Emigrating Prison Officer

Old Apr 26th 2016, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating Prison Officer

Originally Posted by Louloubexs
Hi Pigdog

I'm trying to come over to NZ. I'm a prison officer and have been for the last 10 years.

Please could you tell me what the medical consists of? I can't PM you for some reason

Thank you very much x
Mine was a while ago but it was just a general type medical, Blood pressure, hearing, eyesight, etc.

I'm red/green colour blind and that didn't seem to matter.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Bexsball is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
Mine was a while ago but it was just a general type medical, Blood pressure, hearing, eyesight, etc.

I'm red/green colour blind and that didn't seem to matter.
Was the hearing test an audio gram? As I have lost most of my hearing in my left ear so I'm unsure of whether I'd pass?

Last edited by MrsFychan; Apr 26th 2016 at 9:09 pm. Reason: fixing quotes
Old Apr 26th 2016, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine wasn't that technical, Doc just went behind me and whispered.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
Mine wasn't that technical, Doc just went behind me and whispered.
Really he he. How long ago was that?
Old Apr 26th 2016, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Would have been about 7 yrs ago now. I left about 5yrs ago and it hadn't changed then.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 9:59 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I have asked a friend who went through the process 18mths ago what he had to do and hopefully he will come back and let me know and obviously I will let you know. He has actually left now as he hated it.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
I have asked a friend who went through the process 18mths ago what he had to do and hopefully he will come back and let me know and obviously I will let you know. He has actually left now as he hated it.
MrsF

Thank you very much

Last edited by MrsFychan; Apr 26th 2016 at 10:05 pm. Reason: fixing quotes
Old Apr 27th 2016, 12:09 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

MrsF

Thank you very much
"Yup no worries medical consistent of hight, weight, blood pressure, eye sight and fitness test , but that's nothing to worry about. Anybody I know applying...?"

I did tell him no to anyone he knows. He went on to explain about the fitness test consisting of obstacles course, set time limits to open padlocks, balance test walking beans, walking a set amount of time and various other tests around the role
Old Apr 27th 2016, 6:05 am

just to clarify this person came over on the back of his partners skilled visa, so he did not gain entry/visa through getting the prison job or any job for that matter.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 8:16 am
Just Joined

"Yup no worries medical consistent of hight, weight, blood pressure, eye sight and fitness test , but that's nothing to worry about. Anybody I know applying...?"

I did tell him no to anyone he knows. He went on to explain about the fitness test consisting of obstacles course, set time limits to open padlocks, balance test walking beans, walking a set amount of time and various other tests around the role
Sounds relatively straight forward. I'm going to start applying.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Pigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud of

Was the hearing test an audio gram? As I have lost most of my hearing in my left ear so I'm unsure of whether I'd pass?
I work with several officers who wear hearing aids. Corrections are more interested in what experience you have.
Old Oct 11th 2016, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

MickeyBekker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pigdog
Hello, we're ex HMP, moved out in 2014. Started on a 12 month work visa, applied for PR after 3 months of getting here and got it.
It is a long process, we applied about 10 times to different jails, kept getting knock backs. One jail said we didn't have the experience, but then I only did 21 years HMP and husband only did 20 !!!!!

Why Hawkes Bay ? We started at Spring Hill as it was the only one that excepted us, 12 months later we transferred to Otago.

If you need any other advice or help, PM me and I'll try my best. VEDS was the best thing HMP ever gave us.
Hi from South Africa.

My cousin's husband is also a prison officer and he got a job offer to work in NZ. He isnt sure which visa to look for. What visa did u apply for that was valid for 12 months before applying for the PR?

Regards
Old Oct 11th 2016, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by MickeyBekker
Hi from South Africa.

My cousin's husband is also a prison officer and he got a job offer to work in NZ. He isnt sure which visa to look for. What visa did u apply for that was valid for 12 months before applying for the PR?

Regards
you would need a work to residency visa which is a 2 year visa then after that you apply for a residency from work visa if you still fit the criteria, then 2 years after that you apply for visa with no travel conditions, if you met the criteria then 5 years after that you can apply for citizenship.

please be aware that rules changed yesterday/today and you now need 160 points to qualify for a visa.
Old Oct 11th 2016, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

MickeyBekker is an unknown quantity at this point

you would need a work to residency visa which is a 2 year visa then after that you apply for a residency from work visa if you still fit the criteria, then 2 years after that you apply for visa with no travel conditions, if you met the criteria then 5 years after that you can apply for citizenship.

please be aware that rules changed yesterday/today and you now need 160 points to qualify for a visa.
Thank you for the reply.

Is the 160 point only for Permanent Residency or for the work visa aswell?

Regards
Old Oct 12th 2016, 3:30 am

yes you need to submit a EOI