Is EILTS required for all?

Old May 31st 2008, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

beater is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is EILTS required for all?

My EOI was selected in the last draw from the pool , but I have not yet received any email contact from ITA to confirm this. In this meantime I have decided to start preparing my documentation in preparation. One question though... English is not my home language. Does this mean I will have to do an EILTS? I did not claim any points for English proficiency in my EOI, so I'm wondering if I will still have to do the EILTS regardless. I'm not scared of doing it, but I've heard there is a very long waiting list. I'm also wondering if my wife will have to do the EILTS as well, as we only applied for skilled migration based on my qualifications and not hers. She will probably not even work in the first year or two as we also have two small children that needs tending.
Old May 31st 2008, 8:14 pm
Cat (Mad) Sitter

Location: Anywhere and Everywhere, we're International House Sitters! :)
Water Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Is EILTS required for all?

Hi there, I believe you CANNOT claim any points for language ability anyway, as it is actually a pre-requisite that you must have an appropriate level of English before you can be granted residency.

I received my ITA recently and the section referring to Language Ability reads:

"Do you meet any of the minimum standards of English, as defined in the Application for Residence Guide (NZIS 1105)?"

Well, this is what the above Guide says:

SM5.5 Minimum standard of English language for principal applicants

a. Applications under the Skilled Migrant Category must be declined if the principal applicant has not met the minimum standard of English.

b. Principal applicants under the Skilled Migrant Category meet the minimum standard of English if:

i. they provide a test report form (no more than two years old at the time the application is lodged) from the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), showing they achieved an overall band score of at least 6.5 in the IELTS General or Academic module; or

ii. they provide evidence that their recognised qualification(s):

* was gained as a result of a course or courses of study in which English was the only medium of instruction; and

* (if that qualification was gained in new Zealand) the qualification had a minimum completion time of at least two years or it is a post-graduate qualification and the applicant has an undergraduate qualification that qualifies for points; or

iii. They have current skilled employment in new Zealand for a period of at least 12 months that qualifies for points (see sm7); or

iv. They provide other evidence which satisfies a visa or immigration officer that, taking account of that evidence and all the circumstances of the application, they are a competent user of English. These circumstances may include but are not limited to:

* the country in which the applicant currently resides;
* the country(ies) in which the applicant has previously resided;
* the duration of residence in each country;
* whether the applicant speaks any language other than English;
* whether members of the applicant’s family speak English;
* whether members of the applicant’s family speak any language other than English;
* the nature of the applicant’s current or previous employment (if any) and whether that is or was likely to require skill in English language;
* the nature of the applicant’s qualifications (if any) and whether the obtaining of those qualifications was likely to require skill in the English language.[/LIST]
c. In any case, a visa or immigration officer may require an applicant to provide an IELTS certificate in terms of paragraph (b)(i). In such cases, the IELTS certificate will be used to determine whether the principal applicant meets the minimum standard of English.

As for your wife, she will also have to prove her language ability, regardless of whether she's going to work straight away or not, and regardless of the fact that you haven't claimed any points for her. I know this because this is my case! We are going on my husband's application entirely, we couldn't claim any points for myself as my qualification is not recognised, but as a non-native English speaker, I still have to prove my language ability.

This is what the guide says regarding the secondary applicant's language ability:

SM5.10 English language requirements for non-principal applicants

a. Unless sm5.15 below applies, partners and dependent children aged 16 and older, who are included in Skilled Migrant Category applications, must:

i. show that they meet a minimum standard of English to enable successful settlement in new Zealand, or

ii. pre-purchase ESOL training, or

iii. provide other evidence which satisfies a visa or immigration officer that, taking account of that evidence and all the circumstances of the application, they are a competent user of English (see sm5.5 (b)(iv) above).

b. Non-principal applicants meet the minimum standard of English if:

i. they provide a test report form (no more than two years old at the time the application is lodged) from IELTS, showing they achieved an overall band score of at least 5 in the IELTS General or Academic module, or

ii. (if they are the partner of a principal applicant), they have current skilled employment in new Zealand for a period of at least 12 months that qualifies for points (see sm10); or

iii. they provide evidence of one of the following:

