British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Electronics Engineer vs. Electronics Engineering Technician (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/electronics-engineer-vs-electronics-engineering-technician-789713/)

wellingauckay Mar 7th 2013 4:28 am

Electronics Engineer vs. Electronics Engineering Technician

Hello everyone!!

This is my very first post and I am looking forward to receiving inputs from all of you guys.

I'm an Electronics Engineer, and have been working in Semiconductor companies in Asia.

I am a graduate of B.S. Electronics and Communications Engineering and got a PAR results of Level 7 from NZQA.

Now, I am planning to submit an EOI, and thinking of nominating 'Electronics Engineer' as my occupation in the LTSSL.

However, as we know, nominating an "Engineer" occupation would require a certification from IPENZ which is not an easy feat, especially if you do not have NZ work experience.

In this regard, I am thinking of nominating the Electronics Engineering TECHNICIAN occupation instead since my education matches the requirement, and my previous jobs, although have "Engineer" title are relevant to the duties of a Technician.

Has anyone gone through this path (i.e. in any other Engineering field)? Could kindly you share to me your experiences?

Thanks !!

msmyrtle Mar 7th 2013 6:45 am

Re: Electronics Engineer vs. Electronics Engineering Technician

Originally Posted by wellingauckay (Post 10588741)
Hello everyone!!

This is my very first post and I am looking forward to receiving inputs from all of you guys.

I'm an Electronics Engineer, and have been working in Semiconductor companies in Asia.

I am a graduate of B.S. Electronics and Communications Engineering and got a PAR results of Level 7 from NZQA.

Now, I am planning to submit an EOI, and thinking of nominating 'Electronics Engineer' as my occupation in the LTSSL.

However, as we know, nominating an "Engineer" occupation would require a certification from IPENZ which is not an easy feat, especially if you do not have NZ work experience.

In this regard, I am thinking of nominating the Electronics Engineering TECHNICIAN occupation instead since my education matches the requirement, and my previous jobs, although have "Engineer" title are relevant to the duties of a Technician.

Has anyone gone through this path (i.e. in any other Engineering field)? Could kindly you share to me your experiences?

Thanks !!

Disclaimer: I haven't gone down this path in NZ but have had my qualifications assessed.

Is your university's program a member of the Washington Accord? If yes, then there shouldn't be any problem.

If no, is your engineering degree a 3 or 4 year Bachelors? Four-year Bachelor's are more likely to be assessed as an 'Engineer' whereas 3-year programs are more likely to be considered as 'Engineer Technologists/Technicians' If you have a 3-year degree but considerable work experience, you may be able to submit a career summary and hope for a positive outcome.

Hope that helps.