Is it easier to get into NZ than OZ ?

Old Oct 12th 2008, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

weepedro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it easier to get into NZ than OZ ?

Recently had some bad news with regard my TRA results for OZ despite me doing an apprenticeship and being in my trade for 16 years, I currently run my department and have worked in Bermuda before yet they say "Despite your apprenticeship you haven't provided any proof of any structured program of training" So basically because I did my apprenticeship in house and didn't do any college courses etc they say my qualifications aren't good enough, the way it stands is that my apprentice I am currently training would probably walk the TRA because he is doing a course that wasn't available when I started out when I left school

Not sure what my next step regarding OZ is yet but I am looking into whats involved with a work placed skills assessment through a registered training organisation. Costs, time scale etc depending.

Is the NZ immigration for jobs on the skilled shortage list as strict as the Australian one (TRA)

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 11:15 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Is it easier to get into NZ than OZ ?

Both countries use ANZSCO as their base line .

You don't say what your trade/occupation is. NZIS set skill levels for occupations they regard as 'skilled.

If you have trade qualifications and work experience, then all of this would need to be assessed by NZQA & NZQA would decide whether or not your overseas quals and work exp. matches the level required.

I will say at this point that when NZ decided to take on the ANZSCO approach, I did ask NZQA who was to assess relevant work experience, as that can substitute for formal quals, and they did not know. Their reply was that they only assessed qualifications.

An in-house apprenticeship shouldn't bar the way if the training ended in a recognised trade qual i.e. C&G / NVQ etc.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

weepedro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it easier to get into NZ than OZ ?

Well I am a Boat Builder/Repairer and also Yacht Spray Painter but obviously the former is the one I would be trying to get in with. I am currently looking into my trade qualifications but not sure they have been registered or whatever its called with anyone so it could be just my trade lines I got from my work I have done other courses recently to do with management and stuff, they were NVQ/City and Guilds but for my actual trade I dont think I have anything like that and everything learned was from my tradesman who taught me. As I say I am looking into whether there is a way to prove my training but I'm not willing to throw too much money at it, they recent knockback has kind of taken the wind out my sails a bit (excuse the pun) If I was under 30 I doubt I would have a problem and could probably just go over and get a job, but I'm 32 now and its all becoming a bit difficult, there is plenty of work for me and I have a lot of people interested after sending them my CV but looks like only if I get there on my own so they dont seem willing to help me/sponsor me

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Both countries use ANZSCO as their base line .

You don't say what your trade/occupation is. NZIS set skill levels for occupations they regard as 'skilled.

If you have trade qualifications and work experience, then all of this would need to be assessed by NZQA & NZQA would decide whether or not your overseas quals and work exp. matches the level required.

I will say at this point that when NZ decided to take on the ANZSCO approach, I did ask NZQA who was to assess relevant work experience, as that can substitute for formal quals, and they did not know. Their reply was that they only assessed qualifications.

An in-house apprenticeship shouldn't bar the way if the training ended in a recognised trade qual i.e. C&G / NVQ etc.