dual pension entitlement

Old Oct 2nd 2008, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

RIPPED-OFF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default dual pension entitlement

I'm an ex-pat kiwi, been resident in UK since 1975.
I have full uk pension rights after 30+years PAYING UK NIC!

If I return to NZ by May 2010 I will have complied with the residence requirements for my NZ Super pension by the time I reach 65.

Why should I not be able to claim NZ super and draw down my UK State pension and pay tax on it.
It seems immoral to me that I am told I cannot have the UK pension which I have paid into for over 30 years.
If I get NZ Super - non contributory remember - the govt take my UK pension and pay me. If there is a short fall they make up the difference to NZ super level, but if a surplus then they keep the rest.

I was brought up in a NZ which prided itself on equality and fairness. Seems fairness has two faces nowadays.

I dont want your reciprocal agreement, I have worked and paid my dues in both countries.
NZ Super - I qualify as a right under residency
UK State pension - I qualify as a paying contributor for 30+yrs
Play the game by the rules and pay me what I am entitled to.
I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling hard done by here.
Lets do something about
Old Oct 4th 2008, 3:52 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: dual pension entitlement

This discussion has been aired a number of times on this forum and others, and has been a hot topic amongst political pressure groups for a while.

The fundamental problem is that the NZ scheme is non contributory, and all non contributory schemes are inherently unfair.

Look at it this way.. if you come back to NZ you will be paying NZ income tax for what.. 15 years? Yet you will get a full NZ Super, the same as a Kiwi who has been paying NZ tax for 45 years. Is that fair to the Kiwi who's stayed at home?

Why should 15 years tax get you the same super rights as 45?

Last edited by NakiMan; Oct 4th 2008 at 3:55 am.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

It wouldnt be 15 it would be 19 as I was in nz from birth to 24yrs.

NZ super has no contributory factor, just a residency requirement.
I didnt make the rules, but dont see that If I qualify as a right fo NZ super why I shouldnt get it and pay tax on my UK pension as additional income.

Had I paid into a private plan that is how it would work

As I said I didnt make the rules but I do qualify for both under their respective requirements.
At least I should get the higher of the two amounts, whether it be NZ super or the UK pension.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

dont forget you dont need to work or pay tax at all to qualify for NZ Super so however long I pay tax for I am still putting more into the sysytem than someone who doesnt work at all and claims of the state all their life - they still get super for 45 plus yrs of idleness. It doesnt matter how you argue the fact is that NZ super is how it is - rightly or wrongly - and all I am saying is that according to the individual rules I am entitled to both
Old Oct 7th 2008, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

I see the "foreigner" hasnt bothered to answer, and I should think not.
He goes on about the stay at home kiwi, what about the non native incomers.
I note he hasnt made any mention of citizenship application for himself - just permanent residence rights.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:20 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Hasn't anyone ever told you that insult is the last resort of someone who knows they've lost an argument. Take a look at what Pallin said about Obama last week.

If you must know -

I worked (and paid Tax and NI) for 40 years in the UK, so I will qualify for a full UK state pension in 2013.

I do not qualify for NZ super, since I was 58 when I arrived in New Zealand in 2006.

I intend to apply for NZ citizenship in 2010 as soon as I qualify

And I resent being referred to as a "foreigner", especially by someone who hasn't lived in NZ since 1975

Last edited by NakiMan; Oct 7th 2008 at 9:44 pm.