British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Emigrating Prison Officer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/emigrating-prison-officer-873994/)

bikerider Mar 8th 2016 7:27 pm

Emigrating Prison Officer

I'm a serving Prison Officer of 12 years and looking to emigrate to the Hawkes Bay area with my family. Is this possible in the current climate and if so can anyone offer any advice regarding job and visa applications, what order to do things etc.

MrsFychan Mar 8th 2016 9:47 pm

Re: Emigrating Prison Officer

its on the list for skilled occupations so you would need to obtain a job offer from an accredited company if you don't have 140 points or over on the EOI point indicator.
https://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/

I found this which gives you an idea of what you would be expected to do and salary Corrections Officer - Hawkes Bay Regional Prison job - Department of Corrections - Hawke's Bay | Indeed.com

bikerider Mar 8th 2016 10:10 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I think the Department of Corrections has accredited employer status. I only make 130 points. Is is just a case of applying for a job, getting an offer and then applying for a visa?

Does anyone have experience of applying for Department of Corrections jobs from overseas?

Snap Shot Mar 8th 2016 11:36 pm

There's a poster on this site called, 'Fooferfish' I believe they work for the Dept of Corrections in NZ in Otago, a district on the South Island of New Zealand.

I don't know if they applied for a job in the NZ prison service prior to coming to NZ.

Here's a lovely little linky just for you:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...Prison+Service

It might not be relevant but it could be useful.

Robbie2010 Mar 8th 2016 11:55 pm

As long as you are currently employed in an overseas custodial facility, in a custodial role for 30 hours or more per week and had four or more year's custodial experience, then you can apply.

https://corrections.nga.net.nz/cp/in...E792118AB9C2BE

https://corrections.nga.net.nz/cp/in...ED6064EBA6FCE7

MrsFychan Mar 9th 2016 12:28 am

yes you would need to get a job offer that meets NZ immigration standards before you would be pulled from the pool.

You could start the process and then update the EOI but you do need to be aware that you need to pay to submit it and that it only stays in the pool for 6mths. So that would mean you would have to have a job offer within those 6mths

Pigdog Mar 13th 2016 10:27 pm

Hello, we're ex HMP, moved out in 2014. Started on a 12 month work visa, applied for PR after 3 months of getting here and got it.
It is a long process, we applied about 10 times to different jails, kept getting knock backs. One jail said we didn't have the experience, but then I only did 21 years HMP and husband only did 20 !!!!!

Why Hawkes Bay ? We started at Spring Hill as it was the only one that excepted us, 12 months later we transferred to Otago.

If you need any other advice or help, PM me and I'll try my best. VEDS was the best thing HMP ever gave us.

bikerider Mar 14th 2016 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Pigdog (Post 11894382)
Hello, we're ex HMP, moved out in 2014. Started on a 12 month work visa, applied for PR after 3 months of getting here and got it.
It is a long process, we applied about 10 times to different jails, kept getting knock backs. One jail said we didn't have the experience, but then I only did 21 years HMP and husband only did 20 !!!!!

Why Hawkes Bay ? We started at Spring Hill as it was the only one that excepted us, 12 months later we transferred to Otago.

If you need any other advice or help, PM me and I'll try my best. VEDS was the best thing HMP ever gave us.

Thanks for the advice I will PM you.

Pigdog Mar 18th 2016 3:10 am

Originally Posted by bikerider (Post 11894583)
Thanks for the advice I will PM you.

ive PM'd you back

silpar75 Mar 20th 2016 8:31 am

I know another pommie ex dep of corrections or similar, who is now in christchurch living there. He does not work in the same field anymore, but he is a resident as far as I know and he may have some info for you. His name is Dave and if you write to the Christchurch Tramping Club asking for him I am sure he can answer you some questions. (He is usually taking care of new members and some admin stuff)

My other advice is:

here in NZ they take in very high regard any one coming from UK with certificates and experience. They know it is a place with high competivity and stress and they always turn out suitable for the jobs. So in your emails to NZ employers please tell them you are coming to have the interview in person.

And please come for a month and knock doors. This is an advice for all of you: in NZ they receive milions of emails from overseas workers that want to come to NZ (or so they say) but many are also applying to Canada, USA, Australia etc and it has happened too frequently that the foreigner drops from the process for several dif reasons.
To DEMOSTRATE that you are seriious about this, you have to come in person. Also here is a bit of old style country for this: gibing your cv by email is necessary, but knocking on their doors in person 3 weeks later is serious. So come, make an itinerary, buy a cheap car or van for less than 4 000 NZ dollars (lots of cheap vehicles here) and hit the road for a written job offer to attach to your work permit. It takes very little to process. IN Christchurch for example, around 11 days.

good luck

Robbie2010 Mar 20th 2016 8:00 pm

None that will apply with Corrections!
Their wheels turn extremely slow!

Justcol Mar 21st 2016 12:46 am

Originally Posted by silpar75 (Post 11900678)
To DEMOSTRATE that you are seriious about this, you have to come in person. Also here is a bit of old style country for this: giving your cv by email is necessary, but knocking on their doors in person 3 weeks later is serious. So come, make an itinerary, buy a cheap car or van for less than 4 000 NZ dollars (lots of cheap vehicles here) and hit the road for a written job offer to attach to your work permit. It takes very little to process. IN Christchurch for example, around 11 days.

good luck

All of which is totally illegal and against the regulations of any visa you would be using to enter the country

This would not apply to corrections as there is no one to visit and job offers are not handed out over a desk
Do you even know what a corrections officer is, That is the worst advice I've ever seen on here for anyone
wishing to deal with a government agency

silpar75 Mar 25th 2016 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 11901152)
All of which is totally illegal and against the regulations of any visa you would be using to enter the country

This would not apply to corrections as there is no one to visit and job offers are not handed out over a desk
Do you even know what a corrections officer is, That is the worst advice I've ever seen on here for anyone
wishing to deal with a government agency

no corrections officer, here, he is asking for prisson officer, and prisons a few of them are private, from SEcure Furte and subcontracted to SERCO. It is illegal to come with the intention of looking for a job the web says, but you can apply for a work visa from INSIDE New Zealand if you are a tourist and got a job offer, so actually it is not applying what they say in the website.

And only 3 days ago a friend of mine, truck driver, arrived from Canada to CHCH airport, like many people looking for a job in chch rebuild every month, with CV and intention to get a visa and I told him to just say that he is a tourist to avoid problems and he said he will not lie so he said he is coming to search for a job as a truck driver (despite the profession not being in the skills shortage list it is actually a shortage and they know it).

You know what the agent said to him? "but if you do not get it you are leaving before 90 days, right?" He said "of course!". And he got a 90 days visa to look for a job and get a visa. He is now converting his license.

In case it was a gov agency run prison you apply online and see if they select you for an intervew by skype.
But some prisons are private so you can get a one year work visa through them, faster, if they want you.

Bexsball Apr 26th 2016 6:03 pm

Hi Pigdog

I'm trying to come over to NZ. I'm a prison officer and have been for the last 10 years.

Please could you tell me what the medical consists of? I can't PM you for some reason :(

Thank you very much x

Pollyana Apr 26th 2016 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Louloubexs (Post 11932845)
Hi Pigdog

I'm trying to come over to NZ. I'm a prison officer and have been for the last 10 years.

Please could you tell me what the medical consists of? I can't PM you for some reason :(

Thank you very much x

You can send pms once you have three posts, so you should be fine now.