* completion of all primary education and at least three years of secondary education (that is, the equivalent of new Zealand forms three to five or years nine to 11) at schools using English as the language of instruction;
* completion of at least five years of secondary education (that is, the equivalent of new Zealand forms three to seven or years nine to 13) at schools using English as the language of instruction;
* completion of a course of at least three years duration leading to the award of a tertiary qualification at institutions using English as the language of instruction;
* that the applicant holds General Certificate of Education (GCE) “A” levels from Britain or Singapore with a minimum c pass (the passes must specifically include the subjects English Language or Literature, or Use of English);
* that the applicant holds International Baccalaureate – full diploma in English Medium;
* that the applicant holds Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English – minimum C pass;
* that the applicant holds Hong Kong Advanced Level Examinations (HKALE) including a minimum C pass in Use of English;
* that the applicant holds STPM 920 (Malaysia) – A or B pass in English Literature;
* that the applicant holds university of Cambridge in collaboration with University of Malaya, General Certificate of English (GCE) “A” levels with a minimum C pass. The passes must specifically include the subjects English or General Paper;
* that the applicant holds South African Matriculation Certificate, including a minimum D pass in English (Higher grade);
* that the applicant holds South African senior certificate, including a minimum D pass in English (Higher grade), endorsed with the words ‘matriculation exempt’;
* that the applicant holds a New Zealand tertiary entrance Qualification gained on completing the seventh form.

c. in any case, a visa or immigration officer may require an applicant to provide an IELTS certificate in terms of paragraph (b)(i). In such cases, the IELTS certificate will be used to determine whether the applicant meets the minimum standard of English.

If your wife doesn't meet any of the requirements above, and she does not want to take an IELTS test, she can also do the following:

SM5.20 Pre-purchase of ESOL tuition

a. Instead of meeting the minimum standard of English, non-principal applicants may pre-purchase ESOL tuition. ESOL tuition must be pre-purchased from TEC (Tertiary Education Commission) by paying the required charge to the NZIS (who collect this charge on behalf of TEC).

b. Applicants must pay any ESOL charge due, sign the ESOL Agreement and return it to the NZIS within the time specified by the NZIS before a residence visa is issued or a residence permit is granted.

Note: to be issued or granted a work visa or permit under WR6 any ESOL charge due must be paid and the ESOL Agreement returned to the NZIS within the time specified by the NZIS.

This should hopefully answer your questions!!

Good luck!

Last edited by Water Lily; May 31st 2008 at 8:19 pm.
Old May 31st 2008, 8:23 pm
Cat (Mad) Sitter

Water Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is EILTS required for all?

Welcome to the forum by the way

Where are you based? If you're in the UK you may have to wait a month before you can take the test, as the spaces are quite limited and there are only a small number of centres where you can take the test.

I booked my test at the end of February and was lucky enough to find a centre with available spaces for the 8th March, but most of them were giving me the end of March and April/May as the only available dates.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Water Lily
Welcome to the forum by the way

Where are you based? If you're in the UK you may have to wait a month before you can take the test, as the spaces are quite limited and there are only a small number of centres where you can take the test.

I booked my test at the end of February and was lucky enough to find a centre with available spaces for the 8th March, but most of them were giving me the end of March and April/May as the only available dates.
Thank you very much for the detailed response. I think I will follow your advise and make a booking for both me and my wife to do the IELTS test ASAP, to avoid any further delays with the ITA thing finally happens.

Actually I'm not in the UK. I'm South African, but this is the only forum I could find that covers NZ emigation, so I subscribed anyway. I heard from hearsay that the waiting period for an IELTS test is 6 months or longer over here in Cape Town where I'm based, but I'll have to confirm that. There is a huge emigration drive in South Africa relating to what is happening in Zimbabwe, xenophobia, crime, education and whole list of other reasons. Most people are going to Australia, but we chose NZ because the lifestyle seems more to what we are used to. Personally I was never keen on emigrating, but we have two small children and feel worried about their future when so many things are detoriorating in my country.

So doing the IELTS tests is a small price to pay in order to gain a better future for my children. I was just hoping to avoid the IELTS test in order to save a bit of time.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:30 am
Cat (Mad) Sitter

No problem, happy to help!

The reasons you give for wanting to move are the same reasons used by many people here, particularly those with young children, so you can find some solace in the thought that you are not alone.

The UK is fast becoming a scary place, where young people have no respect for anything or anyone, and laugh in the face of authority. Where criminals literally get away with murder, and illegal immigrants and lazy layabouts seem to have more rights than hard-working citizens.

Best of luck with your IELTS, hope you don't have to wait 6 months for it!
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Water Lily
No problem, happy to help!

Best of luck with your IELTS, hope you don't have to wait 6 months for it!
Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. Well, we are booked now for IELTS on Sept 6th. That was the earliest available date, and at least its sooner than I expected.