British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   electricin with TEC qualifications (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/electricin-tec-qualifications-530273/)

paulh59 Apr 18th 2008 12:59 pm

electricin with TEC qualifications

Hello All
Please bear with me as I am new to this and seem to be confusing myself.
I am an Electrician with more years experience than I dare to mention(read that as old). My college qualifications are from the TEC (1981)which is the original BTEC qualifications and is a level 3 electrical engineering certificate. Is this qualification the same level as the c&g carrying the same points? and do I have to have them verified or are they deemed "common" qualifications.
Thanks in advance
Paul

robdee Apr 18th 2008 5:17 pm

Re: electricin with TEC qualifications

hello mate

the best thing you can do is to get your qualifications assessed by the ERWB (electricial workers regestration board) you will need to send them copys of all your certificates as well as a very comprehensive cv listing the type of work you do and any work references you have it takes about 10 weeks to get an answer out of them. and i dare say that you will need to sit the regs exam like the rest of us.

hope this helps let me know how you get on.
ps.you will also need to do the health and saftey trainning before thay will let you near a site.

paulh59 Apr 18th 2008 5:49 pm

Cheer's Robdee, I gathered I would need to do the ERWB but not this soon! I was hoping to put in an EOI and then start the nz electrician registration, however I can't claim the skilled points without some form of qualification recognition. The btec HNC and HND is on the list but not the "certificate". It is supposed to fall somewhere in between the C&G craft certificate and a HNC.
Paul

robdee Apr 20th 2008 9:26 am

hello mate yes you will need to get cracking on the ERWB side of things but for your EOI you will need to contact NZQA and get assessed there that will get you the points and a grade for the EOI. The ERWB is more for when you get to NZ but getting it sorted now can only be a bonus. the health and safety course that metioned can be done in NZ house in london you'll need to contact a guy called nick chandler the course costs about £300 but book early.

alll the best rob

aalls73 Apr 20th 2008 8:50 pm

my hubby is a qual electrician too and we were having the same prob as you didnt want to fill in our EOI because it wouldn't recognise his quals but we spoke to immigration at the expo in leeds and she said just make YES where it says are your quals recognised in nz and then register with and send all docs to EWRB. my husband rang the EWRB to confirm this and the gentleman on the phone was very helpful and he confirmed that this was the way to go..
If you have any questions your best bet is to contact London House.
Hope this helps
:D

paulh59 Apr 21st 2008 9:31 pm

Re: electrician with TEC qualifications

Sorry for not coming back quicker. aalls73 can you tell me what qualification your hubby had? I think we will probably take your advice and proceed your way at least things will get moving. It looks like I have a lot of paperwork to sieve through. Everyone says don't use an agent but it is tempting.......:o

paulh59 Apr 21st 2008 9:37 pm

Hey Robdee is the health and safety cert the same as the st john's ambulance "appointed person" cert. Most big companies and building sites in the Uk require this for at least one of the site operatives/supervisors and If they leave site work should stop.

paulh59 May 18th 2008 9:11 pm

Re: electrician with TEC qualifications

I had good news from the nzqa my qualification is actually better than I had thought. It actually came out as a level 4 not the 3 I expected.
Onward and upwards..................:D