Electrician Advice Required

Old Jan 26th 2009, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

HopefulScot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician Advice Required

Hi there. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on whether to continue with a hope and dream of moving and working in New Zealand. I am 37 years old and a time served Electrician with 9 years work experience. However, that was 12 years ago but do still keep my hand in with homers etc. I changed careers for job security and family reasons.

I no longer enjoy what I'm doing and was considering in returning to my trade. As I obviously have the certified Qualifications in Electrical Engineering, would I still be considered for New Zealand due to me not being a current praticing Electrician.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Electrician Advice Required

Originally Posted by HopefulScot
Hi there. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on whether to continue with a hope and dream of moving and working in New Zealand. I am 37 years old and a time served Electrician with 9 years work experience. However, that was 12 years ago but do still keep my hand in with homers etc. I changed careers for job security and family reasons.

I no longer enjoy what I'm doing and was considering in returning to my trade. As I obviously have the certified Qualifications in Electrical Engineering, would I still be considered for New Zealand due to me not being a current praticing Electrician.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Hi there, my hubby has got a WTR visa through being an electrician and I'm pretty certain you have to be currently working as a electrician. Mind you dont quote me on this! Might be an idea to go to the NZIS website and start an EOI that way you can see the sort of questions you are asked, and your total points. Also the EWRB website is very useful and you would need to go through them to get your quals assesed.
Good luck, hope someone will be along to correct me. Also somewhere on here is info about the 'skilled migrant' just cant think where, will probably find it once this has been submitted.!
Old Jan 26th 2009, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by alchris
Hi there, my hubby has got a WTR visa through being an electrician and I'm pretty certain you have to be currently working as a electrician. Mind you dont quote me on this! Might be an idea to go to the NZIS website and start an EOI that way you can see the sort of questions you are asked, and your total points. Also the EWRB website is very useful and you would need to go through them to get your quals assesed.
Good luck, hope someone will be along to correct me. Also somewhere on here is info about the 'skilled migrant' just cant think where, will probably find it once this has been submitted.!
Hi just looked on NZIS it says if you have a trade qualification and at least 2 years experience, although I'm sure you best check it out for yourself
Old Jan 26th 2009, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby had to show all the work exp he had dating back to when he served his apprentiship, i think you have to have been doing it for atleast last 4 years .. you could always phone and explain that its what you want to ogo back to and try get a job so in stronger position , my hubbys work are crying out for sparks they were needing 50 and they have a dozen so far so there def work to be had

anyway good luck, let us know how you get on
caz
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Location: Colchester, U.K. heading towards sunny Saskatoon.....
demontrucker is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there,
im a sparky too and also hold my hgv, bit of a long story but we were originally looking at Oz but were put off by the spiders etc, (more to it than that but i dont want to bore everyone) then we turned our attentions towards Canada who are desperate for HGV drivers. Got all the application forms in front of me but we just weren't 100% behind that plan, so are looking now at New Zealand where we also have family living.
Hopefulscot, maybe we could keep eachother informed of any findings and processing? Also feel free to pm me, if you are wanting to get back into sparkying in this country you will need to get your 17th edition exam (now known as BS7671 2008) and i have lots of course material i could forward onto you. If its anything like the immigration process for Oz for a sparky it is hellishly long winded and if i may say so, a little farcical. Oz make you do skills recognition exams here to prove you can do what your high standard certificates say you can do, then when you get there you cannot work unsupervised until you gain the Ozzie equivalent exams, (you are a low paid adult trainee during this time), then when you are qualified you will be lucky to earn anywhere near an Aussie sparky.
I'm sure i'll be slated and corrected left right and centre but Im only saying what i found and also read from others on this forum....
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya

My hubby sat his 17th edition exam just prior to us wanting to immigrate and also a new health and safety exam that has to be sat now, changes or something... you have to have a regs cert or a provisional my hubby just done his on friday last week on the job it was basicaly just being taught stuff dont think an exam at all, he posted it off signed last night for his provi card , once that comes he will get a 2 dollar wage rise yippee lol... there are full reg exams in june in wellinton that he going to do ... he said the one last week very easy

took us from ju;y to apply and we moved here beggining of dec , aslong as you have all your work exp and cert im sure it will be fine

caz