British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Emigrating checklist? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/emigrating-checklist-529212/)

NIKKI SNELL Apr 14th 2008 11:29 am

Emigrating checklist?

Hi

Myself and my paterner are going to NZ on a holiday visa at the end of our summer in UK.

We will be looking for jobs and then hopefully get a temp work permit for 3 years and then apply for residency under family stream.

The thing is i am a bit over whelmed by what we need to do before we go..... has anyone got a checklist i can use?

thanks

newkiwi Apr 14th 2008 4:48 pm

Re: Emigrating checklist?

Originally Posted by NIKKI SNELL (Post 6205906)
Hi

Myself and my paterner are going to NZ on a holiday visa at the end of our summer in UK.

We will be looking for jobs and then hopefully get a temp work permit for 3 years and then apply for residency under family stream.

The thing is i am a bit over whelmed by what we need to do before we go..... has anyone got a checklist i can use?

thanks

Hi
I dont have a checlist as such, but this is prob a start:

Apply for Working Holiday Visa
Decide where in NZ you want to go to
Book flights
Book removals (air freight/ shipping)
Get Police clearance certificates (if required)
Get health checks (if required)
Get evidence of being a de facto couple (utility bills to same address, photos of holidays together, making wills and naming each other as beneficiaries isnt a bad idea, getting stat declarations from family members attesting to the fact that the two of you are a couple in an exclusive and stable relationship)
Sort out employment references (important: NZ employers actually do phone references in the UK, well mine did anyway)
References from landlords for accommodation will be useful too
Cancel rent/ sell house/ rent out house in the UK
Close unnessary bank accounts in the UK (id suggest keeping one account open, as well as keeping your credit cards open until you get your NZ credit cards sorted out)
Open bank account in NZ
Sort our accommodation for first few weeks in NZ
Get CV up to date
Email CV to prospective employers a month or so before youre planning to leave
HAVE FUN AND KEEP A POSITIVE ATTITUDE

By the way, if you get the required points you dont have to get a 3 year work permit frst, you can apply for permanent residency anytime you have enough points.

NIKKI SNELL Apr 15th 2008 10:51 am

thats very helpful. thank you

jorose Apr 16th 2008 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by newkiwi (Post 6207503)
Hi
I dont have a checlist as such, but this is prob a start:

Apply for Working Holiday Visa
Decide where in NZ you want to go to
Book flights
Book removals (air freight/ shipping)
Get Police clearance certificates (if required)
Get health checks (if required)
Get evidence of being a de facto couple (utility bills to same address, photos of holidays together, making wills and naming each other as beneficiaries isnt a bad idea, getting stat declarations from family members attesting to the fact that the two of you are a couple in an exclusive and stable relationship)
Sort out employment references (important: NZ employers actually do phone references in the UK, well mine did anyway)
References from landlords for accommodation will be useful too
Cancel rent/ sell house/ rent out house in the UK
Close unnessary bank accounts in the UK (id suggest keeping one account open, as well as keeping your credit cards open until you get your NZ credit cards sorted out)
Open bank account in NZ
Sort our accommodation for first few weeks in NZ
Get CV up to date
Email CV to prospective employers a month or so before youre planning to leave
HAVE FUN AND KEEP A POSITIVE ATTITUDE

By the way, if you get the required points you dont have to get a 3 year work permit frst, you can apply for permanent residency anytime you have enough points.

Great post. In our case we are over 30 so working holiday visa is out for us. What would be the best thing to do in our case? Thanks.

Jo:)

happynz Apr 16th 2008 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by jorose (Post 6219825)
Great post. In our case we are over 30 so working holiday visa is out for us. What would be the best thing to do in our case? Thanks.

Jo:)

Come here as visitors, interview, get job offers and then apply for temporary work permits. There you are, done and dusted! :D

jorose Apr 17th 2008 6:36 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 6220248)
Come here as visitors, interview, get job offers and then apply for temporary work permits. There you are, done and dusted! :D

Thanks. So basically one you leave UK you are taking a chance on finding employment?

Thanks again.

Jo :)

happynz Apr 17th 2008 6:47 am

Originally Posted by jorose (Post 6221200)
Thanks. So basically one you leave UK you are taking a chance on finding employment?

Thanks again.

Jo :)

He who dares wins, ya gotta be in to win, ya gotta play for it to pay, no guts no glory...and a whole bunch of other platitudes. No guarantees, but hell, back yourself, persevere and you can make it work.