Which Emigration Company did you get advice from?

Old May 29th 2008, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

getmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud of
Default Which Emigration Company did you get advice from?

Hi all

I've read lots of posts on this matter and have taken the decision to try to do this immigration thing on our own without the help of an agent. Seems simple enough . . but I would like to know if anyone has used the services of an emigration agent that they would recommend just for advice. I want to phone up and pick their brains to make sure that we qualify and to ask a few things about our specific situation.

Can someone give me a recommendation? I don't mind paying a small fee if they would charge for this? I've googled migration agents and there are tons with fancy websites but who knows if they're honest and decent without knowing someone who has used them.

I'm certain we can do this on our own but just want some expert advice for peace of mind.
Old May 29th 2008, 11:26 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Which Emigration Company did you get advice from?

I didn't use an agent. Many people here do it themselves. Sometimes a quality agent can be a good thing but for the most part, if your application is straightforward, then you shouldn't need one.

Post up details of your occupations, qualifications and ages and we will all try and help you decide if you qualify or not. You'll find folk here very helpful.
Old May 30th 2008, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

getmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud ofgetmethere has much to be proud of
Default Re: Do We Qualify

Thanks BEVS - I'll give it a go.

Our ages are 33 and 30

Main applicant would be OH, he's an Environmental Auditor with a BSC Hons in Environmental Science and 1 year experience in this role (previous roles weren't related to qualifications).

I think that's all the important stuff. I've got a recognised degree too and first language is English for both of us. Never been to NZ, OH has a Great Aunt living there but I don't suppose she's close enough family to qualify for sponsorship.

Looking at it, I think perhaps our best shot is to get a job but it's difficult and expensive to get over for interviews (although we are hoping to plan a recce soon).

Thanks for your help.
Old May 30th 2008, 9:56 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Emigration Company did you get advice from?

Hi,

I would suggest doing it yourself rather than paying thousands to an agent. I am just about to send in my ITA [application for residence] and did it all myself. There are plenty of people on here who will help and the NZIS website is pretty helpful too.
Have you worked out how many points you will get-either use the points indicator or register and do a trial EOI,this will add up the points as you go through it and it can be saved so you can return at a later date.
You'd get 50 points for the main applicant's qualification and 10pts for yours. You also get 25 pts due to your ages. With only a year of work experience then I don't think you can gain any points for this.
Obviously if you can only get the above points then you would need a job offer to take you over the magic 100 mark. It may be better to check by doing an EOI as it's certainly possible I've missed something!

Good luck
Sue